Best Beginner Starter Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I do, but I usually leave the garage door slightly open and the door to the backyard all the way open. It get warm in there, but I have a pretty good airflow and I have nowhere else to do it for now.

You're a monster. But probably also working with propane before me. I don't like dealing with flames unless I'm searing a steak lol I do a lot of meat smoking too. I think I'll get into propane in the future like I said before though :)

I have not yet tried cider, but it is on my list. In the research I have done, store bought apple juice with no additives except Vitamin C (I cannot remember the chemical name for it) is needed. You simply either empty a small amount from the bottle if you want to try a one gallon batch first, add yeast and leave it on the counter to ferment. Make sure your airlock, the little bubble thingie that you put over the top of the bottle, and the stopper are sanitized and just let it do it's thing. You can get fancy later by adding different fruits, but for me, I am going to buy 5 gallons of apple juice, pasturized I believe, and dump it over my remains in my bucket from my beer batch. As I understand it, a quick shake to get the yeast riled up again is all that is needed to get the yeast to start eating the sugar in the juice and make cider. Again, not having done this yet, this is all based on the info I have gotten here and other beer related web sites.
Now, THAT sounds like some interesting cider. Let me know how it goes! I'd love to do the same in the future. Ya know... kill two birds with one brew? hah

Hello all.

I'm sure many have passed thru the Home Brew Talk forums foraging for the best beginner kit - but I am here again doing the same thing 😂 As a beginner, I'd love to find the best beginner starter kit for brewing. I've been looking at Northern Brewers kits but have been wondering if you experienced folks have any suggestions on better kits!

Let me know down below.

THANKS! Have an awesome Monday.

As a fellow beginner I have some advice. Stay away from pre-configured kits. They always seem overpriced and of
lower quality. Keep in mind I am also a beginner so this could be a misconception.

If you're fortunate enough to have a home brew store near you piece together your own beginner kit. Start by
figuring out what you want to brew, do your research (both here, youtube, and r/homebrewing), make a list,
and go shopping. I find this to be the ideal situation because you can always make a run back if you forgot
something or realize you want to expand. I made trips to our brew store twice a week or more when I
was just starting out.

If you're ordering equipment online you can follow the same procedure, you just don't have the luxury of quick turnaround
time. You have to be doubly sure of what you want / need before ordering so you're not suffering extra shipping costs
and /or time.

I think I found the perfect electric all-in-one starter kit! What do you think? I think this is a good kit to upgrade down the road for bigger batches and eventually all-grain! What do you think @CascadesBrewer ?

I think one could purchase this kit and be very happy with it.

The biggest question would be: Is the DigiBoil the best all-in-one for you? I don't have an all-in-one system. To me the Anvil Foundry system looks very compelling, especially for those in the US where switching between 120V and 240V is a useful feature. The 10.5 gallon size of the Foundry also makes a lot of sense to me. There are also a few other very nice options.

I tend to lean toward recommending a ~$100 basic kit (or that $150 Deluxe kit from MoreBeer) with an extract-based ingredient kit. Brew a batch or two on your stove with a 4-5 gallon kettle. At that point, you will be in a better position to decide where to spend your money. You might be very happy with extract brewing, but decide that you need to invest in fermentation temperature control, or a kegging system. Or maybe small batch BIAB looks appealing, so you want a brew bag and a grain mill. Or maybe an Anvil Foundry, or Grainfather, or Clawhammer Supply system is the next upgrade.

This seems interesting! With a brew in the bag, do you have to do any other additions? Or is it quite literally just steeping one bag? Also, thanks for the book. I'll grab it from Amazon. I'd love to introduce these new concepts and terminology. Thanks!
I think there’s a little confusion about how the process works. With BIAB, the crushed grains are placed in a large mesh bag in your brew kettle after your brewing water is at the desired strike temperature to begin the mash. You allow the grains to mash for the appropriate time and temperature. Once the mash procedure is complete, you hoist out the bag and grain and let it drain into the kettle. While the bag is draining, you can be heating the wort to begin the boil process. All the hop additions are then done at the appropriate time during the boil. The bag is simply a large filter used to mash the grains and separate them from the wort.

