Need info on my stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnCHy22

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I need some input...

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of stout, and due to unforseen financial problems I was unable to buy the nitro regulator,tank and stout tap to get it kegged. It has now been in the secondary fementer for 6 months and i was finally able to procure the necessary parts for my kegerator.
The issue I have is when I went into the celler to check the fermenter, I noticed that the vodka in the airlock had evaporated to the point where air was getting in to the carboy. I dont know how long it has been that way. The last time I added vodka was about two months ago.
I really dont want to invest the money into filling the nitro tank with beergas if the batch isnt going to be any good. Is there a way to check the potability with out cabonating? Is 6 months in the fermenter too long? Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Randy

open the fermenter up and give it a smell. if it smells ok take a sample with a sanitized thief and taste it. if it doesnt taste bad or smell bad then it will be good to go. the good thing is that nothing that can make you sick can live in alcohol.

I agree with wcarter1227. If it is bad (which I highly doubt) then just brew another stout.

Thank you for such a speedy reply. I did as you suggested and it smelled and tasted just fine. Hopefully it'll be great once carbed. Once again, thank you very much.

Thank you for such a speedy reply. I did as you suggested and it smelled and tasted just fine. Hopefully it'll be great once carbed. Once again, thank you very much.

since you have given it some time to bulk condition and also since it tasted and smelled fine you most likely will have a mighty fine stout on hand. Congrats:tank:

yeah, sounds like its just gonna end up being great, what recipe did you use?

Its called canyon cream stout. Its a partial mash kit from homebrewers outpost. I made their hef and it was pretty delicious, so I have high hopes for this one as well.

Back