New England Grain Buy January 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK looks like I have everyone's payments in. I am going to drop the money into my account and order the grain next week. For pick up it looks like the first day that is do able is April 19th. If you need Aslander's physical address he will post a link here like last time I am sure.

Also we are having a Launch Party for our first brand. Everyone is welcome just make sure to sign up on EventBrite.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/down-the-roads-pukwudgie-pale-ale-launch-party-tickets-15958408028

Is anyone from the South Shore going early for the splits. I am out of town on the 19th and was hoping someone could bring a couple containers for me and hold onto my bags for a couple days. I'm in Quincy.

I was wondering the same thing as fender, as im not going to be in town either that weekend. I'm in brockton.

I can pick up splits and bags, no problem. Just send me a PM with the list of stuff to pick up and leave me with containers for splits.

What town is the pickup in? I have something the 19th but can plan that around the pickup. I am coming from north reading if anybody in that area has trouble getting there that day I should be able to help out.

No worries. I've had plenty of pick-up help from folks in the buy, just happy to be able to pay it forward.

Pickup location will be in Concord, MA. I am close to downtown, about a minute off route 2. I will post directions and address when we get closer to the date, but you can use Crosby's grocery store as an approximation of the location in Concord.
Cheers, Blake.

Is the 19th the only day available for pickup? I'm out of town that weekend, but can pick up the 20th, 21st or 22nd, almost any time during the day.

If you cannot pick up on the 19th, I would appreciate it if you can find someone else in this thread that is local to you and can pick up your bags. Otherwise I can work with you to arrange a time, but prefer not to do that for tons of people since I do have other things to do and it can be a lot of overhead scheduling with tons of people.

Of course, I do accept bombers of good beer in exchange for holding fees lol

Mid to late morning depending on whether you have splits or not, most likely. Will post specifics when we get closer

We are a little over a week until the scheduled delivery date; any updates on the pick up times and location?

Thanks.

I can post the details, but as I do not have possession of the grain yet, this is still tenative.

LandAir Express screwed up as usual and went to the wrong address to deliver the grain on Wednesday. They are slated to deliver today. Assuming they do not screw up again, here is the info for the pickup:

Grain pickup will be Sunday, April 19th at 11am. People with splits and anyone else that wants to should plan to arrive around 930am to help sort the grain.

If you cannot pick up at this time, please try to find someone else in your area that can bring your bags back with them. If there's absolutely no way that you (or a designate) can get your bags, then PM me prior to the pickup so that we know and so that you can plan a date to come get them.

Click here for a link to my address, I don't want to post it directly in the forum and have it get cached by search engines.

For those that are new to the process during grain pickup day, here is how the pickup day will work:
  1. Those with splits arrive early and help to get the bags off the pallets and sort them into piles for each person
  2. No one takes their bags until we have verified everyone has the correct bags and all bags arrived.
  3. Once everything is sorted and accounted for, everyone loads up their cars. Everyone helps to carry bags to everyone elses cars. This makes it go nice and quickly.
  4. Once the majority of people have their bags loaded up, feel free to leave. Also feel free to stay if you want to drink a beer :)

Also some general rules/courtesies:
  • Bring a bucket or container if you have a split. 5 gallon buckets hold roughly 25lbs of grain.
  • Being fashionably late is not something you should do for this, as everyone helps out.
  • You can park on the street, but don't park on my or my neighbor's grass!
  • Don't park in front of anyone's driveway
  • You should plan on helping to carry other people's bags to their cars. At least try to pay it forward and carry more than you ordered.
  • You will not be able to take your bags until after we have sorted/verified/and called your name
  • If you want to bring any beers for people to try, I won't say no!

Freight company screwed up yet again, but we are hoping to get it delivered in the middle of next week. Stay tuned to the thread and Donovan or I will update everyone when delivered and confirm the pickup date.

Hey Donovan, me or my wife usually buy an interesting/new 6 pack on Fridays. Last night she stopped at Spirited Gourmet in Belmont because we needed a few other things for having some friends over and she bought a 6 pack, some wine, etc. When I got home, she was telling me about this interesting sounding beer that she got, apparently it was featured by the store as their beer of the week or something like that. Low and behold the beer was Pukwudgie! EXCELLENT job! Really like the beer, pale is probably my favorite style and I thoroughly enjoyed this. Sorry we missed the launch party (also sorry that I hesitated on getting a # of Mosaic hops, they're so delicious!), looking forward to future events and seeing more beers on the shelf.

Cheers!

The Pick up is a GO!! Read Below for information on what to do and were to go!!

I can post the details, but as I do not have possession of the grain yet, this is still tenative.

LandAir Express screwed up as usual and went to the wrong address to deliver the grain on Wednesday. They are slated to deliver today. Assuming they do not screw up again, here is the info for the pickup:

Grain pickup will be Sunday, April 19th at 11am. People with splits and anyone else that wants to should plan to arrive around 930am to help sort the grain.

If you cannot pick up at this time, please try to find someone else in your area that can bring your bags back with them. If there's absolutely no way that you (or a designate) can get your bags, then PM me prior to the pickup so that we know and so that you can plan a date to come get them.

Click here for a link to my address, I don't want to post it directly in the forum and have it get cached by search engines.

For those that are new to the process during grain pickup day, here is how the pickup day will work:
  1. Those with splits arrive early and help to get the bags off the pallets and sort them into piles for each person
  2. No one takes their bags until we have verified everyone has the correct bags and all bags arrived.
  3. Once everything is sorted and accounted for, everyone loads up their cars. Everyone helps to carry bags to everyone elses cars. This makes it go nice and quickly.
  4. Once the majority of people have their bags loaded up, feel free to leave. Also feel free to stay if you want to drink a beer :)

• Bring a bucket or container if you have a split. 5 gallon buckets hold roughly 25lbs of grain.
  • Being fashionably late is not something you should do for this, as everyone helps out.
  • You should plan on helping to carry other people's bags to their cars. At least try to pay it forward and carry more than you ordered.
  • You will not be able to take your bags until after we have sorted/verified/and called your name

Google messed up my address in the link, it is Southfield Rd not Circle. Same neighborhood though ;)

PM if you need clarification

Just want to throw this out there again, if someone in the western mass area needs help getting their grain, I can pick it up. PM before tomorrow if you can't grab your grain.

Tom

Grain pickup day has arrived. Sorts are at 930, everyone else is at 11.

Details reposted below:

Also, a lot of people don't realize the sheer amount of work and time that goes into preparing the grain buy, taking all the payments, placing the order, taking time off from work (usually multiple times) trying to meet the freight truck, and sorting and splitting the grain. Donovan even had to show up at my house to meet the delivery guy this time, because they screwed up the first time and could only deliver when I was out of town.

We do this primarily to help the homebrewing community. For those of you who donated, we really appreciate it. Subsidizing some of the grain cost for us is a plus.

Gary, if you haven't met him, has also always been a key player in all this and wasn't even taking donations. Consider bringing him a beer as thanks. He's usually the one key guy that makes sure the sort goes smoothly.

And show Donovan your thanks by buying his beer in stores and telling others about it. It is excellent: http://downtheroadbrewery.com/beers/pukwudgie/

I just saw the address for the pickup now. How long will it be going on? I need to pickup my hops (from Donovan) but I live over an hour away. If anyone from the south shore is going ... maybe you or I can help each other out. ??

You guys did a fantastic job. Very organized and efficient. Thank you again for a job well done.

Back