Need advice for designing a rosé sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
I've been mulling this over ever since I had Crooked Stave's Petite Rosé sour last month.

Overall, plan is to co-pitch lacto and sacc. Previously I've done kettle sours and boiled after souring. Well, now that I have sour equipment and a sour line in the keezer (coming soon), I'm doing kettle souring and will likely just co-pitch now. I plan on likely using WY3711 for my sacc as I want this one pretty dry.

Issue 1: I've never co-pitched before. I've seen some advocate for pitching them at the same time. I've seen others pitch the lacto hot for a few days, then aerating and pitching sacc. I'm considering pitching the lacto around 90* or so, leaving it be for a few days, checking ph, then pitching sacc. Anything I am forgetting or should know before taking this route?

Issue 2: This is the part I am really wrestling with: fruiting. I'm considering raspberries. Problem is, I want subtle nuance. I've done raspberry beers before. But with those I'm usually shooting for a deep pinkish red hue and a big ass berry flavor and nose. With this beer, I just want a hint of redness (like the wine) and just a little fruit flavor. So I don't really know how to accomplish this. My usual fruit process is to use frozen fruit and rack onto it, age it until it's where I want it, crash, keg, carb. But I think if I approach this beer the same way, I'll get too much fruit.

Can anyone offer any sage wisdom? Thanks.

fruit in primary tends to loose flavor over a few months(3-4) aswell as color( especially when exposed to sun).I would say add the berries day one.Your bugs will love them. leave it by a window if you want it to lighten up.I am a fan of co pitching i would do 3711 and lacto day 1 but there are any number of ways to get the effect you are desiring.

fruit in primary tends to loose flavor over a few months(3-4) aswell as color( especially when exposed to sun).I would say add the berries day one.Your bugs will love them. leave it by a window if you want it to lighten up.I am a fan of co pitching i would do 3711 and lacto day 1 but there are any number of ways to get the effect you are desiring.

Hmmm that's a possibility. Hadn't thought of putting fruit in day one. Would it still carry some fruit flavor through to the end product you think?

Have you thought of hibiscus for color? Flavor goes perfect with a sour beer and gives off beautiful color. Here's my sour I cant remember if this was 6 or 9 oz of hibiscus.

C1A296E3-FDDA-4DA2-8FF6-D3535E878BBC.JPG

You can add the fruit to adjust color and flavor post primary fermentation. We made a barrel aged lambic style cherry beer last year and added 10 lbs of fresh sour cherries. We let the cherries sit for a month in a barrel and then bottled it. You may be surprised how subtle the fruit actually is. It takes a lot of fruit to really pull a strong flavor profile.

Have you thought of hibiscus for color? Flavor goes perfect with a sour beer and gives off beautiful color. Here's my sour I cant remember if this was 6 or 9 oz of hibiscus.

Yeah, I've considered hibiscus. But I don't want it that red. I want more of a rosé wine color.

You can add the fruit to adjust color and flavor post primary fermentation. We made a barrel aged lambic style cherry beer last year and added 10 lbs of fresh sour cherries. We let the cherries sit for a month in a barrel and then bottled it. You may be surprised how subtle the fruit actually is. It takes a lot of fruit to really pull a strong flavor profile.

Cherries is definitely a possibility. I just haven't worked with cherries before, so I don't really know what to expect, flavor wise...

Try using 1 oz of hibiscus and if need be add more to get the color your looking for.

Latest posts

Back