Need some help with my first ever lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan.therrien

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing an American light lager with a 1.038og using saflager w-34/70. The problems I have are fermenting at the lower end of the yeast temperatures. I can only keep my cooler at an average of 48.8F and am worried the yeast will go dormant.. I ordered a new temp control to bring it up to 52ish but it wont arrive for a few days. Do you think it'll be fine? If they do go dormant, how do you "wake" them up?

Also.. I plan on using gelatin finings in the secondary after D-rest and lager in the secondary for 6 weeks. I have been using dextrose tablets from northern brewer in each bottle to carbonate. Is this still a good idea for a lager? Do I bottle at fermenting temperature and condition at fermenting temperature as well?

ALSO.. will there be enough yeast left in suspension to bottle condition after lagering? I have until mid october to finish this beer.

Lots of questions but I hope you guys can help!

48F is a little low, but should work out fine if you are patient, esp if doing a D rest, 53-54 is usually where I run that yeast..

I keg, so my steps are a little different, but I'd recommend D rest in fermentor, rack, bottle, condition at fermentation temp or a little above, and then crash and lager.

Yeast should be fine if you condition/carbonate before crash. Probably would get going after lagering, but would not count on it.

48F is a little low, but should work out fine if you are patient, esp if doing a D rest, 53-54 is usually where I run that yeast..

I keg, so my steps are a little different, but I'd recommend D rest in fermentor, rack, bottle, condition at fermentation temp or a little above, and then crash and lager.

Yeast should be fine if you condition/carbonate before crash. Probably would get going after lagering, but would not count on it.

So you'd recommend lagering in the bottles as well? I figured I'd get clearer beer if I lagered in the secondary before racking..

If I still go that route, I could add some fresh yeast to the bottling process right? How would I go about that?

There will be a little more sediment in bottle that way, not that much. If you lager a 3 or 4 weeks it will settle clean. You could add the fresh yeast, but is adding another step and variable in my opinion. You did say it was first lager, so keeping simple might be good. More steps usually mean more chances to oxidize.

Anyway, that is way I used to do it when I bottled, but not saying your route is wrong.

Agreed. I only bottle and that is my process. (although I technically bottle from the fermenter) I usually toss one bottle in the fridge after 2 weeks for a day or two to make sure its carbed and then toss the remainder in the fridge. Works very well.

So you'd recommend lagering in the bottles as well? I figured I'd get clearer beer if I lagered in the secondary before racking..

If I still go that route, I could add some fresh yeast to the bottling process right? How would I go about that?

Every time Ive used 34/70, its been pretty damn clear when I'm ready to package (three weeks, usually). And if it isn't completely clear, it was by the time the bottles carbonated. Add in a cold condition period, and I could read the morning paper through the glass.

I've never tried lagering before bottling. I would think that you'd need a bit extra to get the yeast woken up and hungry. From my personal research, it seems folks would add a pinch of yeast to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Usually something that drops and stays solid. Nottingham and the like.

I just noticed that you mentioned gelatin. I think in order for gelatin to work, you would need to go the cold crash/secondary route? I dont have any experience in it, but I have not really heard of folks using gelatin in bottling situations, only after a cold crash and while kegging.

Thanks for all the input! I think I'll go your route and do it all in the bottle.. I'll come back in a few months and let you know how it went!

Make sure you actually need a d-rest. It's an extra step that may not be needed, I've used 34/70 a lot and have never needed one.
You won't need to add yeast at bottling unless you've lagered a REALLY long time.

Back