The biggest question would be: Is the DigiBoil the best all-in-one for you? I don't have an all-in-one system. To me the Anvil Foundry system looks very compelling, especially for those in the US where switching between 120V and 240V is a useful feature. The 10.5 gallon size of the Foundry also makes a lot of sense to me. There are also a few other very nice options.

I tend to lean toward recommending a ~$100 basic kit (or that $150 Deluxe kit from MoreBeer) with an extract-based ingredient kit. Brew a batch or two on your stove with a 4-5 gallon kettle. At that point, you will be in a better position to decide where to spend your money. You might be very happy with extract brewing, but decide that you need to invest in fermentation temperature control, or a kegging system. Or maybe small batch BIAB looks appealing, so you want a brew bag and a grain mill. Or maybe an Anvil Foundry, or Grainfather, or Clawhammer Supply system is the next upgrade.
I like the Anvil as well. If and when I decide to pull the trigger on a all in one setup, I think that will be the one.

But I think your advice on the less expensive starter setup is the better way to go. Like I said before, other than the 5 gallon pot, I still use all the items in the starter kit as part of my brew day. So, to me, the price and the use I have gotten out of the items has well been worth it.

But I think your advice on the less expensive starter setup is the better way to go. Like I said before, other than the 5 gallon pot, I still use all the items in the starter kit as part of my brew day. So, to me, the price and the use I have gotten out of the items has well been worth it.
Yeah, I figure that worst case is you have $25 invested into a 5-gallon pot that you can use for making large batches of pasta or for a shrimp boil (or repropose for heating sparge water, or use for small batches) and maybe a few buckets that you can use for storage, sanitizer, etc. If you only end up making two batches, that $190 for an equipment kit and a second recipe kit means you spent under $12 each for 16 six packs of beer (about the same price as Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada).

Mead requires less equipment than beer because you don’t boil mead. Other than honey, yeast, and nutrients you pretty much just need a fermenter and your bottling equipment.
This is true. That could be a solid entry point for me. Maybe I'll give mead a go first. But I do like some of the complexities of beer. It feels more... "science-y" to me lol. Quite honestly, when I get my home brew up and running - I plan on fermenting something new every few weeks. I know that sounds insane but when I get involved in a hobby - I no-life it for a bit to get good at it.

As a fellow beginner I have some advice. Stay away from pre-configured kits. They always seem overpriced and of
lower quality. Keep in mind I am also a beginner so this could be a misconception.

If you're fortunate enough to have a home brew store near you piece together your own beginner kit. Start by
figuring out what you want to brew, do your research (both here, youtube, and r/homebrewing), make a list,
and go shopping. I find this to be the ideal situation because you can always make a run back if you forgot
something or realize you want to expand. I made trips to our brew store twice a week or more when I
was just starting out.

If you're ordering equipment online you can follow the same procedure, you just don't have the luxury of quick turnaround
time. You have to be doubly sure of what you want / need before ordering so you're not suffering extra shipping costs
and /or time.
Wow, @DollarStoreChili - thats actually really solid advice and honestly, I never even thought of this. I won't lie I have been leaning on the kits to give me everything I need. I admit that. I need to do more research the find out what I actually need. This way I can put together my own custom kit. Instead of blindly buying a starter kit.

Unfortunately, there are no home brew stores near me. So the kit option might be my only path but at least I'll know what I want to upgrade my set up in the future. Plus, Knowledge = Power!

You make a fair point. I don't want to bite off more than I can swallow. Starting small, recognizing pain points and buying items to advance my brew setup. Baby steps right? But I think that first brew experience should steer what I grab next for my set up.

Let me also look into this Anvil Foundry you speak of, as well. I'll probably have a boatload of questions.

