Advice on using Plaato Keg Scales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry, this is a bit long and rambling, but I'm trying to record my experience so far, and see if anyone already using the scales has any advice, pointers, etc.

I recently picked up some of the Plaato Keg Scales for my five keg keezer. The headspace in my keezer is very tight, and I was afraid even the 1" height of the scales would be a problem. The solution is to switch my kegs from pin lock to ball lock, and then use disconnects I found that come out at 90 degrees instead of 45, keeping all the tubing much closer to the tops of the kegs. I'm swapping out the posts and disconnects as I put in a new keg. Right now I only have one scale in place, which I put in last week.

I really like the design of the scale, and since I have shorter, wider, pin lock kegs, the keg diameter is pretty much exactly the same as the scale. I tared the first scale I installed, and weighed the empty keg on it. The keg came in at 9.25 lb, which is very close to the 9.4 lb I got from a bathroom scale and have been using all along. The keg that I put on it is pretty much full, and weighed 51.5 lb, using the bathroom scale.

The keg fit in my keezer is tight, like all five kegs almost, but not quite, touch each other. I have a false floor in it, so all five kegs sit at compressor height (reason for the tight headspace). The first issue I can see will be getting the kegs in the perfect position - perhaps I can mark that somehow. With just kegs, I could always scoot them around to reposition them a little. I was able to do that with the one scale, but it will get harder as I add more scales. And you obviously can't slide the scales with their three rubber feet.

Anyway, I got the scale positioned and the keg sitting right on top of it. At that point I had not connecting any tubing yet. I checked the scale in the Plaato app, and it was showing something like 55 or 57 pounds, which seemed way off from what it should be. I had already entered the OG and FG, which gave me the calculated ABV, and I believe is used in calculating the beer weight. Anyway, it was saying I had something like 105% of beer in the keg, based on the weight is showed.

After messing with the app some more, I entered the known keg weight (51.5 lb), which changed the keg volume to 4.99 gallons and the keg 99% full. This gives me the starting values I expected, but is this really the way to set the keg weight? And will it continue to be accurate as we drink from it? The beer I just kegged is a stout, so it's carbing on a nitrogen mix right now. I haven't poured any beer from the keg as it would be wasted as a flat stout. It probably needs another week before I pour my first pint and see how the scale reacts.

The other item I noticed was the temperature in the app. After it had been in the keezer for a while, it kept showing something like 57 degrees Fahrenheit. That was obviously way too high, so I messed with the temperature offset on the debug page. That seems to have really messed up the temperature. Right now I've set the offset back to zero, and it says the keezer temperature is 24 degrees all the time.

My keezer is controlled with a Johnson temperature controller and is set to 38 degrees. The controller probe is in a thermowell, inside a 16oz bottle of water, so it has a slow response to temperature changes. The keg scale should obviously show a much wider temperature swing, as the keezer cycles on and off, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

The temperature issue isn't really a big deal for me as I really only care what the beer temperature is and not the air temperature in the keezer. But it still bugs me that this doesn't seem to be working. Much more important is the keg weight, and how accurately it measures how much beer is left.

I should also mention that I've installed one under my nitro tank. I had to guess at tank weight on that as I don't have an empty weight to base it on. I also don't know how full it is as it was filled almost two years ago. So for now I just entered data to show the tank was half full. That has dropped a little as the stout carbs, which it should. That scale shows a temperature of 79.25 degrees. It's just sitting on the floor in our basement, which is more in the 68 to 70 degree range right now.

So, what are your thoughts on this product? Did yours work correctly right out of the box? I really want to like it, especially after the money I've sank into it with the scales and new keg fittings, but right now I'm just not sure.

Thanks for your input!

Wow, that's not cheap! And, if you had to replace your kegs and fittings that moves into the really expensive range. Not that this helps you now, but there are options out there that work for around $20 per keg. Specifically, I use these on some of my kegs. Ball and Keg: Home Brew Keg Level Indicator

Wow, that's not cheap! And, if you had to replace your kegs and fittings that moves into the really expensive range. Not that this helps you now, but there are options out there that work for around $20 per keg. Specifically, I use these on some of my kegs. Ball and Keg: Home Brew Keg Level Indicator

That's a cool device, which I've never seen before. Unfortunately, it requires looking inside the keezer, which is a fair amount of work for me. I have dry-set tiles which have to be removed, then the entire top has to be removed. Also, as I mentioned, my kegs fit very close together, so something like this would be difficult, if not impossible, to see.

Right now I weigh my kegs to get their initial weight, track every pour in a book, and re-weigh them whenever I put a new keg in. It works, but I'm looking for a better solution, especially when we have parties.

Attachments

• Keezer.JPG
    Keezer.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • Kegs.JPG
    Kegs.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
They're certainly pricey, and one may expect more precision or at least a calibration method that works, for both weight and temp.

Could the cold vs. room temp environment be a factor in the reported weight (and temp) being that much off? Or the flatness of your raised keezer bottom?
How would you know the exact volume you put into the keg? Especially when doing closed or near closed transfers. You need a decent reference.

I guess you could use a reference weight as a means of calibration on a either a bathroom scale or a Plaato scale. Or some other scale you trust. A spare keg filled with an "exact volume of water at a certain temperature" could be your weight reference.

Could the cold vs. room temp environment be a factor in the reported weight (and temp) being that much off? Or the flatness of your raised keezer bottom?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the calculation uses both ABV and temperature to calculate the volume of beer in the keg, using current weight and empty keg weight. So yes, temperature could impact the calculation, but it should only be a volume calculation and not actual current weight of keg and beer.

How would you know the exact volume you put into the keg? Especially when doing closed or near closed transfers. You need a decent reference.
I have a spreadsheet (see image) that I enter which keg I'm using (they vary slightly in weight) for the empty weight, and the weight when filled, which provides volume. I then enter the number of 8, 12 and 16 ounce pours. The spreadsheet calculates current weight, and how many of each type of pour remains in the keg. If I re-weigh a keg at some point, I'll adjust to pours, if necessary, to return to current weight. I just use the weight of water; I suppose I could find an alcohol weight calculator to make it a little more accurate. When a keg is about empty, I'll fill a few 16 oz plastic bottles to finish it off. My current method is always accurate to within one bottle, which is good enough for me.

Attachments

• Kegs.JPG
    Kegs.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 8
Back