New Brewer- 1st Brew Today, 1/12/12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm 3 full days into primary fermentation. I pitched the yeast on Thursday at 2:00 PM and the primary started off like gangbusters, and now it's slowed to almost a stop. I've got the airlock on and plan on fermenting for another 18 days (giving me 4 full weeks of primary fermentation). I already know the answer to this question, but it just helps hearing it from veteran brewers...Is it OK that my fermentation has basically stopped? I'm getting no bubbles in the airlock and the krauzen is just a small ring around the neck of the carboy. There are very very very tiny bubbles moving up towards the krauzen, but that's about it. I've maintained 60 degrees ambient temperature for this Brown Ale. Unfortunately, I don't have a hydrometer, as I'm just following the directions from the kit.

I'm still ok, right?

You're OK, but I would get a hydrometer. Vigorous fermentation in these kits stops in a few days, however, the yeast will keep working slowly for the next 1-2 weeks. The only way to be sure you're done is to get a stable gravity reading over 3 days. That said, if you ferment for a full month, you should be good. But you'll want a hydrometer.

60° might be a little low and depending on the yeast used (my kit had Munton's dry yeast, but it's the only BBS kit I ever bought), it might go to sleep on you. Now that initial fermentation has slowed, I would suggest gradually bringing the temperature up to around 70° over the last week or so, just to make sure that the yeast has done everything it can. Fermentation temp control is most crucial during the earlier stages, so you shouldn't see any adverse effects.

Dude, I'm a total noob too, so I mean it with affection, but you need to seriously take the best advice that anyone can give around here.

Relax. Don't worry. Have a beer. (and soon you will be relaxing with your homebrew)

The big activity at the start of a brew does slow down quite a bit, but the yeast is still doing its work. You will be fine, just give it time.

Hey all- So I bought one of those stick on thermometers for my carboy. I'm a little confused though, because there are 3 temps that are "highlighted"...One is turquoise blue, one is a tan color, and one is a darker brown. Since the thermometer is calibrated by 2, the colors are 60 (tan), 62 (turquoise), and 64 (darker brown).

What one is correct? haha

The turquoise color is the closest. The stick on thermometers aren't the most accurate but when you are fermenting close is good enough. Once the vigorous fermentation is over you can let your beer warm up a bit to encourage the yeast to finish the clean up phase. I like to give mine a week at 60 to 65 and then bring them to 72 for the next 2 weeks.

The turquoise color is the closest. The stick on thermometers aren't the most accurate but when you are fermenting close is good enough. Once the vigorous fermentation is over you can let your beer warm up a bit to encourage the yeast to finish the clean up phase. I like to give mine a week at 60 to 65 and then bring them to 72 for the next 2 weeks.

Yea, my primary started off really vigorously, and hasn't done much since. I want to primary for 3 weeks so it can clean itself up and give me a clear brew but I'm only 5 full days into it and there hasn't been much action in about 3 days. So you think it's time to raise the temp to around 70-72?

One - If you aren't already, get a hydrometer and take those readings. If for no better reason, it's a very fun part of the process!

Two - I am a new brewer as well and I LOVE my autosiphon. I'd get the clip with it - it really helps to hold it in place. The bottle wand is great! When you use it, go slow at first when filling bottles or you will get a rush of foam to the top of the bottle that will settle down and leave you way too much airspace. Starting out slow and speeding up a little will fill the bottle to the top and removing the wand, the displacement of the wand leaves exactly the right airspace.

I use buckets and not having any experience with carboys, my gut reaction tells me that getting a bottling bucket and racking to that and using the spigot plus bottling cane would be much easier than trying to bottle from the siphon.

This message is for Mark. I forget your username, but you just PM'd me. I think I responded, but I'm not positive, and like an idiot, deleted all of my inbox/sent messages. If I didn't respond, let me know hahaha

Yea, my primary started off really vigorously, and hasn't done much since. I want to primary for 3 weeks so it can clean itself up and give me a clear brew but I'm only 5 full days into it and there hasn't been much action in about 3 days. So you think it's time to raise the temp to around 70-72?

One of the reasons to begin the fermentation cool is that the process is exothermic so if you start the ferment with the wort at 72 it might be 82 in the middle of the fermenter which will give you some weird flavors and usually a hot jet fuel burn from the fusel alcohol. When you start it cooler the yeast activity is slower so it doesn't warm up as much but then when the fast ferment is over and most of the sugar is gone the yeast need a little warmer to keep going. Your flavor is pretty much set as the yeast propagate and do the fast ferment so you can safely raise the temperature. I normally let mine have a full week just so I know that the easy sugars are gone but I doubt you will have any off flavors by warming it after just 5 days.

One of the reasons to begin the fermentation cool is that the process is exothermic so if you start the ferment with the wort at 72 it might be 82 in the middle of the fermenter which will give you some weird flavors and usually a hot jet fuel burn from the fusel alcohol. When you start it cooler the yeast activity is slower so it doesn't warm up as much but then when the fast ferment is over and most of the sugar is gone the yeast need a little warmer to keep going. Your flavor is pretty much set as the yeast propagate and do the fast ferment so you can safely raise the temperature. I normally let mine have a full week just so I know that the easy sugars are gone but I doubt you will have any off flavors by warming it after just 5 days.

Thanks...I just opened up the door to my walk-in closet to let some more warmth in. Here goes!

Hi guys- so I'm a full 6 days into my primary fermentation. Day 1 and 2 really went strong, day 3 was a bit of a decline, and day 4, 5, and today, were pretty much nothing but very very tiny bubbles moving up to the surface (hardly any). The krauzen is basically gone and the yeast cake is very visible at the bottom. For the first 6 days, my ambient temp was between 60-62 (Brown Ale). I got some feedback that after the vigorous fermentation was finished, it would be wise to bump the ambient temp up a little higher, say 68-70, so that the yeast can clean up after itself for a week or 2.

I just did this, and hope someone can confirm that this is the right move. I moved the primary from my walk in closet where the ambient was 60, to the middle room closet where the ambient is 66. I wrapped a towel around it and I expect the temp to rise just a bit.

Sound good? (I want to ferment a complete 3 weeks, so it's OK to leave in the warmer (68-70) range for the next 2 weeks, right?

Thank you!

PS- I don't have a hydrometer...Getting one for my next brew though.

The part of the ferment where keeping it cool is important is the initial couple of days as the yeast are propagating and then eating the easy sugars. This fast action raises the temperature of the wort which causes the yeast to give off flavors and higher alcohols (fusel oils). Once the ferment slows and the krausen drops you can let the beer (yes it is beer now as it contains alcohol) warm to room temperature to encourage the yeast to clean up. The flavor is already determined at this point.

The part of the ferment where keeping it cool is important is the initial couple of days as the yeast are propagating and then eating the easy sugars. This fast action raises the temperature of the wort which causes the yeast to give off flavors and higher alcohols (fusel oils). Once the ferment slows and the krausen drops you can let the beer (yes it is beer now as it contains alcohol) warm to room temperature to encourage the yeast to clean up. The flavor is already determined at this point.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Back