Need a proven recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Hey I like to use the natural 1 gal jugs of AJ from natural food store like Henry's or Sprouts and the like.

Can anyone put up a recipe that finishes sweet.

Maybe some great suggestions for additions and flavors.

What yeast just works the best.

I also have refrigeration so temp control is great.

Thx all for the help.

~RDWHAHB~

Hey i read the article top to bottom. They talk a lot about 1 gal batches.

How do I up that to 5 gal batches?

Is it 2lbs of brown sugar?

Going to make this soon and I want it to be great the first time lol. Any and all help is appreciated.

~RDWHAHB~

Read the stickies - One guy outlines his process step by step in incredible detail. There are literally hundreds of posts with discussion on how to do it.

Hey i read the article top to bottom. They talk a lot about 1 gal batches.

How do I up that to 5 gal batches?

Is it 2lbs of brown sugar?

Going to make this soon and I want it to be great the first time lol. Any and all help is appreciated.

~RDWHAHB~

I don't like fermented brown sugar, but others do. If you love it, it's ok to add it.

To scale up, just multiply by the batch size. So, to go to 5 gallons, multiply by 5.

Read the stickies - One guy outlines his process step by step in incredible detail. There are literally hundreds of posts with discussion on how to do it.

Do you happen have a link or who started the thread. The article above was an amazing read. But they only talk about 1 gal batches. I will definitely look into scaling it up to a 5 gal batch.

~RDWHAHB~

I don't like fermented brown sugar, but others do. If you love it, it's ok to add it.

To scale up, just multiply by the batch size. So, to go to 5 gallons, multiply by 5.

Hey Yooper, so what do you use for ciders, if you make ciders. I don't mind brown sugar because I've used it before. But after reading the article I'm gonna use the Xilytol to back sweeten. Gonna try to carb too. Suggestions.

~RDWHAHB~

Hey Yooper, so what do you use for ciders, if you make ciders. I don't mind brown sugar because I've used it before. But after reading the article I'm gonna use the Xilytol to back sweeten. Gonna try to carb too. Suggestions.

~RDWHAHB~

Ciders, for me, are simple.

My favorite:

cider (fresh pressed)
S04 ale yeast

That's it.

Really?!? Isn't it dry and harsh. I tried that once and it was hard to drink. I'm leaning towards the AO, Redds, Hornsby styles and seeing how close I can get. Maybe SWMBO will like it too.

~RDWHAHB~

What is your level of brewing/fermenting skill? Cider is simple but not easy.

Really?!? Isn't it dry and harsh. I tried that once and it was hard to drink. I'm leaning towards the AO, Redds, Hornsby styles and seeing how close I can get. Maybe SWMBO will like it too.

~RDWHAHB~

No, it's quite good. But I don't have a sweet tooth at all, and would dislike anything like soda, or Redds' which is a fake apple flavored beer, and not at all cider.

Cider is made many different ways- sweet, still, carbonated, dry, etc. I have a cider right now that is lightly carbed, made with great cider I pressed last year and S04 yeast. It finished at 1.004, so it's tart and dry, like biting into a crisp apple. I generally don't like carbed ciders, but that one is good.

I don't drink soda, or even sweetened drinks like lemonade, as I just have an aversion to sweet things. So for me, this isn't too dry at all- it's more of a semi sec, and much sweeter than my wines which are generally .990-.992.

No, it's quite good. But I don't have a sweet tooth at all, and would dislike anything like soda, or Redds' which is a fake apple flavored beer, and not at all cider.

Cider is made many different ways- sweet, still, carbonated, dry, etc. I have a cider right now that is lightly carbed, made with great cider I pressed last year and S04 yeast. It finished at 1.004, so it's tart and dry, like biting into a crisp apple. I generally don't like carbed ciders, but that one is good.

I don't drink soda, or even sweetened drinks like lemonade, as I just have an aversion to sweet things. So for me, this isn't too dry at all- it's more of a semi sec, and much sweeter than my wines which are generally .990-.992.

Well ur right on the Redds. It's an apple ale. Forgot about that.

I may have to adjust my thinking on this and find a happy medium for my taste buds.

I definitely want a fine carb so maybe 3/4 cup to prime the bottles.

Gonna have to try a lil back sweetening to see if I like it. This will be interesting to see how it turns out. Looking forward to it.

~RDWHAHB~

Back