Never used Citra before..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hey folks! I just ordered 2 hops i never used before!

This is is my "planned" recipe for a 25L(6.6gal) batch.

Grain:

10# canadian 2-row
4# pils

Hops:

60min - 0.75oz Magnum
15min - 0.25oz Citra
10min - 0.25oz Citra
5min - 0.25oz Citra
0min - 0.25oz Citra

Yeast: Notty yeast cake.

OG: 1.058
IBU: 40-45
SRM: 4

What do you guys think? I have never used these hops before! I also have 1oz of cascade, centennial and amarillo that i was going to make another pale ale with.

Last edited:
Citra is fantastic. I call it the Gateway Hop. It turns people into IPA lovers. Lol!

.75 oz of Magnum is enough for bittering. I'd just toss all the Citra in at flameout.

I'm lazy too, so take that into account. :mug:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I hate Citra. It smells like cat Pi$$ to me no matter how little I use. Maybe I'm just sensitive to Citra. It's the only hop that does that do me. I've tried it a number of times even without dry hopping and just using it as a flavor hop I just can't handle it. Also tried dry hopping and as an aroma hop. I gave up on Citra and I know I'm a minority here.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but I hate Citra. It smells like cat Pi$$ to me no matter how little I use. Maybe I'm just sensitive to Citra. It's the only hop that does that do me. I've tried it a number of times even without dry hopping and just using it as a flavor hop I just can't handle it. Also tried dry hopping and as an aroma hop. I gave up on Citra and I know I'm a minority here.

Interesting.. thanks. It has a strong smell then i assume?

Everyone's taste buds are different. I've heard many people say the same thing as you. The overwhelming majority of opinions are positive though, from what I've witnessed and read.

Simcoe tastes like what I'd perceive to be cat pee. I can't stand it, so I understand where you are coming from. It doesn't bother me in Hopslam for some reason though. Strange...

As for Citra, I love it. I always have one Citra beer on tap, and it's usually the first keg to kick when people are over.
:mug:

Everyone's taste buds are different. I've heard many people say the same thing as you. The overwhelming majority of opinions are positive though, from what I've witnessed and read.

Simcoe tastes like what I'd perceive to be cat pee. I can't stand it, so I understand where you are coming from. It doesn't bother me in Hopslam for some reason though. Strange...

As for Citra, I love it. I always have one Citra beer on tap, and it's usually the first keg to kick when people are over.

Have you bottled this before? Thats the plan because sadly my CO2 will be gone soon - i don't have a local supply. I was thinking of serving this for christmas actually. %6 hoppy beer? why not!

I'm thinking 2 weeks in the bottles should do the trick...?

This^
Then chill to 170F and whirlpool/hopstand for 15 minutes before chilling all the way and transferring to fermentor.

I'm new to this whirlpool thing. So do you stir the wort for 15 minutes after flame out? I i have a chiller so i can bring it down to roughly 170f before i start stirring.

Have you bottled this before? Thats the plan because sadly my CO2 will be gone soon - i don't have a local supply. I was thinking of serving this for christmas actually. %6 hoppy beer? why not!

I'm thinking 2 weeks in the bottles should do the trick...?

Absolutely! Bottle away! I'd also recommend to dry hop an ounce or two in the primary fermenter at room temp for 3-5 days before bottling.

IMO, Citra homebrew tastes the best at about 3 weeks after bottling. Commercial Citra beers I'd drink within a week of the date on the bottle.

As for whirlpooling, just chill down to 170° and then toss the hops in. Let them steep for 15-30 minutes, then chill as usual. No stirring required.

Absolutely! Bottle away! I'd also recommend to dry hop an ounce or two in the primary fermenter at room temp for 3-5 days before bottling.

IMO, Citra homebrew tastes the best at about 3 weeks after bottling. Commercial Citra beers I'd drink within a week of the date on the bottle.

As for whirlpooling, just chill down to 170° and then toss the hops in. Let them steep for 15-30 minutes, then chill as usual. No stirring required.

How does your beer clear when you whirlpool? I'm a sucker for clear beer.

I'm new to this whirlpool thing. So do you stir the wort for 15 minutes after flame out? I i have a chiller so i can bring it down to roughly 170f before i start stirring.

Flameout means no more heat, start chilling process.

If you use an immersion chiller, you should move it around in your wort or stir the wort to increase chilling efficiency. Any late hops will still extract during this time until it drops below 140F. There is also some isomerization until the wort drops below 190-180F, but the rate drops off pretty steeply below 200F.

To perform a hopstand/whirlpool you stop chilling (turn water off) once you reach your intended whirlpool temp, leave the chiller in the wort so it remains sanitized. You can stir every couple minutes to bring the hops up from the bottom and increase contact with the wort. You'll probably lose another 10 degrees while you do this for 10-15 minutes. Keep the lid on as much as possible.

If you have a pump you would recirculate the wort during the chilling and whirlpool process. Unless you put your hops in hop bags or a hop spider you'll need some sort of kettle filter to prevent excess hops entering and clogging your pump.

Flameout means no more heat, start chilling process.

If you use an immersion chiller, you should move it around in your wort or stir the wort to increase chilling efficiency. Any late hops will still extract during this time until it drops below 140F. There is also some isomerization until the wort drops below 190-180F, but the rate drops off pretty steeply below 200F.

To perform a hopstand/whirlpool you stop chilling (turn water off) once you reach your intended whirlpool temp, leave the chiller in the wort so it remains sanitized. You can stir every couple minutes to bring the hops up from the bottom and increase contact with the wort. You'll probably lose another 10 degrees while you do this for 10-15 minutes. Keep the lid on as much as possible.

If you have a pump you would recirculate the wort during the chilling and whirlpool process. Unless you put your hops in hop bags or a hop spider you'll need some sort of kettle filter to prevent excess hops entering and clogging your pump.

Thanks, i have a pump filter. I have a grainfather - really nice and simple system - actually.

I wish you guys just called a whirlpool a hop stand! lol "whirl" is a verb.

love Citra, especially in combo with Mosaic

think Deschutes' Fresh Squeezed. YUM

I get the cat pi$$ thing more with Simcoe, not at all with Citra

agree with K1ngl1ves, all at flameout and I would add some more in a dry hop. but that's me

Back