New grower in MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloh4126

Reaction score
Just got my first plant last week. I'm going to be adding it to another hbt members garden sometime this week. Ordered it from great lakes hops Monday evening and got it thursday morning.

image-1053139199.jpg

image-406195739.jpg

About a month later, really starting to take off. We've had some decent weather here in md with a mix of nice sunny days and rain.

With that being said should I worry about fertilizing with all the rain we've had possibly washing the soil of nutrients? I started with a mix of my soil and amended in miracle grow garden soil.

image-119104676.jpg

image-2830951483.jpg

Looks good. Did it come in just a plastic bag? Were there holes in the bag when you got it, for it to breath? I am just wondering how they package a growing hop for shipment.

PariahVineyard said:
Looks good. Did it come in just a plastic bag? Were there holes in the bag when you got it, for it to breath? I am just wondering how they package a growing hop for shipment.

Yes it came in the bag. And I really can't remember if there were holes in the bag.

i'm also in MD. union bridge actually. I planted my first rhizomes this year, about a month ago. Looks like we're neck and neck. My first vine is about 5 ft tall. Welcome local grower!

actually never heard of the club until now. May join soon as I'm becoming more and more interested in all grain. I did see the flying barrel has a hop swap in the early spring. missed it this year but maybe i'll be a contributor in the years to come.

actually never heard of the club until now. May join soon as I'm becoming more and more interested in all grain. I did see the flying barrel has a hop swap in the early spring. missed it this year but maybe i'll be a contributor in the years to come.

Yea you should check it out. Membership is only 20 a year and meetings are the first Monday of every month. Plenty of homebrew to go around and all of the Frederick area brewers ie brewers alley, barley and hops, and flying dog are there.

Hey, those pictures look awfully familar. A couple more hot sunny days coming this week. Hopefully that thing will take off some more.

dcarroll86 said:
Hey, those pictures look awfully familar. A couple more hot sunny days coming this week. Hopefully that thing will take off some more.

Ha I don't know what your talking about....

bloh4126 said:
Just got my first plant last week. I'm going to be adding it to another hbt members garden sometime this week. Ordered it from great lakes hops Monday evening and got it thursday morning.

An udate for you guys of these for bloh4126
These photos arw prob from 2 weeks ago at this point. Since this. Loads of burrs have been starting to form and is prob at the 16' mark

image-1422491120.jpg

image-219796594.jpg

Back