New from Indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnichols00

Reaction score
Hello beer magicians!!

I will be making my first attempt at brewing beer this weekend, I bought the brewers best IPA package, figure I should start with something with a little more direction until I get the hang of it.

Any suggestions for a first timer?

Cheers, tnichols00!

Welcome from a fellow noob. I just followed kit instructions the first time and it gave me a result that made me happy enough to keep on going. Remember to sanitize and you will be all set for now. I still do kits with a twist, and they all have been good so far. Keep it simple it the beginning, and you'll have a ball!

17!

Sounds great! I got the run down on cleaning from the local home brew store. Glad he stressed it as much as he did cause I did not know it was as important as it actually is.
That will be my plan, start with pre packages, then add a twist and later start to try my own.

My advice. ... Don't be to nervous, I was the first time I brewed.

It's actually pretty forgiving, so don't get to worried if you make a mistake.

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

Sanitize well, keep ferm temps under control with a tub / water bath, frozen water bottles.

Interesting on the tub ice idea, can you expand on that a little? I'm brewing IPA and a quick glance over the directions I thought I was suppose to keep it at a temp of high 60's to low 70's

It depends on the yeast you have. Check the package or check online for the optimal temp range. When active fermentation is happening, the reaction creates a lot of exothermic heat, and the fermenter can be 7-10 degrees warmer than the ambient temp.
If you want to try and bring the temp down, a cheap and easy way is to put the fermenter in a tub with several inches of water. Add a couple of frozen water bottles in the morning and evening, just replace and refreeze. If you put a t shirt over the fermenter, it will draw the cold water up and help cool the fermenter. Adding a blowing fan will help even further.
Welcome to the hobby. Relax and have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow great insight! Thanks a ton! So if I am understanding you correct I need to keep a close eye on the temp of the brew, not the room it's in?

The correct answer is yes. But in all honesty, I didn't start worrying about my ferment temps until I was several brews in. You can start to get banana like flavors and harsh alcohol taste if you let the temps get out of control. Aim for the ambient temp where your fermenter is located several degrees lower than the yeast's temp range if you can. The more important thing is to learn from your experience. You will learn a lot more from the hands on experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I found the wet tee shirt & fan thing lowers the internal temp 2-3 degrees on average. Great if that's all you need.

If he's from northern Indiana like i used to be, his temp control issue might be having to heat the wort to keep it from freezing.
:p

Here is a little teaser for you guys! Now we wait.

I was reading about a two stage fermentation and a single stage fermentation. I brewed this yesterday afternoon so I am not set on either way but I think if I am going to do a two stage I need to buy a few more things.

What is the time difference between the two fermentations? I read it helps with clarity of the beer, this is just getting rid of any haze in the beer correct? Does it effect flavor or anything else?

I didn't use whirfloc tablets but does this do the same thing?

IMG_3045_zps6844970f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a little teaser for you guys! Now we wait.

I was reading about a two stage fermentation and a single stage fermentation. I brewed this yesterday afternoon so I am not set on either way but I think if I am going to do a two stage I need to buy a few more things.

What is the time difference between the two fermentations? I read it helps with clarity of the beer, this is just getting rid of any haze in the beer correct? Does it effect flavor or anything else?

I didn't use whirfloc tablets but does this do the same thing?

IMG_3045_zps6844970f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When i started i did 2 stage- now i only do 1 stage (unless i am aging something) but for your basic fermentation you can just leave for 3 weeks and then check gravity-

doing 1 stage there is less of a chance of contamination. but both ways work

When i started i did 2 stage- now i only do 1 stage (unless i am aging something) but for your basic fermentation you can just leave for 3 weeks and then check gravity-

doing 1 stage there is less of a chance of contamination. but both ways work
Thanks that helps, I think I will just stick with single stage. Leave it alone till its ready to bottle.

3 weeks? Is this for an IPA? I thought it would be 7-10 days or when I am getting the same gravity reading for at least 48 hours. Then bottle and after 2-3 weeks in the bottle it will be ready.

Am I missing something here?

Fermentation is done when it is done. The gravity reading is the only way to know for sure. We usually recommend a stable gravity reading over 3 days as the clear indication that fermentation is complete. This can happen quickly or it can take a while.

With an IPA it would likely be faster as these are not usually too big (high alcohol), especially as a kit. The advice to leave for 3 weeks comes from the fact most starter set directions advocate a 7 day primary and then a 10 day secondary. These directions don't really take into account what is actually occurring in the fermenter. This is where you, the brewer use your judgement. If it looks like fermentation is complete you can check gravity to measure for completion. The other method is to say that pretty much all fermentation activity should be done after 3 weeks. This is the "set it and forget it" method. It works, it is simple but it is slow. If the ferementation is done in 14 days you are leaving the beer in the fermenter for an extra week for really little benefit.

Gotcha, that makes good sense, Ill just take a readings and after 3 days of no change bottle.

I like to keep things simple and do the `set it n forget it method`
this extra time conditioning also has the added benefit of giving the yeast time to clean up after themselves any off flavors produced by temperature swings & extremes. Once you get a few ale pales you can keep a rotation going and not run out of homebrew.

I like to give it the time it needs to get down to a stable FG. Then 3-7 days more to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. In the case of IPA's, that's the best time to dry hop for 7 days to get the aromatic punch they're known for. Then prime & bottle. :mug:

Cracked my beer open last night. Very happy with how it turned out!! I can see a few changes I will make next time but not a single complaint about it.

IMG_3067_zpsa591c0d2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cracked my beer open last night. Very happy with how it turned out!! I can see a few changes I will make next time but not a single complaint about it.

IMG_3067_zpsa591c0d2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow! That looks the goods! I'm raising a glass of home brew to you now (Imperial double Australian pale ale). Good job!

Cheers and 17!

Back