New cider maker here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyber_Amy

Reaction score
I bought a gallon of apple juice on July 1st, mixed in one cup of sugar, one pkg red star champagne yeast. Today, July 4 th, it tastes very strong, not refinance of apples at all. Very little bubbling so I capped it. Does it need tone refrigerated?

Cyber_Amy said:
I bought a gallon of apple juice on July 1st, mixed in one cup of sugar, one pkg red star champagne yeast. Today, July 4 th, it tastes very strong, not refinance of apples at all. Very little bubbling so I capped it. Does it need tone refrigerated?

Reminiscent

I'd either wait a bit to cap it (it is likely still fermenting even if you can't see it), or else unscrew that cap about every day or every 12 hours. You will likely notice the bottle begin to bulge (if it is plastic). If it is glass, watch out. You will have a bomb on your hands.

A $5 hydrometer would help you to know for sure when it OK to cap it. Some other things to think about.

~~~You can stop fermentation now if you want, just put the jug in the dishwasher and get it up to 150* for a decent time. Or you can stove top pasteurize it. Please search more about these if you want to do them. I don't use these methods as I like a dry cider.

~~~What are you going for in your cider? Dry, sweet, low alcohol or strong?

~~~What yeast did you use? That WILL make a difference

~~~Most fermentation will take at least 10 days to finish out.

I'd either wait a bit to cap it (it is likely still fermenting even if you can't see it), or else unscrew that cap about every day or every 12 hours. You will likely notice the bottle begin to bulge (if it is plastic). If it is glass, watch out. You will have a bomb on your hands.

~~~What are you going for in your cider? Dry, sweet, low alcohol or strong?

~~~What yeast did you use? That WILL make a difference

~~~Most fermentation will take at least 10 days to finish out.

Thank you so much for replies. I just didn't want vinegar.

I am using the Red Star Champagne yeast.

Hi CA and welcome to HBT. Take a look here for a good, simple method www.makinghardcider.com

As tokerlund suggested, I'd take the cap off and put the airlock back on. Let it finish fermenting (it will ferment all the way to dry, like a white wine). Leave it for a couple of weeks, at least. Then you'll probably want to backsweeten somehow and then the easiest thing to do is to serve it still (non-carbonated). Take a good read through the above website, it won't lead you astray! Also, take a look at the sticky threads at the top of HBT's cider forum, lots of good info!

Don't worry, really, cider is hard to mess up ;)

And like papers said above back sweeten it but do it with apple juice it should help get some apple flavor back.

Back