Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demobeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Sean and I have been brewing for 4 years now. However, I just ran into an issue…my Ink Bird is reading 63-64 in the thermowell, but my tilts (yes I put two in to double check the first one when this issue started.) are reading 70-72. Does anyone have any idea? The tilts are sitting in the middle of the coil therefore, they should be at the lowest temperature. And thank Bert is sitting just outside the coil in the thermowell so I would think that would be a little bit higher. I’ve never had this issue as anyone else I’m tracking both temperatures.

Attachments

• IMG_2739.png
    IMG_2739.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2738.jpeg
    IMG_2738.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2740.mov
    11.8 MB
How active is the fermentation while you're seeing this? If "not very," it could be stratification, i.e. it's warmer at the top (where your tilts are) than in the middle (where your inkbird probe is). Did you by any chance initially cool the wort (right after the boil) in your fermenter?

Also, what's the ambient temperature? If a temp probe fits very loosely in a thermowell, the opening to the environment can influence the temperature at the probe.

And finally, your inkbird (or tilts) could be out of calibration.

Latest posts

Back