Need Help.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew_101

Reaction score
I was wonder if anybody has tried this kitAustin Homebrew Supply
Also which yeast do I need I have only tried the dry yeast in the past. Also do I need yeast fuel, ice pack,& the 1% alc. boost. Which yeast would you recommend. Would you leave in primary for 3 weeks then bottle or would you transfer to secondary thanks for any advice. I am new to brewing... i love it:ban:

no I have not but AHS is a good source for kits. Dry yeast will ferment as will liquid, if you buy the liquid yeast(which is more expensive, i would go with dry) you will need an Ice pack, the ABV booster is up to you I tried it once and it seemed to work, not necessary though. I would go 2-3weeks in primary then a week 1-2 week in secondary or just a month in the primary. then bottle, make sure to take gravity readings.

RDWHAHB

Stay clear of that alcohol boost! I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Add some more ME if you want to boost your ABV. Also, I add yeast fuel (or nutrient) to every batch I make. If you're opting for liquid yeast, then YES, get the ice pack. AHS kits are the money. They're the only kits I buy. I have not made the American Amber, but I have made the Cream Smoked Amber. Cheers.

Cream Smoked Amber, how did that turn out? What kind of smoked malt did you use?

And I complain because I live across town from AHS! I just hate riding in the city. Guess I should be thankful I don't have to get things shipped. :mug: Anyway, I do nothing but mini-mash anymore and have for several years. I never add anything like alc boost or yeast food but I do use White Labs liquid yeast. The two times I did use dry yeast I made up a starter. I throw in a Whirlfloc for brews that should be clear. Anything like wheats that are supposed to be cloudy or dark ales that are too dark to show haze don't even get the Whirlfloc. Cooled wort goes in the primary, yeast gets pitched, and the airlock is usually starting to bubble by the next morning. Five to seven days later it is usually ready to rack into the secondary. Another five to seven after that and I keg and force carbonate. It's not the only way to brew but it works for me and I've never had anybody turn down a mug. :)

I have a two-tap tower and AHS Creamy Smoked Amber has become so popular around here that one side seems to be permanently dedicated to it. The smoke flavor, which is delicate, comes from the same peated malt used in scottish ale. You can make the smokey flavor more noticable by increasing the peated malt by 1/4 oz. Be careful because smoke flavor can get overwhelming in a hurry if you increase beyond 1/4 oz. If you do come up with a meaty tasting ale just let it age for a couple of weeks. The smokey meat flavor decreases with time.

John

Cream Smoked Amber, how did that turn out? What kind of smoked malt did you use?

The kit came with peated, smoked malt. Very smooth. I didn't care for the malto-detrin, so I wouldn't use it again in this (or anything else). I wanted to try AHS's Double Choco Stout, but I'm really leery of malto-dextrin now.

That was one of the first kits I bought. I didn't think it tasted much like fat tire, but it was still very tasty. I've also ordered another kit with liquid yeast and the ice pack, but by the time the package arrived, the ice pack was warm and my yeast was dead; so I have never ordered the liquid yeast again...

That was one of the first kits I bought. I didn't think it tasted much like fat tire, but it was still very tasty. I've also ordered another kit with liquid yeast and the ice pack, but by the time the package arrived, the ice pack was warm and my yeast was dead; so I have never ordered the liquid yeast again...

what makes you think it was dead? Did you use it? I bet a big ass starter would get it going...

Back