New brewer from CT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyP

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just got into brewing a few weeks ago when my wife got me a homebrewing kit for Valentine's Day. I was floored--truly the best present my wife has gotten me. I don't think she realizes what she got herself into! It started as a fun weekend project for me and now I'm already looking at buying additional fermenters and a chest freezer for lagering.

I live pretty close to a great home brew store, The Maltose Express, which is owned by Tess and Mark Szamatulski, authors of the Clone Brews and Beer Captured books. You can go to their store and buy ready made recipe kits from their books, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. My first brew was an extract clone of Schneider-Weisse hefeweizen. Despite making some rookie mistakes, it turned out great!

I just bottled by second batch last weekend--DragonTail's Ginger Ale. It tastes great so far. Based on this experience I've realized that I'm more interested in trying unique recipes than clones of exisiting brews. Even though I have more beer than I know what to do with now, I'm already contemplating my next batch. EdWort's Apfelwein, Austin Homebrew Supply's Hibiscus Ginger Saison, or both!

I've spent a couple weeks lurking in the forums and decided it was about time to register. I've already gained a lot of knowledge and confidence from reading the wisdom and experience of others and I'm looking forward to taking part in the discussions. Cheers!

welcome, iam from Seymour i do all grain. Maltose express is little expensive just to give you heads up.

welcome, iam from Seymour i do all grain. Maltose express is little expensive just to give you heads up.

Thanks, I was starting to suspect as much, especially when pricing things online... even with shipping costs it's usually cheaper. Maltose Express is about a 45 minute drive for me (I live just north of Danbury) so it isn't super convenient. Still, I'm glad that there is a good local store for when I need things in a hurry.

i just buy a specialty grains from them, bace grain i try to buy by the sack on the net. i got my beginer kit there, clone recipies are good. one more funny thing, i have a book that those buys wrote so when ever i was ordering from the book it was a 20$ more if i just told them that i need ingridients.

If you have more beer than you know what to do with, may I suggest finding other homebrewers and trading around? It's also nice to have friends who can appreciate your efforts and skills.

We are bottling our first (drinkable) batch of wine tonight, 26-28 bottles worth, and I bet we'll end up giving at least 20 bottles away.

Don't drink alone... anyone who has booze, has friends! :mug:

If you have more beer than you know what to do with, may I suggest finding other homebrewers and trading around? It's also nice to have friends who can appreciate your efforts and skills.

We are bottling our first (drinkable) batch of wine tonight, 26-28 bottles worth, and I bet we'll end up giving at least 20 bottles away.

Don't drink alone... anyone who has booze, has friends! :mug:

Yes, definitely. I actually have been giving out beer from my first batch for people try, and trying to get my friends interested. One of those friends happens to know someone in the restaurant business with lots of empty bottles, so he supplies me with bottles as I supply him with beer!

I looked around for a local homebrew club in my area and didn't find any active groups. Anyone in the Danbury area know of anything?

I'm already contemplating my next batch. EdWort's Apfelwein, Austin Homebrew Supply's Hibiscus Ginger Saison, or both!

Welcome!

Do both!!! EdWort's Apfelwein is great! Just give it enough time.

I have never brewed that recipe from Austin Homebrew, but every recipe I have brewed from them (about 10 now) was great!

Dave

I looked around for a local homebrew club in my area and didn't find any active groups. Anyone in the Danbury area know of anything?

Part of the forum is dedicated to events/locations. You could give that a look-see. Best to ya!!

Hey CazyP. Welcome to HBT and your new obsession.

John from Hamden.

Welcome :mug:
Glad you liked the recipe.
I haven't made that in a long time, may have to through it in the line up. :)

Welcome! I'm in Northern Westchester, only 10 miles from Danbury. I recently found a brew club in the area although I have not been able to get to one of their monthly meetings yet, hopefully this month. Anyway, it might be little bit of a haul for you as it is the Westchester Homebrewers Organization, www.westchesterhomebrewers.com, and meets down in Pleasantville the third Wednesday of every month at the Captain Lawrence Brewery. I hope to check it out this month.

Thanks everyone for the replies and recommendations on brew clubs. Hopefully I can make it to meeting soon. The CRABS group that meets in New Milford is closer to me than Pleasantville but both are pretty reasonable drives. Cheers!

Howdy from Ansonia.

Maltose is great just to have a place in case of emergency. I got my startup supplies there, and I will happily buy anything from them (especially when I get gift certificates!), but when I am buying for a full recipe or multiple batches, online is the way to go. It's sad, but thats America.
There is a little place a block away from me too, but it is more focused on wine. Still plenty of carboys, basic kits for newbies, and all sorts of gadgets that HBers love.

speaking of in case of emergency... I broke my thermometer... I should head down there

Back