Need ideas for automating gas engine water pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miller4

Reaction score
This isn’t brewing related, but I thought maybe I’d do some collective brainstorming or that somebody would have a great easy solution. My basic end goal is this.
Have a gas powered water pump that will turn on using a timer.

I have found a small pump that has an electric start Pacer SE2ULE6CP/ES - 200 GPM 2-Inch Econo-Ag Electric Start Water Pump w/ Vanguard Engine
Now I’m wondering if anybody has any ideas on a timer to wire in that would start as well as stop the pump? I feel like it should be simple, but I’m not sure about how it would stop the engine from cranking after it started.
I searched for a while and found this product out of Australia that looks like it might fit what I’m trying to do, anybody know of something similar available in the US? 2 Wire Automatic Start Control
Just wanted to take a shot in the dark and see if anyone has some great ideas, Until then I’ll keep researching and brainstorming.

I looked at the manual and could not find any specifics for the electric start. Usually something like this is a temporary switch that activates a start motor.

If you add a relay in addition to the start switch, you can control the starter motor. You would use a 24 hour timer to activate the relay for say 10 to 20 seconds. Most 24 hour timers stay on for minutes or hours, so you need a second piece of equipment to make sure that starter is only one for a shorter amount of time.

Something like this (maybe),
https://www.amazon.com/GAEYAELE-Multifunction-Function-Choices-DC12V-240V/dp/B07CH7KJ39

I looked at the manual and could not find any specifics for the electric start. Usually something like this is a temporary switch that activates a start motor.

If you add a relay in addition to the start switch, you can control the starter motor. You would use a 24 hour timer to activate the relay for say 10 to 20 seconds. Most 24 hour timers stay on for minutes or hours, so you need a second piece of equipment to make sure that starter is only one for a shorter amount of time.

Something like this (maybe),
https://www.amazon.com/GAEYAELE-Multifunction-Function-Choices-DC12V-240V/dp/B07CH7KJ39
Wow thank you for the quick response! If I am understanding correctly. Wire a timer maybe something like this, JVR 12V Timer Switch Programmable Digital 12 Volt DC/AC/Solar Battery Powered - - Amazon.com (first thing to come up) between the battery and the ignition. And then wire a relay like what you linked to between the ignition and the actual start motor to make sure it would shut off after a set amount of time?

Wow thank you for the quick response! If I am understanding correctly. Wire a timer maybe something like this, JVR 12V Timer Switch Programmable Digital 12 Volt DC/AC/Solar Battery Powered - - Amazon.com (first thing to come up) between the battery and the ignition. And then wire a relay like what you linked to between the ignition and the actual start motor to make sure it would shut off after a set amount of time?

Depending on how that pump is wired (that's a very big IF), I would probably use the JRF to enable/disable the pump (so when the 24 hour turns off, then the pump does too), and use the GAEYAELE (what kind of name is that?) to actually activate/deactivate the starter motor for 10-15 seconds.

085187F1-B5F7-43AE-B426-A8DF97837AD8.png
Here is my very crude attempt at trying to plan out a system for turning on a gas pump via a timer. I’m putting it all together in my head and it makes sense, but once I start to plan it out it makes me question myself.

At this point having an irrigation system that will run on a timer and having to manually start the pump will work just fine. But I am now mentally invested in trying to figure out making the pump start on a timer.

Disclaimer, I am not an engineer or electrical diagram wizard, just trying to put down on paper what I’m thinking. Any tips, tricks, ideas, and insults are welcome. If anybody is actually interested and the attached diagram doesn’t make any sense I’d be happy to write out my thought process more.

I'm assuming the Honda uses a magneto, so It would be simpler to just ground the primary side of the ignition to stop the engine.
As for starting it...the obvious up-front problem is how to control the starter motor - specifically, how to know when the engine is running to stop energizing the starter. I propose using the generator output as a feedback signal..."How" is the next question, but certainly there'd be a relay with a 120 or 240vac coil involved :)

Cheers!

something this on the fuel line to shut it off?
good thinking, so far I’ve been just running a smaller pump off a 5 gallon can until it runs out of gas. Also thinking of getting a propane conversion kit for the next pump for ease of fueling, but haven’t made a full decision there.
I'm assuming the Honda uses a magneto, so It would be simpler to just ground the primary side of the ignition to stop the engine.
As for starting it...the obvious up-front problem is how to control the starter motor - specifically, how to know when the engine is running to stop energizing the starter. I propose using the generator output as a feedback signal..."How" is the next question, but certainly there'd be a relay with a 120 or 240vac coil involved :)

Cheers!
I think that is what I’m trying to do, probably not good at drawing it though. basically using the existing kill switch but adding a float in a reservoir that could also kill the engine, and a low pressure gauge that could kill the engine too. As for knowing when to stop the starter, your plan sounds more civilized than mine, which was a timer relay to the starter to run for a specified amount of time, 5s, 10s maybe, probably some trial and error? And if it doesn’t start then I guess it waits until the next visit to the pump.

Back