Need Cider Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravhawk2000

Reaction score
We started a batch of cider about three weeks ago. We used a recipe off of a website and it was basically just apple juice (no preservatives), corn sugar, and wine yeast. We moved it to the carboy this week and did a taste test and it taste nothing like cider....just apple-ish wine. Is it because of the yeast we used? Anyone have a recipe that has given great results??

Edworts apfelwein in my favorite.... I make it for the SWMBO, who is a huuuge strongbow fan. I usually use lalvin 1118 yeast, tho i seem to think the recipe calls for red star montrachet...I find its best after 2 or so months of aging, it probably keeps getting better, but i can't wait that long.

I made a kit once...it was alright too, but our favorite is still Ed's. (at least if you like a drrry strongbow type cider)

Does it taste boozy? It's pretty normal in the early stages after fermentation. Age it for a while and it'll be smoother and more flavorsome - what was your OG and FG?

The recipe I used did call for red start montrachet and that's what I used. Maybe it just hasn't sat long enough?

The og was 1.062 and when I moved it to the carboy it was .996 so about 9% alcohol at the moment. It does taste very boozy!

Perfectly normal - dry cider often tastes boozy or wine-like, without the fruitiness that we associate with apple juice.

You have a couple options. First take a look at www.makinghardcider.com for a description of how to backsweeten your cider. Read the whole site, it's a great tutorial for new cider makers.

Or you could let it age as is, mellowing or maturing over time. Read the threads on Apfelwein here for more info.

Cheers!

9% will hit you in the face. I wouldn't expect the boozey taste to go away completely. After all, your cider is very - boozy. hahah.

Ageing will definitely round it off though and it's pretty much standard play. You're looking at 3 months easily for a good cider!

There is a reason it tastes like apple wine... IT IS. Try no added sugar and ale yeast or cider yeast for less wine taste. If you have kegging equipment, then you can kill the yeast early and force carb it with your keg. Otherwise, welcome to dry cider or back-sweetening.

Back