new from Fingerlakes NY Wine Region

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello all from Palmyra, NY. started homebrewing last year when I got a beer kit(mr beer kit) for my birthday. I tried it and it turned out great! Now I have two 6 gallon carboys of "wayne county dutch" apflewein. Its a naturally fermented cider, so I dont know if you can even call it an apflewein technically. From what I can tell, apflewein is more of a German thing, whereas most of the "recipes" for our kinda stuff come from Dutch/Freis, and Belgian immigrants to this area. All of my friend have been making it this way for years. Its really popular in these parts especially considering Wayne County NY is the nations second largest apple producing county. I recently accquired a homebrewing book so I may try one of those recipes as well. So far I havent had a beer I didnt like(except those commercial light beers) and I may even try some wine as well eventually(another thing my part of NY is famous for).

if you wanna do cider/apfelwein this year, the place I get mine at in Lyons will have the good stuff for another couple weeks, PM me if want the name of the place

Welcome from Rochester. I started with Mr. Beer a few years ago myself and the obsession has since taken over. (Recently finished my electric brewery build)

I grew up on Cayuga lake,what an awsome place to live, I wish I was still there.I don't drink much wine, but when I go back home I always hit Lucus vinyard and cayuga estates vinyard. I'v been to Napa valley, and I can tell you, upstate NY has the best wine in the country,tastes like bitting into an apple sized grape.

Are any of you guys going to the Seneca Lodge beer festival on 12-03. This is their first annual fest with all Finger Lakes brewers. Contact email is [email protected] . I'm a rep. for Beer Connoisseur Magazine and have dealt with Brett, he's a great guy whose trying to promote Finger Lakes brewers. Hope to see you there!

Back