New homebrewer in Minnesota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reindeer

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the forum and to homebrewing. My wife and I just bottled our first batch (a saison) and our second (a bourbon porter) is in fermentation. We've talked about homebrewing for years, and finally decided to jump in. Starting with extract kits from Northern Brewer and were enjoying it so far. We're looking forward to sampling our first beer next week and brewing many more.

Congratulations! Northern Brewer is awesome and all of their kits are pretty decent so I feel like us in the area have a step up when beginning. That bourbon porter will age well so try (I know it's hard) and stockpile at least a few of them for aging. You could drink them on your one year brewing anniversary!

Welcome aboard! Northern Brewer is my go to if I need quick supplies (only a few blocks away). I tend to grab most of my equipment or pre-planned recipes at Midwest Supplies. I like both places equally.

Welcome aboard! Northern Brewer is my go to if I need quick supplies (only a few blocks away). I tend to grab most of my equipment or pre-planned recipes at Midwest Supplies. I like both places equally.

I tend to go to Northern Brewer mostly because its closer and because I love their new store but I just got an email from Midwest about a rewards program that is making me think I might go there a bit more often. You get points towards gift cards for buying stuff, writing reviews online and just for signing up.

I tend to go to Northern Brewer mostly because its closer and because I love their new store but I just got an email from Midwest about a rewards program that is making me think I might go there a bit more often. You get points towards gift cards for buying stuff, writing reviews online and just for signing up.

Rewards program sounds like it's going to be a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't qualify for the 80 point signup bonus it seems. Probably because I already have an active account. No matter, 40 points for writing a review is fantastic (and they really could use the product reviews). 200 points = $5 off.

Rewards program sounds like it's going to be a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't qualify for the 80 point signup bonus it seems. Probably because I already have an active account. No matter, 40 points for writing a review is fantastic (and they really could use the product reviews). 200 points = $5 off.

...Missed the part where you can only do two reviews a day for points. Still, I might do that for awhile with my morning coffee everyday.

I actually live quite a bit closer to Midwest than to Northern. I took a class at Northern so I got a discount there, so that's where I made my initial purchases...

We drank our first bottles of homebrewed beer last night (Northern's Petite Saison d'Ete) and it tasted like beer! The carbonation was perfect, the flavor was good, overall a success.

We are a small organic farm and orchard. Our fresh apple cider has made some mighty fine hard cider (1st and 3rd at the MN state fair 2012). We are interested in trying to make our own cider and recommendations as far as equipment source for a new brewer?

We are a small organic farm and orchard. Our fresh apple cider has made some mighty fine hard cider (1st and 3rd at the MN state fair 2012). We are interested in trying to make our own cider and recommendations as far as equipment source for a new brewer?

With hard cider, the hardest part is pressing the apples to make cider. After that you just pasteurize the cider (sanitize it), add yeast and put it into a sealed bucket with an airlock. That said, I'm betting you can steep grains, add flavors, etc.

I'd talk to Midwest Supplies or Northern Brewer. They have starter kits and the like. Their staff at both places will be more than willing to help you get started too.

Shoot, one of those places might actually cut a deal with your farm to provide a cider kit to people. Especially if they can coordinate with one of the people who brewed those award winning recipes.

Back