New Member - Langerz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Langerz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi to the forums. I’ve read quite a bit here but just today started an account. I’m a long time beer lover that’s been on the edge of jumping into the home brewing world for years. Today I finally made the leap and tried my first brew. An APA that’s fermenting in the basement. For a first brew I thought it went pretty well. It was an all grain BIAB that seemed to hit most of what I was trying for. Main difference was I ended up with less volume than I thought. Was planning a 5 gallon batch but ended with about 4.5. The OG was just a hair above target at 1.064 vs target of 1.056-1.061. I assume the lower volume contributed to that. Regardless I need to think through everything and compare notes on the brew but anyway this is an introduction thread so enough about the batch

I’m from Iowa. In a remote place that’s hard to get goof craft beer. I’m an engineer by trade so wanting to figure out the process of brewing probably comes a bit natural. I think the main reason I never jumped into it was enough other hobbies and busy with kid activities. I have one kid off to college and the second following soon. There’s one more in the house but free time is starting to increase. Looking forward to learning from everyone

Main difference was I ended up with less volume than I thought. Was planning a 5 gallon batch but ended with about 4.5. The OG was just a hair above target at 1.064 vs target of 1.056-1.061. I assume the lower volume contributed to that.

Yes. Gravity "points" are inversely proportional to volume.

64 points per gallon x 4.5 gallons = 288 points
288 points / 5 gallons = ~58 points

So if you had boiled off less and ended up with 5 gallons, your post boil OG would have been ~1.058. Or, you could have used a half-gallon more water in the mash. But in that case, you would have also got a somewhat higher mash efficiency.

Welcome to the obsession.

Welcome from Missouri, neighbor.

+1 for what @VikeMan said.
I'll top off with chilled distilled water if my volume is a little off. Works for me. Cheers!

Back