New Member - Hello

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. Having been an avid craft beer drinker for many years I've wanted to try my hand at home brewing. My son bought me a MoreBeer Premium HomeBrew Kit for Father's Day and now I'm going to give my first brew a shot. It's a Hazy IPA. Looking forward to joining the community and enjoying the experience of home brewing.

Welcome to the hobby, and HomeBrewTalk.

If the results of your first brew leave you a bit underwhelmed, you should know that Hazy IPAs are one of the most difficult styles to do well because of the extreme oxygen sensitivity of the hop oils. This manifests as a fairly rapid drop off in hop aroma and flavor along with a significant darkening of the color over just a couple of weeks. So, you will want to get this bottled as soon as fermentation is finished (but don't bottle early, as that can lead to exploding bottles), and then refrigerate all bottles as soon as carbonation is complete (cooler temps slow down the oxidation damage.)

I suggest for your second brew you go with a more forgiving style, such as an amber ale, porter, etc. While you are honing your brewing process and skills, you can read up on brewing hazy IPAs, and what it takes to get good results with them, here on HBT.

Brew on :mug:

Welcome! I have personally found that this hobby is a lot like woodworking, there is always some other piece of equipment that you ‘need’. But all it really takes to make a good beer is a good recipe, good ingredients, and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize.

@doug293ca, mac_1103 - thanks for the welcome and the feedback. I have loved Hazy IPAs and more recently have moved to Milkshake Double Hazy Fruited IPAs (traditionalists will probably flinch at that, but I also like German Lagers, Porter and Stouts). However, after getting my kit and reading about the brewing process I realized, as you've said that I've picked the one of most difficult beers to brew. So we'll see how it turns out (and how long it lasts). I've gotten a lot of good tips off the forum already. Looking forward to the journey.

Back