NEIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I don't think there are any commercial NEIPAs available where I am so if I want to try one I may have to brew one myself. I have 4oz of Centennial and Citra as well as 2oz of CRYO Mosaic. What kind of recipe should I make given what I have. (5 gallons)

100% 2 row or maris otter. if you want to add stuff you can use a small amount of acid malt and or carafoam. I work at a brewery in the north east and that is what 90% of our recipes are.

I think you're going to need some more hops @jbsg02. I just did my first one and it had 13oz of hops in the recipe. These beers have massive dry hop additions and flameout additions. I dont' think 6oz is enough but that's just my opinion.

I think you're going to need some more hops @jbsg02. I just did my first one and it had 13oz of hops in the recipe. These beers have massive dry hop additions and flameout additions. I dont' think 6oz is enough but that's just my opinion.

I have 4oz each of Centennial and Citra, so 8 ounces of that and 2oz of CRYO mosaic that apparently is more like 4oz worth

Ohhhhh ok. I misread your initial post, sorry about that. I would think that would be good enough for a recipe. I did the recipe posted here...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7701386&postcount=1418
It's still in the fermenter so I can't comment on how good it was but I would imagine you could take the recipe and just swap out the hops for what you have. I could be very wrong on that though, so not sure.

Pale malt, 10%-15% wheat, 2%-5% oats. Start adding hops from 5 minutes left in the boil onward. Leave the mosaic for whirlpool. Wyeast 1318 or similar.

To make anything with 'IPA' in the name requires about 1lb hops per 5 gallons.... about 3/4-9/10 of that will be late and dry hops. At best you're looking at a pale ale with what you have.

Also this recipe style has been thoroughly discussed here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

A pound per 5 gallons? Sorry but that's just not true. Yes you can make one using 16oz of hops but MOST IPA recipes use less and much less than that.

A pound per 5 gallons? Sorry but that's just not true. Yes you can make one using 16oz of hops but MOST IPA recipes use less and much less than that.

Depends what you're going for and the OG, but to get into the 6-7% ABV range and still be hop forward you're going to need a lot of hops - closer to a lb. Now if you're making a 5% NEIPA style beer, then yah, you can go less.

I can guarantee you can't use too many :mug:

Depends what you're going for and the OG, but to get into the 6-7% ABV range and still be hop forward you're going to need a lot of hops - closer to a lb. Now if you're making a 5% NEIPA style beer, then yah, you can go less.

I can guarantee you can't use too many :mug:

I do agree that the NEIPA recipes I've seen use a lot more hops than the standard American IPA recipes. Wish I could find a commercial example in Texas!

A pound per 5 gallons? Sorry but that's just not true.

Depends on style of IPA. I make hoppy NE style and always use 14-18 oz of hops per 5 gallon batch. 1 oz in boil, 6 oz at flameout/whirlpool and 6-10 oz dry hop in the fermenter.

I've done 20 gallons of the Heady Topper recipe ("As Seen On HBT") that uses 14 ounces per 5 gallons, nearly all of it post-boil.

It's truly an NEIPA thing...

Cheers!

My go to NE IPA recipe uses 13 ounces of hops plus 3 mL of CTZ hop extract for the bittering addition at 60 minutes. The 13 ounces are spread out at flameout, whirlpool below 170F and 2 dry hop additions. If I was using pellet hops for the bittering addition at 60, I would be over 13 ounces total for 5G. Its totally within reason this style pushes 1 full pound of hops.

Back