Fermenter temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccollu

Reaction score
I have a glycol chiller that connects to a temp twister coil inside of my fermenter and the temperature probe from the chiller is inside a thermowell that goes down parallel to the coil, approximately 3 inches away. I also have a Tilt hydrometer inside the fermenter. My chiller has no problem maintaining my set temperature for the recipe I'm brewing, however, my Tilt hydrometer that is showing the temperature of the wort is 5-6 degrees different. I've calibrated everything so I know the numbers are correct. As an example, I am fermenting an ale right now that the chiller is maintaining at 67 degrees, but my Tilt is reporting 73 degrees. Since my chiller is maintaining the right temperature, and I wouldn't know the difference if I didn't have the Tilt, should I worry about this? Should I put the probe somewhere else to get a more accurate reading of the wort throughout the fermenter?

Should I put the probe somewhere else to get a more accurate reading of the wort throughout the fermenter?
If you don't have a probe everywhere, then you'll never know.

Just pick whether you want to go by the tilt or the other and call it good. 5°F isn't much. 5°C might be something to worry about.

I have a glycol chiller that connects to a temp twister coil inside of my fermenter and the temperature probe from the chiller is inside a thermowell that goes down parallel to the coil, approximately 3 inches away. I also have a Tilt hydrometer inside the fermenter. My chiller has no problem maintaining my set temperature for the recipe I'm brewing, however, my Tilt hydrometer that is showing the temperature of the wort is 5-6 degrees different. I've calibrated everything so I know the numbers are correct. As an example, I am fermenting an ale right now that the chiller is maintaining at 67 degrees, but my Tilt is reporting 73 degrees. Since my chiller is maintaining the right temperature, and I wouldn't know the difference if I didn't have the Tilt, should I worry about this? Should I put the probe somewhere else to get a more accurate reading of the wort throughout the fermenter?
I’m having the same problem except mines a 10° difference. I don’t think I will have too much of an issue with the yeast. However, have you done any type of calibration since you’ve had this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_2739.png
    IMG_2739.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2738.jpeg
    IMG_2738.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back