Need opinions on this Bavarian Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wunnup

Reaction score
Ive been looking through a few recipes and put together a recipe here it is tell me what you think.

3lbs. bavarian wheat dme
3lbs. light dme
1/2 lbs cara-pils
1oz. hallertau hops .5 for bittering .5 for aroma.
weienstephan liquid yeast
irish moss.

im looking for a strong banana flavor, and was thinking of adding fruit in secondary, so any tips or help with that would be great thanks guys!!! cheers

It's all about the fermentation temperature to get banana. Ferment around 67 degrees. Make sure to do a starter around 1300 mL. I wouldn't bother with the Irish moss on a hef. The extra proteins will help with head retention anyways and they are supposed to be cloudy.

Ps, not sure I'd bother with the fruit in the secondary. That yeast is really fruity by itself.

I wouldn't bother with the Irish moss on a hef.

OP didn't state whether or not this would be served mit hefe. Irish moss would be great for a kristall weizen, but I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense for a hefeweizen. Use it or don't based on how you want to serve this beer.

Many people report fermenting at the higher end of the recommended temp range will increase the banana flavored esters, but I don't have any meaningful personal experience. I do know the flavors you'll get are very strain, temperature, and mash dependent. You're not mashing (and the recipe looks fine otherwise), so look more into the other two variables.

I remember reading death's banana bread dunkel thread, and it seemed like under pitching and fermenting higher was what originally caused the banana flavor, if on accident, right?

I under pitched with outdated yeast (free from the HBS) and got amazing banana.

Back