Need to use up some malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreeneTiki

Reaction score
I have some malts left from a recipe I had planned on doing but never got around to. They're old but figured I might as well to make something with them. I'm pretty new to brewing so not even sure which direction to in for the style. Here's what I have:

10.6 pale lme
1.5 lbs briess 60L
.25 lbs carafa II

I think the original plan was to do a black IPA...maybe. Any ideas would be appreciated.

You could probably make a fine bitter out of that, with the addition of English hops and yeast. I believe that the carafa II can be used in place of chocolate malt. I would scan through this amazing list of bitter recipes, and find one that calls for your ingredients (It's English, so you will have to do math: remember, .035 oz in a gram, .75 lbs LME for 1 LB pale malt). I did see something called "Piston Bitter," a special bitter, which might work. For five gallons, you would steep 3.2 oz of the 60L and 2.1 oz of the carafa, then add 7 lbs of the LME. Boil for 90 minutes with .7 oz of Challenger and .84 oz of Goldings, then add .7 oz of Godlings in the last 15 minutes. O.G. should be 1.044, for a nice sessionable 4.3% ABV.

you could just wing it. Slap together what you have, call it GreeneTiki's Leftover Ale, keep good notes and see how it turns out. Just pick your favorite hops and yeast and you're in business.

A bitter sounds like a very good idea. Although I would like to use all the ingredients in one batch so I may just wing it and see what happens.

I'd definitely use chico, nottingham, or WL002/English dry yeast. What hops do you have? I'd stick with something earthy like Goldings. Nothing too citrusy.

Haven't gotten the hops and yeast yet. Still trying to formulate so choices are wide open.

I have some malts left from a recipe I had planned on doing but never got around to. They're old but figured I might as well to make something with them. I'm pretty new to brewing so not even sure which direction to in for the style. Here's what I have:

10.6 pale lme
1.5 lbs briess 60L
.25 lbs carafa II

I think the original plan was to do a black IPA...maybe. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Look up the Back in Black IPA on the Can You Brew It podcast (search this forum first). I think all you are missing is some Munich.

passedpawn said:
Look up the Back in Black IPA on the Can You Brew It podcast (search this forum first). I think all you are missing is some Munich.

FWIW I miss the old user text...in place of trainee

Back