Neighbor says my rig looks like a Meth Lab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam62cb

Reaction score
After that comment I was wondering if anyone else goes to home depot as often as their LHBS when planning their next brew?

I had 2 fermenters of cider going in my dorm room. My roommate saw the bubbles and said the same thing >.<

I had some friends over for a brew day and they asked me "are you sure this is legal?"

Don't worry what people say or think.

Transamguy77 said:
I had some friends over for a brew day and they asked me "are you sure this is legal?"

Don't worry what people say or think.

Not a uncommen question. The feds and states make things that shouldt be illegal all the time, im from Illinois and we need a FOID card to buy guns and even ammo ( fire owners indentification card FOID). Took me 4 months to get my card from State LEO's. Also I think were the only state now that doesnt promite CCW (concealed carry)

When we first started brewing and had a bunch of fermenters going in our ghetto, nasty, concrete basement we had a friend ask if that stuff could make you go blind.

Anyways, I get all kinds of strange looks from people walking or driving by when I'm brewing.

EnjoyGoodBeer said:
Not a uncommen question. The feds and states make things that shouldt be illegal all the time, im from Illinois and we need a FOID card to buy guns and even ammo ( fire owners indentification card FOID). Took me 4 months to get my card from State LEO's. Also I think were the only state now that doesnt promite CCW (concealed carry)

You can thank Chicago for that.

I was selling a lawn mower over the summer and an on duty cop stopped to look. I also had a boil going at the entrance to my garage. After talking about the mower, he noticed my keggle.
"what are you doing?"
"brewing beer"
"is that legal?"
"you tell me, you're the cop"
The look on his face was priceless.

You should move to Portland. I brew on the front porch and have never gotten weird looks or stupid comments. Maybe it's because whole areas of the city smells like boiling wort all the time.

You should move to Portland. I brew on the front porch and have never gotten weird looks or stupid comments. Maybe it's because whole areas of the city smells like boiling wort all the time.

+1 In Durham, they come over to ask what I'm brewing and how long until it will be ready.

I had someone swing by while we had two batches boiling in keggles at the same time.
"Cooking turkeys?"
"Nope, Meth"

He gave me a weird look and took off never to be seen again. May sound rude, but he was a not so nice looking person and I live on a private drive and we look out for each other. (Which apparently involves me supplying the 12 other condos with fresh beer)

You're feeling a little hostile, huh?

I don't abide people being judgmental. If one of my neighbors thought I was doing something illegal, I'd tell them to put it on the line and call the authorities. End of conversation. We shouldn't have to justify ourselves to anyone who's not legally in position to question us.

I had this same problem one hot day this past summer. I was workin away in my brewery/man cave with the front door open. I then herd mrs neighbor on a cell phone talk to somebody...maybe this other person was also watchin with banculars? They do that around here,nosey F'rs. Anyway,I overheard her say,"yeah,idk,it looks like a meth lab or something".
Fast forward a month or two. The same trouble makin cop comes over with a big BS story about something my youngest son did. Turns out he really wqas lying & this other kid just didn't want parental troubles.
Anyway,the second cop,a rather hip black fella questions me about my stuff in the corner to the right of my comp hutch. I explain that it's for brewin my own beer. Talked a bit about it,& how I know it's legal as long as I don't sell,trade,or barter with it in Ohio. He nodded in agreement. Not one bit of trouble since. No more nosey phone calls about my lil home brewry either.
Funny how much folks that don't do drugs know so much about what the rigs look like that produce them...:drunk:

I hate when people just show up on my driveway when I'm brewing, or anytime really. If I want you over I'll invite you.

I'm the opposite. Met new friends earlier this year, they (husband, wife and 11/2 y/o daughter) were walking to a playground, saw us in our garage and did the friendly, neighborly thing and introduced themselves as homebrewers too.

Since then, they've joined our homebrews club, have carpooled to meetings, shared homebrew, and had them over with some other families to brew the White House Honey Ale.

They live a few blocks over and I'm grateful they were friendly and outgoing enough to stop by uninvited - probably would never have met them otherwise.

Yknow what would be really funny? Having a rig on the LES and some *****enozzle calls in a "meth lab" and of course shows up to "help point out the problem to the police" (we all know at least one of these helpy helpertons here). Anyway, Airborne shows up and both AB and I, he being a police sergeant and me... not... get to look at herp derp and tell him to pound salt at the same time.

That would be incredibly amusing.

Yeah,it would be great to see that here as well. These certain people are just that sort. They need to take a line from Hank Sr-mind your own business & ya won't have time for mine.

Last time I was brewing in my driveway a cop drove by then parked in the lot across the street and watched me for about 5 minutes. I really didn't notice him until my wife pointed it out. Maybe taking hydrometer readings caught his eye and looked suspicious. When my wife came out he left I guess he figured I had adult supervision. :p

We were brewing in the driveway one Saturday and about mid way through the boil got hungry so we ordered a pizza. When the delivery arrived the driver asked what we were cooking. I told him we were making beer. He asked if he could taste it so I pulled out a stout, poured and handed it to him. He tasted it, excused himself and grabbed his phone, I was a little concerned. When he returned he said that he called the shop and told them he had car trouble and then asked us if we had any IPA's. we now get e free pizza (and the driver) every brew day.

I'm the opposite. Met new friends earlier this year, they (husband, wife and 11/2 y/o daughter) were walking to a playground, saw us in our garage and did the friendly, neighborly thing and introduced themselves as homebrewers too.

Since then, they've joined our homebrews club, have carpooled to meetings, shared homebrew, and had them over with some other families to brew the White House Honey Ale.

They live a few blocks over and I'm grateful they were friendly and outgoing enough to stop by uninvited - probably would never have met them otherwise.

Yeah, I invite anyone who gives an inquisitive look my way into the garage to see what I'm doing. By now, the entire neighborhood knows what beer making looks like.

Next time, snicker a little and tell him you thought he was a meth user from the way he has acted in the past few days...but be vague. That way he will begin to question everything he does

inhousebrew said:
Anyways, I get all kinds of strange looks from people walking or driving by when I'm brewing.

This exact reason is why I love brewing on my front porch. People get the craziest looks on their faces when I have my cooler mash tun up on my porch wall and my bk on the steps. It's priceless and I love every second of it!!!

And to the OP... Looks like its time to start brewing some wild beers. The pellicles will blow his mind.

I don't abide people being judgmental. If one of my neighbors thought I was doing something illegal, I'd tell them to put it on the line and call the authorities. End of conversation. We shouldn't have to justify ourselves to anyone who's not legally in position to question us.
You don't seem very friendly.

Outer space beer? Now theres a reason to continue the space program. I wonder how you would contain the boiling wort?

Outer space beer? Now theres a reason to continue the space program. I wonder how you would contain the boiling wort?

Teaching the little grey men how to brew saved me from getting probed the last time I was abducted. No more tin foil hat either!

I had this happen this week. I had just kicked off the boil on the second brew of the day. I was inside updating a google calendar I maintain for my hockey team with the new schedule, when we saw legs walking past the windows in the family room (room is sunken in the ground by 3 feet). It was new neighbors that were out walking the dog and smelled the wort and saw the rig in the driveway. Wanted to know what we were brewing, check out how the system worked. They had just gotten into homebrewing themselves. So we invited them to our next homebrew club meeting and barrel brew. Nice way to meet the neighbors.

Back