I think there’s a little confusion about how the process works. With BIAB, the crushed grains are placed in a large mesh bag in your brew kettle after your brewing water is at the desired strike temperature to begin the mash. You allow the grains to mash for the appropriate time and temperature. Once the mash procedure is complete, you hoist out the bag and grain and let it drain into the kettle. While the bag is draining, you can be heating the wort to begin the boil process. All the hop additions are then done at the appropriate time during the boil. The bag is simply a large filter used to mash the grains and separate them from the wort.
I'm gonna look this method up on YouTube. I'm pretty confused and I apologize for my naivety.

I like the Anvil as well. If and when I decide to pull the trigger on a all in one setup, I think that will be the one.

Yeah, I figure that worst case is you have $25 invested into a 5-gallon pot that you can use for making large batches of pasta or for a shrimp boil (or repropose for heating sparge water, or use for small batches) and maybe a few buckets that you can use for storage, sanitizer, etc. If you only end up making two batches, that $190 for an equipment kit and a second recipe kit means you spent under $12 each for 16 six packs of beer (about the same price as Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada).
I agree with both of you @redrocker652002 and @CascadesBrewer . The all-in-one may be something geared to folks who KNOW they like brewing and want a bit more streamlined set up. I do like the fact that with a good ole kettle I have to control the fire and all that stuff. It's an experience I don't necessarily want to miss out on. I could always go all-in-one in the future once I have a several batches under my belt.

I agree with both of you @redrocker652002 and @CascadesBrewer . The all-in-one may be something geared to folks who KNOW they like brewing and want a bit more streamlined set up. I do like the fact that with a good ole kettle I have to control the fire and all that stuff. It's an experience I don't necessarily want to miss out on. I could always go all-in-one in the future once I have a several batches under my belt.
For me, the least amount of cash outlay at first was the way I thought. And while those systems are nice, there is something about the process of bringing the water to temp, monitoring it and getting involved in the total process that is a bit more rewarding to me than just pressing a button and going. Heck, I still drive a manual shift 5 speed pickup truck and would take it over an automatic any day. LOL. But, the ease of just pushing a button and walking away is nice too.

I do Brew In a Bag and have been for a while. I likened it to brewing tea. You bring your water up to a certain temp (usually between 148 and 154) and steep a bag full of grain (anywhere between 11 to 15 pounds for a 5 gallon batch) for a certain period of time (usually an hour). Pull the bag, drain the water and move on to the boiling and adding hops (ie sugar and honey I guess would be the closest I could liken it to). Cool it, pitch your yeast then I put it in the bucket from the starter kit and let it do it's thing. It isn't rocket science and if a less than brilliant (not very smart, LOL) guy like me can do it and achieve decent results (workmates and friends keep asking me when I am going to bring them more beer) I think anybody can do it. Takes patience, patience and a little more patience. LOL. Feel free to PM me and I will give you my contact info if you would like and you can I can tell you what I do. I am still very novice at all this, so take what I say as a guy who just is sharing my experience. Rock On!!!!!!!!

quick shake to get the yeast riled up again
Just pouring the juice from the top of the fermenter is enough to get the yeast suspended and get some aeration. I do this pretty often. Remember that you'll get some hop and malt character when doing this (as opposed to starting with fresh yeast in a clean fv) so you should think about what the beer was like and what you want in your finished cider. Good luck!🍻

This is true. That could be a solid entry point for me. Maybe I'll give mead a go first. But I do like some of the complexities of beer. It feels more... "science-y" to me lol. Quite honestly, when I get my home brew up and running - I plan on fermenting something new every few weeks. I know that sounds insane but when I get involved in a hobby - I no-life it for a bit to get good at it.
My usual routine is at least one beer fermenting a month. Once I get my temp control figured out, and retire so I can dedicate to this more, I can see two batches fermenting and two to three taps running. But, that is a bit away. Do what you do to enjoy it, it is still a hobby. Rock On!!!!!!!

