New England Grain Buy December 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update Aslander!!! Glad you were able to come up with a way to keep this going. Looking forward to the next buy.

That is awesome. I reAlly appreciate the work y'all put into this.

Even though I haven't participated in a previous one, hoping I can get in on the next one.

Any status updates? Just dumped my last 10 lbs into the corona mill and my grain buckets look sad and lonely...

Interested as well, just bought a Monster Mill and want to put it too use. I also had the chance to sample a few malts by Bairds that were very good which should be available from NCM now.

wstbrewing, I still have you're rice hulls from the mid-hudson group buy if you want them.

Oh yeah I do. I was going to buy them again here. After I never heard back from my pm I figured someone just kept em. Pm incoming so as to not hijack this thread.

Thanks for the efforts of everyone involved! Definitely interested in getting in on the next buy as well when the time comes. Running low on 2R, MO and Vienna myself. Thanks!

What's the current status on this group buy? It's been silent for a while, should we start looking elsewhere? What can we do to expedite the next grain buy?

Given the lack of progress on a new group buy, anybody have suggestions of the best ways to get good deals on bulk grain? (Other than another group buy starting up)

I ordered a couple sacks from this grain buy last month while I was waiting for the NE grain buy to restart. Their official buy is set for each May, but I think I recall that they are willing to host other buys during the year if a group is willing to organize it. I am getting older, so my recollections may be suspect.

https://beerbrew.com/announcing-the-2016-special-grain-buy/

My main plan is to be patient with Aslander and to help him out in any way that I can. He has been a saint in the past working way above and beyond the call of duty.

I've participated in this buy in the past, but I've also gotten sacks for reasonable prices from Walpole Wine and Spirits on 1a in Walpole. Steve has been willing to order any of the standard base malts and then calls when he gets the order in. So for anyone south of Boston, that's an option in the meantime.

Sure there are multiple reasons this wouldn't work but wanted to toss it out there. If I setup an LLC for a Home Brew Supply company (to allow for getting an account with a wholesaler) solely for the purposes of being able to host these grain buys to support the local home brewer community would that even be viable. I'd probably ask an initial fee for anyone that signed up to offset the startup costs for licensing, etc. and then just treat it the way Donovan was doing. Like I said sure there are reasons this wouldn't be viable but wanted to get some feedback from the group.

Not sure about anyone else, but if it meant group buys that happened consistently, I would be happy to chip in some extra. Living in Amherst, it would be worth even more to have things happen in (central)western MA.

Since this looks dead and gone...going to turn to the LHBS for grain buys. They currently aren't running any so 10 bag minimum. If anyone in the Central MA area is interested in helping me hit this minimum, shoot me a message. Prices are pretty good, but not amazing. 2-Row ~$0.89/#, Golden promise ~$1.33/#, etc...

Also FYI, my local HBS, South Shore Homebrew, runs a bulk buy a couple times a year. Prices per bag were not significantly different from what we got from the group buy, once shipping was factored in. I think SSHB gives 25% off.

West Boylston Homebrew Emporium will likely have a grain buy within the next couple weeks if they get enough response. You can call them at 508-835-3374 if you are interested. They will ask you for your phone number and what you want . When there are enough participants, they will call you with the price and ask for your credit card number. You can pick it up at their store when it's in. I am attaching a link to the old price list that was still in effect last winter.

https://beerbrew.com/downloads/2016_Bulk_Grain_Catalog.pdf

I've heard nothing. I would check with one of the Homebrew Supply stores and see if they're doing a big buy. Last time I bought, the prices were pretty much the same as what we paid in the. Group buy, once shipping was factored in.

Latest posts

Back