New fermentation freezer burns my nose and throat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie_Man

Reaction score
This might be normal, but I've never experienced this before. I have an American Wheat Beer fermenting with Safale US-05 yeast in a temperature controlled chest freezer. It's the first time I'm using this freezer although I also have a top freezer refrigerator that I also use for fermentation. I purchased the freezer used and it smelled a little gross, so I cleaned it well and let it air dry before using it for fermentation. The first few days the chest freezer had a pleasant smell. Now, 5 days into fermentation, there is a burning feeling in my nose, mouth, and throat every time I open the lid. I don't detect an odor, just the burning feeling which is quite strong. I've never had this occur with my other fermentation chamber even when using lager yeast.

Any ideas, is this at all worrisome? Perhaps I didn't clean the inside well enough, or this noxious gas is from the fermentation and settling to the bottom of the chest freezer and not ventilating like the upright fridge? Or both...

I would guess it is CO2 building up in there. Being that CO2 is a little heavier than air, it would not be as noticeable in the upright since it will flow out easier when you open the door. When you open the lid on the chest it tends to stay in there.

The burning feeling is your reaction to CO2. Fermentation gives off CO2 and if the freezer is closed then it can build up inside. Before you stick you head in, you should open the door and let it air out a little.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I certainly do stick my head right in there to see the yeast in action :). I guess the upright I have vents the CO2 better than my chest freezer. Didn't realize CO2 could burn like that.

Overall though, I like the extra space that I now have with two temperature controlled devices which allows me to lager a beer in one while fermenting an ale in the other.

Yeah, my chest freezer has nearly dropped me before when I had 20 gallons in there all bubbling like crazy. It's actually enough to the point where I've learned to open it and let some air in before I go stick my head in there.

This is a typical reaction of brewers with their first freezer, including myself.

"What's that smell? Oh, it makes my eyes, nose, and throat burn."
"I hope my beer isn't ruined, better stick my head in further to investigate (nearly passes out)."

I tricked the SWMBO to put her head deep into the ferm chamber and to take a deep breath, she wasn't impressed.

I'll second that, brewing a Dunkelweizen that put off a lot of sulfur during the first few days of fermentation. Went down to check on it after 24 hours and was greeting to one foul stench that burned eyes, nose and throat. Pictured myself passing out head first into the freezer, foot catching the door and closing it. Wonder how long before the family missed me? Sent my son down when he got home, telling him to check out the "wonderful" flower aroma of this batch. Can't tell you what he called me when he got back up stairs with burning eyes!

Back