Just pouring the juice from the top of the fermenter is enough to get the yeast suspended and get some aeration. I do this pretty often. Remember that you'll get some hop and malt character when doing this (as opposed to starting with fresh yeast in a clean fv) so you should think about what the beer was like and what you want in your finished cider. Good luck!🍻
Good advice. I thought about that too. I am trying to hit something the wife and kids would enjoy, but we will see.

I started with the deluxe Morebeer, moved up to all grain and still use everything from the deluxe kit. Even the cheap 5 gallon pot holds my BIAB in a strainer while I do things. Then I dump that in too. Plus I think brewing a few extracts was an easy way to make drinkable beers.

WOW. That's a process. I'm trying to avoid having my wife help. If she helps, I have to help with her candle making hobby. That was our deal 😂 So thanks for the insight on this process! Definitely going extract first. At least until I get a hang of doing all this stuff by myself. I watched a really solid walkthrough of a basic brew from boil to bottle from More Beer. Basically, he did the boil process in the kitchen. I'd prefer to do this in my garage and I keep seeing folks mention propane burners. Is this the reason folks use propane burners? So they can sort of boil where ever they want?
The biggest thing you want to consider is brew size. If you're doing a 5-gallon batch, you start with six to seven gal of water, depending on the recipe (lower amount with extract). Heating that amount of water on a stove, especially electric is difficult. I live in Maryland and we steam crabs. I have a propane burner in a low stand which worked great. We brewed outside. Only issue with doing it outside or in your garage is that you have to watch out for contamination, especially after the boil ends. At the end of the boil, we brought it inside to our laudry room where we have a utility sink I was able to hook the wort chiller up to. So I wasn't too concerned about contamination. Just be careful, the pot will be heavy and hot. We used two people to carry it in.

Ooof! I definitely want to start with a simpler recipe. What is more simple than an amber ale? Any suggestions? Yeah I noticed most of their recipes were out of stock but they do mention they'll be back in stock in September which is actually perfect timing for me. I close on our house on the 18th of August and we'll be moving a few days after. By September we'll be settling in and I'll be ready to start my brew.

I am concerned about my ferm chamber. I plan on moving the fridge out of the kitchen and into the garage (we're buying one of those uppity LG fridges to replace it) and use this as my ferm chamber so I can regulate temps better. I noticed in the video I watched earlier, they stuck it in the closet in a ice water bucket wrapped in a towel but I'm afraid the temp in my house won't always be 65-68. What are some other options if you don't have a fridge dedicated for your ferm chamber?
Another option is Anvil's Carboy Cooling System - $115.00 - if you're going to start with a beer / yeast that requires a lower fermentation temp. Just check the stopper size of your Fermenter. The Cooling System comes with a #7 stopper. Mine uses a #10. I've been thinking about getting this, so I bought some Bung Hole Cutters for a few bucks off Amazon so that I can continue to use my Fermenter

I don’t remember it being recommended earlier so I’ll suggest buying a book to read while you decide on your new adventure.
The original first edition is available free online, but the most current updated edition is inexpensive on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/How-Brew-Everything-Great-Every/dp/1938469356It will help you get a grasp of all the different ways to brew, as well as all the terminology so everyone is talking the same language.
Great book, I just got it myself.

For me, the least amount of cash outlay at first was the way I thought. And while those systems are nice, there is something about the process of bringing the water to temp, monitoring it and getting involved in the total process that is a bit more rewarding to me than just pressing a button and going. Heck, I still drive a manual shift 5 speed pickup truck and would take it over an automatic any day. LOL. But, the ease of just pushing a button and walking away is nice too.

