New Brewer Gathering Resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglassBrewer

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into starting up a homebrew set up pretty soon. I have been doing lots of reading trying to decide which kit to buy. Right now I am eyeballing the http://www.brewsupply.com/Merchandise/index.html#equipkits, the 2nd one that costs $120. I talked to the guy in the store about the other alternatives and it seems to be a good starting point. I know I have to get a few other things like a pot for the boil and such. I also got Palmer's book on how to brew.

Hope to get the kit for Christmas and start brewing as soon as possible. I am interested in Lagers but don't think I am going to start off with one. Does anyone have a suggestion for a first recipe that is easy and produces a nice beer?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into starting up a homebrew set up pretty soon. I have been doing lots of reading trying to decide which kit to buy. Right now I am eyeballing the http://www.brewsupply.com/Merchandise/index.html#equipkits, the 2nd one that costs $120. I talked to the guy in the store about the other alternatives and it seems to be a good starting point. I know I have to get a few other things like a pot for the boil and such. I also got Palmer's book on how to brew.

Hope to get the kit for Christmas and start brewing as soon as possible. I am interested in Lagers but don't think I am going to start off with one. Does anyone have a suggestion for a first recipe that is easy and produces a nice beer?

The second kit looks nice, I see it has a carboy as a secondary vessel. As an FYI there's a decent amount of folks that aren't using secondary fermentation, I'm one of them. I did a secondary with my first two brews and haven't since, it seems to not have made much of a difference for me. I keep mine in the primary for about 3 - 4 weeks and then bottle, assuming I've got a couple stable hydrometer readings. You'll get a lot of different opinions on here about the "right" way to do things and most of them have merit. After a while you'll figure out how you like to do it and what works well for you.

As you may or may not be aware a lager requires significant temp control, typically down in the low 50's for a few weeks as I understand it (I haven't done a lager). Brown ale's are a popular first recipe as they tend to be forgiving, they're dark in color so you don't have to worry about clarity and they've got a strong enough flavor to mask imperfections. I did a cream ale as my first brew, it was an extract kit with steeping grains. I think that's a good way to start off easily while still being able to produce beers with some additional character.

Have fun and welcome!

We can only hope you will skip bottling and go straight to kegging. Welcome to HBT

We can only hope you will skip bottling and go straight to kegging. Welcome to HBT

Ah all good things come to those who wait. I would love to keg my own beer. But for this lowly poor college student, it may be quite some time before that rolls around. I dream of carving my own tap heads for each beer I make. I say take the first brew in stride and take it from there!

Your title made me think "You need more pylons!"

Not sure if that will mean anything to you, but welcome aboard!

Your title made me think "You need more pylons!"

Not sure if that will mean anything to you, but welcome aboard!

This gave me a laugh because it was actually exactly what made me think of it. But I play Terran so none of that pylon nonsense. ;)

Back