new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdunn

Reaction score
I am thinking about brewing a Lager and I was just wondering how I was best off doing it, if anyone can give me tips I would be very greatful

Lagers require much more attention than ales. You need to ferment much cooler and then lager at cold temps for many many weeks. Are you open to trying an ale first? They are much easier and don't require as much attention.

Lagers require much more attention than ales. You need to ferment much cooler and then lager at cold temps for many many weeks. Are you open to trying an ale first? They are much easier and don't require as much attention.

Ales are generally more forgiving too with more hop character, and the potential for more malty sweetness and/or roasty grains. These all help mask imperfections in your brew so are thus easier to brew than a super clean and light lager.

That all said, what kind of lager are you looking at? And what temp can you ferment at? That is really the kicker. If you needed to you could cheat with a lager recipe and an ale yeast that can ferment warmer. People have used Wyeast's German ale or US-05. Let us know more what you are looking for.

I was thinking of doing a light Lager but if an ale would be easier then that's what I will do what t

I have not fermented any apes yet:drunk: sorry had to made me laugh... Depending on your yeast ales are best between 60-70 degree range. I would def do an ale first. A simple pale ale like Edworts haus pale ale is a good clean ale. If your a lager fan I think you would be really happy with it. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back