I do Brew In a Bag and have been for a while. I likened it to brewing tea. You bring your water up to a certain temp (usually between 148 and 154) and steep a bag full of grain (anywhere between 11 to 15 pounds for a 5 gallon batch) for a certain period of time (usually an hour). Pull the bag, drain the water and move on to the boiling and adding hops (ie sugar and honey I guess would be the closest I could liken it to). Cool it, pitch your yeast then I put it in the bucket from the starter kit and let it do it's thing. It isn't rocket science and if a less than brilliant (not very smart, LOL) guy like me can do it and achieve decent results (workmates and friends keep asking me when I am going to bring them more beer) I think anybody can do it. Takes patience, patience and a little more patience. LOL. Feel free to PM me and I will give you my contact info if you would like and you can I can tell you what I do. I am still very novice at all this, so take what I say as a guy who just is sharing my experience. Rock On!!!!!!!!
No apology is needed, we were all there at one time. If you go back to my first few posts I can guarantee my questions were of the most idiotic of all. So, Rock On!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree. I feel like that's exactly where I should be as a beginner. Learning the basics. Controlling temps. "babying" my brew if you will. This is totally a weekend ordeal and I want to experience every bit of this process manually. I'll think about the electric set up, but I def leaning to the premium or deluxe starter kits. Everyone here in this post tells me they still use all or most parts of the kit and just upgrade from there.

I like that. I feel like if I go electric all-in-one, it would be less "modular" than a standard kettle set up. I could be wrong.

@redrocker652002 , you're a rock star and I really appreciate your experience, help and advice. I'll definitely be PMing you when things get rolling on my end. Don't be surprised if I send you a DM and ask you if my krausen looks right 😂 😂

My usual routine is at least one beer fermenting a month. Once I get my temp control figured out, and retire so I can dedicate to this more, I can see two batches fermenting and two to three taps running. But, that is a bit away. Do what you do to enjoy it, it is still a hobby. Rock On!!!!!!!
Yeah, I think at first one ferm a month would be good for me. I would LOVVVEEE to have a full keg system with 2 or 3 beers on tap. Have friends over, drink some of MY beers. I can't wait til I'm at that point. I'm really excited to get to all-grain though. I feel like that's when my creativity will thrive. I'll need to do a BUNCH of research on how to put together recipes but I think I may start with other folks recipes first... Then slowly change them and add my twist to it.

Long story, short: I'm super excited to be apart of this community and to start this new hobby adventure! I have a feeling I'll get addicted to the process of making beer. Which is worrisome but also exciting lol

I started with the deluxe Morebeer, moved up to all grain and still use everything from the deluxe kit. Even the cheap 5 gallon pot holds my BIAB in a strainer while I do things. Then I dump that in too. Plus I think brewing a few extracts was an easy way to make drinkable beers.
Yeah, I noticed most of the folks that have the deluxe/premium starter kit from Morebeer still use most of it. Another reason why I am leaning to go with one of these versus the premium electric starter kit. I want to be able to upgrade to all-grain fairly easy. How do you like all-grain/BIAB vs extracts? Obviously, it's more of the process but do you make your own recipes?

The biggest thing you want to consider is brew size. If you're doing a 5-gallon batch, you start with six to seven gal of water, depending on the recipe (lower amount with extract). Heating that amount of water on a stove, especially electric is difficult. I live in Maryland and we steam crabs. I have a propane burner in a low stand which worked great. We brewed outside. Only issue with doing it outside or in your garage is that you have to watch out for contamination, especially after the boil ends. At the end of the boil, we brought it inside to our laudry room where we have a utility sink I was able to hook the wort chiller up to. So I wasn't too concerned about contamination. Just be careful, the pot will be heavy and hot. We used two people to carry it in.
See this is my biggest dilemma. I don't have a water source out in my garage except for outside of the garage (a garden hose). So I need to think if a garden hose would be sanitary enough to attach to my wort chiller (I'm leaning towards no). Chance are I'll have to do something similar to you. Boil in the garage, and then move it in side for the wort chilling process and fermenter loading.
Another option is Anvil's Carboy Cooling System - $115.00 - if you're going to start with a beer / yeast that requires a lower fermentation temp. Just check the stopper size of your Fermenter. The Cooling System comes with a #7 stopper. Mine uses a #10. I've been thinking about getting this, so I bought some Bung Hole Cutters for a few bucks off Amazon so that I can continue to use my Fermenter
Great book, I just got it myself.
I'll check out that cooling system and do a bit of research into it today. I also bought this book. I'll be diving into it this weekend.

