Need help converting AG to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krumb

Reaction score
12 lbs. Maris Otter 2-row pale malt
1 lb. torrefied wheat
1/2 lb. chocolate malt
1/2 lb. roasted barley
1 lb. dark crystal malt (120°L)

OG: 1086 – 90
target TG: 1018 – 22

Imperial Stout...gonna add some coffee to it...do i steep the coffee or rack onto coffee in secondary?

Thanks!

The torrefied wheat is going to toss you a curve-ball... It needs to be mashed. So either do a mini-mash, eliminate it, or use a different recipe...

If you do a mini-mash (or partial mash) you're looking at

7# of Light DME
1# torrefied wheat
2# Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1# Caramel Malt 120L
7oz Chocolate Malt
7oz Roasted Barley

OG should be about 1.089

Use the BIAB partial mash method with this (read the sticky in the all grain/partial mash section)...

For the coffee addition, I wouldn't rack to a bright tank (second vessel, no secondary fermentation going on here) at all. Let it go 3-4 weeks on the yeast. For the coffee, you can add some brewed coffee at flame out, and then decide if you need more post fermentation or not. I wouldn't add more than 1/2 a pot of coffee at first. You can always add more to it, it's rather difficult to remove flavor additions that are too strong.

You could also brew up some coffee to use in your priming solution. I wouldn't boil it though, since that will make it turn nasty. Make your simple syrup for priming, then add some more brewed coffee to it as it's cooling down.

BTW, going with DME/LME is going to make this batch EXPENSIVE... Especially when compared with the cost of brewing it as all grain... If you can mash more grain, substitute .6# of DME per pound of grain you add... So, to reduce the DME to 6# (two 3# bags ~$30) you would need to use 3.66# of MO (call it 4#)...

Back