New England IPA New England Style TIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I figured after looking at it... I just sent it through with the barley though. So maybe that also helps explain the low efficiency
I guess I'm not going to get something close to what was actually intended here; hopefully it is still good though.

That's what I figured after looking at it... I just sent it through with the barley though. So maybe that also helps explain the low efficiency
I guess I'm not going to get something close to what was actually intended here; hopefully it is still good though.
What ended up being you FG. Did you taste it yet?

Final numbers... 1.087 to 1.015, (9.3%). Sample smells like mango. Tastes very fruity but with hop burn... not going to skimp on the two weeks conditioning.
Glad it fermented out well.

Last edited:
Smells good, still has a little bit of some kind of lingering harshness on the end. Not sure if it is hop burn or something else. We'll see if it changes with a little more age.

Attachments

• IMG_20210824_162444773_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210824_162444773_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Got the new Grainfather G40 so finally have the ability to do big IPAs. The prospect of having to do a reiterated mash always put me off doing this beer. Been thinking about hop combinations for this and have decided to go with my tried and tested Citra/ Nelson Sauvin which I love. This time I'm going add Idaho 7 into the mix too. I usually go with a 70/30 Citra/nelson mix but unsure now what to go with. Thinking 12oz total dry hop with 6oz Citra, 3oz Nelson and 3oz Idaho 7. How does this sound?

Usually go 2.5oz each in the whirlpool for the Citra and nelson so think I'll go just another 2.5oz with the Idaho 7 for a total of 7.5oz whirlpool. Aiming for around 70 ibu with .75oz of Columbus at 60 and 10g each of Citra and I7 at 10 minutes. Any input on the above would be great.

Got the new Grainfather G40 so finally have the ability to do big IPAs. The prospect of having to do a reiterated mash always put me off doing this beer. Been thinking about hop combinations for this and have decided to go with my tried and tested Citra/ Nelson Sauvin which I love. This time I'm going add Idaho 7 into the mix too. I usually go with a 70/30 Citra/nelson mix but unsure now what to go with. Thinking 12oz total dry hop with 6oz Citra, 3oz Nelson and 3oz Idaho 7. How does this sound?

Usually go 2.5oz each in the whirlpool for the Citra and nelson so think I'll go just another 2.5oz with the Idaho 7 for a total of 7.5oz whirlpool. Aiming for around 70 ibu with .75oz of Columbus at 60 and 10g each of Citra and I7 at 10 minutes. Any input on the above would be great.

I’ve completely stopped doing 60 minute additions. You can add more hops and get more flavor with the same amount of bitterness if you move that addition to 30. You’re not boiling vegetal matter for as long as well. Large 30 minute additions of Simcoe are my preference these days.

Aiming for around 70 ibu with .75oz of Columbus at 60 and 10g each of Citra and I7 at 10 minutes. Any input on the above would be great.
NOTE: Everyone may as well ignore this post. I thought I was replying to a regular NEIPA, not a NE TIPA.
70 IBU is very high for this style. I like bitterness, but that's over the top for this style, impeding flavor and aroma enjoyment, IMO.​
Brewing NEIPAs for a long time, I used to add only 0.25 oz (7 gram, 1/4 oz!) at 60' or FWH with Nugget or Warrior, all the rest in a split whirlpool at 170F (10') and 150F (30').​
I now often even skip the (small) 60'/FWH addition and only do one single 30' whirlpool with all the kettle hops (6-8 oz) at 140F, giving me much more what I want, flavor, and far less bitterness.​
/NOTE

Last edited:
I’ve completely stopped doing 60 minute additions. You can add more hops and get more flavor with the same amount of bitterness if you move that addition to 30. You’re not boiling vegetal matter for as long as well. Large 30 minute additions of Simcoe are my preference these days.
That's interesting, so do you just get mostly bitterness from the Simcoe at 30 or will you get the hop character too? Makes sense about boiling a 60 minute addition, taking in a 30 minute whirlpool those hops could be in contact for up to 90 minutes.

70 IBU is very high for this style. I like bitterness, but that's over the top for this style, impeding flavor and aroma enjoyment, IMO.

Brewing NEIPAs for a long time, I used to add only 0.25 oz (7 gram, 1/4 oz!) at 60' or FWH with Nugget or Warrior, all the rest in a split whirlpool at 170F (10') and 150F (30').
I now often even skip the (small) 60'/FWH addition and only do one single 30' whirlpool with all the kettle hops (6-8 oz) at 140F, giving me much more what I want, flavor, and far less bitterness.
I've never done a TIPA before so was basing my ibus off the OP. Mostly my brews are in the 7.5-8% and shoot for around 30 ibus which I find perfect.

I've never done a TIPA before so was basing my ibus off the OP. Mostly my brews are in the 7.5-8% and shoot for around 30 ibus which I find perfect.
I'm sorry, I got diverted, and didn't realize the thread was for NE TIPA. You may as well ignore my previous post...

That said, 70 IBU may very well be right for a NE TIPA!
If that's what the OP indeed achieved with his hop schedule (see below, for review) and his process.

IBU values are hard to measure on tasting alone, they're merely a guide, or comparison from one recipe with another.
It's the sensation of the entire beer where you'd notice when IBUs are fitting, or missing the goal, i.e., whether by lacking bitterness, or are over the top.
IOW, the IBUs may have to be off by 30-50% (or more) when you'd feel it being out of balance. But even if it's off whatever mental mark you'd expect, it could still be a very enjoyable, and more importantly, memorable beer. I've enjoyed quite a few of those memorable ones, where you say: Oh, yeah!