So I need to think if a garden hose would be sanitary enough to attach to my wort chiller
The water that circulates through a wort chiller never touches the wort… some guys with swimming pools use a pond pump and circulate their pool water through it to chill. A garden hose and an outdoor/garage faucet are just fine.

Yeah, I think at first one ferm a month would be good for me. I would LOVVVEEE to have a full keg system with 2 or 3 beers on tap. Have friends over, drink some of MY beers. I can't wait til I'm at that point. I'm really excited to get to all-grain though. I feel like that's when my creativity will thrive. I'll need to do a BUNCH of research on how to put together recipes but I think I may start with other folks recipes first... Then slowly change them and add my twist to it.

Long story, short: I'm super excited to be apart of this community and to start this new hobby adventure! I have a feeling I'll get addicted to the process of making beer. Which is worrisome but also exciting lol
I am the same way with thinking of having multiple taps going. Bad thing is, you have to clean and sanitise them lol. But, my end game is the same as yours, have a few on tap so that when folks come over they can enjoy something that may not be readily available commercially if that makes sense.

I use many of the recipes posted here. I have tweaked some and done others as written. To me, extract and all grain had very little, if any, difference in taste. Either way, enjoy the process and don't be afraid to ask questions.

The water that circulates through a wort chiller never touches the wort… some guys with swimming pools use a pond pump and circulate their pool water through it to chill. A garden hose and an outdoor/garage faucet are just fine.
I was getting ready to say the same thing. Rock On!!!!!!

Under no circumstances should you run a propane burner in your garage.
Running a propane burner inside a garage as long a the door is open and there’s ample fresh air is no problem. Just make sure there are no flammables nearby (oily rags, boxes, gas cans, etc.)

Well, I do, but I usually leave the garage door slightly open and the door to the backyard all the way open. It get warm in there, but I have a pretty good airflow and I have nowhere else to do it for now.
I think lots of folks brew in their garages.

Right but I figured being sanitary is massive and I didn't know if that portion that connects to the hose would be a good idea. Especially if my house outside all day. lol So is this what most folks that do garage brewing who don't have utility sinks do?

I am the same way with thinking of having multiple taps going. Bad thing is, you have to clean and sanitise them lol. But, my end game is the same as yours, have a few on tap so that when folks come over they can enjoy something that may not be readily available commercially if that makes sense.

I use many of the recipes posted here. I have tweaked some and done others as written. To me, extract and all grain had very little, if any, difference in taste. Either way, enjoy the process and don't be afraid to ask questions.
But I figured since extract is pretty "set in stone" there isn't room for creativity. PLEASE correct me if im wrong. I figured all-grain is when you can really fine-tune the recipe.

Running a propane burner inside a garage as long a the door is open and there’s ample fresh air is no problem. Just make sure there are no flammables nearby (oily rags, boxes, gas cans, etc.)

Yeahhh, I'm just a bit frightened by propane. Always been afraid the flame would some how back fill through the hose and blow me up. I know... silly fear but I'll be waiting on propane for a bit. Plus I bought a house in a HOA neighborhood (first time homebuyer, thought it was the best way to go lol) and they may freak out if I fire off a propane tank in my garage.

Right but I figured being sanitary is massive and I didn't know if that portion that connects to the hose would be a good idea. Especially if my house outside all day. lol So is this what most folks that do garage brewing who don't have utility sinks do?
Like every other brewing process, there are countless ways to do it and achieve the same end result. You’ll have to decide what’s best for your situation.

