Natural yeast nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeP

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to start a sugar, and water mixture with cut up apples using ec1118 for my yeast. I was wonder if the cut up apples would be sufficient nutrient for the yeast to properly ferment? It's only going to be a gallon just as a test to see if I can add flavoring to it so I really just need it to have enough nutrient to finish dry. Here's the recipe

3 cups of sugar
2 finely cut apples
topped with water

This is just a recipe I read about, it seems a little simple if you ask me but I figured I would find out from you more experienced guys and girls before I actually took the time to make it:mug:

Yeah I know, I'm pretty new to brewing and didn't realize that I would need some sort of nutrient to keep things going, my whole understanding was that all you needed is sugar and water to produce an alcoholic beverage. I now know how wrong that was

If you plan on doing more experiments I would just get some FermAid K nutrient.

Hey, I just went to ritebrew.com and bought a couple more packets of ec1118, and 1 ounce pack of fermaid k is this the type of yest nutrient you were talking about? And about how much should I put into each gallon

I feel as I got a pretty good deal 6 packets of 5 gram yeast, and a pack of fermaid k shipped to my door for less than $10.00 bucks, well that's less than what I would pay in gas to go to the LBS anyways but thanks for whatever recommendation you have!

I have been working on this too. I have easy access to powdered yeast nutrient but I wanted to see what household/food items I could add to help yeast convert basic table sugar (also experimenting!). So far I have learned that adding some old yeast (brewers yeast, bread yeast, any yeast) to your boil can give your yeast extra food (as they are cannabalistic). Also, adding fruit, like your apple slices, or raisins can help. I did an experiment using white table sugar and champagne yeast in two different fermenters, but in one of them I added about 5-8 bananas. The banana wine took off (but tasted nasty for some reason!) while the sugar solution just stagnated. It continues to sloooowly bubble away on top of my fridge. I have subsequently added some raisins to see if it would make a difference.

Back