Hop Schedule:
- 1.0oz Columbus @ 60 mins
- 1.0oz Columbus @ 10 mins

Hopstand/whirlpool:
- 3.0 oz Riwaka @ 160*f
- 2.0 oz Nelson @ 160*f

Dryhop(2 stage):
4 days left to cold crash
- 2.0 oz Riwaka
- 1.5 oz Nelson
- 1.5 oz Citra

2 days left to cold crash
- 2.0 oz Riwaka
- 1.5 oz Nelson
- 1.5 oz Citra

I'm sorry, I got diverted, and didn't realize the thread was for NE TIPA. You may as well ignore my previous post...

That said, 70 IBU may very well be right for a NE TIPA!
If that's what the OP indeed achieved with his hop schedule (see below, for review) and his process.

IBU values are hard to measure on tasting alone, they're merely a guide, or comparison from one recipe with another.
It's the sensation of the entire beer where you'd notice when IBUs are fitting, or missing the goal, i.e., whether by lacking bitterness, or are over the top.
IOW, the IBUs may have to be off by 30-50% (or more) when you'd feel it being out of balance. But even if it's off whatever mental mark you'd expect, it could still be a very enjoyable, and more importantly, memorable beer. I've enjoyed quite a few of those memorable ones, where you say: Oh, yeah!
You could certainly go lower than 70 if you wish. I’ve found with 70 ibus, it prevents the higher abv bringing perceived sweetness and helps hide the alcohol. I wouldn’t suggest going lower than 50 though

You could certainly go lower than 70 if you wish. I’ve found with 70 ibus, it prevents the higher abv bringing perceived sweetness and helps hide the alcohol. I wouldn’t suggest going lower than 50 though
That's a good point!

That's what I'm thinking. 10% + will mask a good chunk of the bitterness. I'd personally easily work my way through a slightly bitter beer over a boozy mess. While I have you Dgallo, what do you think of my plan for the dry hop schedule of 6oz CItra and 3oz each for Nelson and Idaho 7?

That's what I'm thinking. 10% + will mask a good chunk of the bitterness. I'd personally easily work my way through a slightly bitter beer over a boozy mess. While I have you Dgallo, what do you think of my plan for the dry hop schedule of 6oz CItra and 3oz each for Nelson and Idaho 7?
I can’t see it not working. If your Idaho 7 is herbaceous it may pull more dank/earthy notes from the Nelson. If it’s more orange forward it will really blend great with the citra. You could always even go Nelson/Citra. If you use that combo regularly that might be a good choice because then you can see what your combo is like maxed out.

That's interesting, so do you just get mostly bitterness from the Simcoe at 30 or will you get the hop character too? Makes sense about boiling a 60 minute addition, taking in a 30 minute whirlpool those hops could be in contact for up to 90 minutes.

No I think you get a lot more flavor as well. There are certain compounds in hops that benefit from boiling. The whole idea that hops need to be added below 180 to preserve anything on the hotside is a totally myth

I can’t see it not working. If your Idaho 7 is herbaceous it may pull more dank/earthy notes from the Nelson. If it’s more orange forward it will really blend great with the citra. You could always even go Nelson/Citra. If you use that combo regularly that might be a good choice because then you can see what your combo is like maxed out.
I got a ½ pound of it from Yakima valley a few months ago but haven't used it yet so not sure what it will be like. Any I've got from them before have been incredible.

I've done the Citra/Nelson combo 3 times now and love it but just looking to try something different and had the combination in an Equilibrium beer that was amazing. I also have a ½ pound of Riwaka so could try something closer to your recipe.

No I think you get a lot more flavor as well. There are certain compounds in hops that benefit from boiling. The whole idea that hops need to be added below 180 to preserve anything on the hotside is a totally myth
I've become a big fan of a 10 minute addition, think it adds so much to the beer and with Idaho 7 supposed to be so good at surviving through fermentation it sounds like a great boil hop. Might drop the Columbus at 60 and mess around with Idaho 7 at 30. My Columbus is so old too, think it's a 2018 batch.

Can you tell how your Idaho 7 will come out before trying the beer? I feel like I have a good grasp on smelling the pungency in the Citras and Mosaics, but I still struggle with Simcoe and Idaho 7. They both kind of smell just like generic hops to me...

Can you tell how your Idaho 7 will come out before trying the beer? I feel like I have a good grasp on smelling the pungency in the Citras and Mosaics, but I still struggle with Simcoe and Idaho 7. They both kind of smell just like generic hops to me...
I feel pretty confident when smelling them If they are going to be citrus leaning or earthy leaning by aroma. This seems to correlate directly to the finished product

My nose is definitely not at that level unfortunately but I'll give them a good sniff when I open the bag. I'd like to think I could pick out if they are citrus leaning. Really need to work on this aspect of my brewing.

Brewed this yesterday but unfortunately I'll only end up with a DIPA as I only got an OG of 1.082. This was only my second brew on my new Grainfather G40 and think I was a bit too ambitious for my new system that isn't dialed in yet. I still haven't got my boil off rate set right or water amounts. I also probably needed to lower my efficiency in Beersmith for such a big beer. I had the guts of a gallon of wort left over after transferring to my fermenter. Hopefully the resulting beer will still be ok as it was hopped to 60 ibus so could be a bit too bitter for a beer that will finish between 8-9%. When I have my system fully dialed in I'll try and brew it again.

Back