New kettle and chiller cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddibbern5

Reaction score
I have a brand new kettle and wort chiller that I plan to brew on tomorrow evening. What type of cleaning will be required prior to their maiden voyage?
Dish soap and scrubbing to clean manufacturing oils?
Thanks all in advance!

I’d advise a soak in B-Brite or PBW for both , rinse well and as Sleepy Creek said a thorough rinse w/ StarSan.
What type of chiller? IC, CFC, plate?

I should have been more clear... It’s a SS immersion chiller. So no starsan needed.
Thanks!

This is probably dumb or lazy or both, but prior to first use of anything (meaning, when I do trial runs for checking operation, evaporation rate, etc.), I was just going to run a strong cleaning with hot PBW. I assembled valves, thermos, sight glasses, without washing with dish soap first. Just a rinse, because I had to do my own markings on the sight glasses as they were significantly off. Wondering if that was just dumb...

I wouldn't use dish soap on anything you brew with, it can leave behind a residue that doesnt taste very nice. I would give them both a good rinse, then a nice long soak in PBW and another good rinsing.

Back