I don’t mean to be uptight here, but chances are you’re not really qualified to judge whether airflow is good enough to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s an unnecessary risk. I could see deciding to take on that risk myself, but talking to folks online … don’t do it.

I don’t mean to be uptight here, but chances are you’re not really qualified to judge whether airflow is good enough to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s an unnecessary risk. I could see deciding to take on that risk myself, but talking to folks online … don’t do it.
You’re right. Ultimately, it’s up to the individual to make that decision and outdoors would be the ideal location. I do, however, work for a propane distribution company and as long as the door is OPEN, and there is adequate ventilation, there SHOULD be no problem. “Door is open” is the key phrase here. If a person chooses to do it, and they are concerned about the risk, installing a carbon monoxide detector in the immediate area would be a good idea.
OP has stated that he is not comfortable with propane, so we will leave it at that.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
I've been brewing with propane in the garage for 6+ years now. I've done it with as little as just a side door open (in the Winter), but I mostly have the garage door all the way up. I'd be much less concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning than I would be about lighting flammables on fire. Sometimes I have a fan running, other times not.

I would hope that people would be smart about where they have their burners, but then again this is 2023. I wouldn't put anything past anyone.

But I figured since extract is pretty "set in stone" there isn't room for creativity. PLEASE correct me if im wrong. I figured all-grain is when you can really fine-tune the recipe.
When I did extract, I used Morebeer's already done recipes. I am sure you can tweak with Extract as well, as the hops are where most of the flavor and bitterness come from and you can play around with the specialty grains to add malty flavor, color and sweetness I am guessing. I will let the pro's answer it for sure, but I am sure you can buy the extract and add whatever hops and other grains you want to get a distinct recipe.

When I did extract, I used Morebeer's already done recipes. I am sure you can tweak with Extract as well, as the hops are where most of the flavor and bitterness come from and you can play around with the specialty grains to add malty flavor, color and sweetness I am guessing. I will let the pro's answer it for sure, but I am sure you can buy the extract and add whatever hops and other grains you want to get a distinct recipe.
This is pretty accurate… the only significant difference between extract brewing and all grain is that the process of mashing has already been done for you (LME or DME). A good extract kit will include a pale base extract and specialty grains to steep to get a suitable wort for the style you’re brewing. Hops and other boil additions are the same no matter which method you choose. You can definitely create good recipes for extract brewing if you want to. Most of the big online suppliers offer great kits that don’t need much adjustment. Take MoreBeer for example (they list the ingredients for all their kits)… look up one of their extract kits, then look at the same all grain kit… usually the only difference you’ll see is the substitution of about 6 pounds of extract for around 10 pounds of base malt grain. Everything else is typically the same, including the specialty grains.
I will point out now that sometimes MoreBeer’s crush is less than ideal (especially for BIAB) if you choose to have them do it.

Last edited:
See this is my biggest dilemma. I don't have a water source out in my garage except for outside of the garage (a garden hose). So I need to think if a garden hose would be sanitary enough to attach to my wort chiller (I'm leaning towards no). Chance are I'll have to do something similar to you. Boil in the garage, and then move it in side for the wort chilling process and fermenter loading.

I'll check out that cooling system and do a bit of research into it today. I also bought this book. I'll be diving into it this weekend.
You don't need to worry about the water going into the wort chiller - it never touches the beer. You hook it up to a water source - sink or hose, and it runs through the copper tube and out the other end, through the plastic (polypropelene?) tube and back into the sink or on to the ground. Once I had my wort chilled to pitching temp, I just moved the boil kettle from the laundry room to the kitchen island, put the fermenter on the floor and drained the wort in.

The contamination I was refering to was from the air outside or in the garage - dust, tree dirt, anything floating around outside or in the garage. Once the wort gets down below sanitization temps if anything "falls in" you could end up with a contamination problem. You can cover it up with aluminum foil for added protection.

Latest posts

Back