Name Your Favorite Overhopped IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seanhagerty said:
It has to be a toss up between hop slam and Double arrogant bastard

Really? I found the Double Bastard to be a little on the malty side. Green Flash West Coast IPA. Tastes like christmas trees in a bottle. Yum.

I forgot to mention, Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA is ridiculous. I would definatly call it over-hopped. I liked it, but it was like drinking Grapefruit & Vodka.

RickWG said:
Green Flash West Coast IPA. Tastes like christmas trees in a bottle. Yum.

I dig Green Flash but I get more Simcoe then piney....try Founders Centennial IPA, that's all sorts of pine.:ban:

vav said:
... Three Floyds Dreadnaught Imperial IPA is ridiculous...
rdwj said:
Two Brothers has a beer called Hop Juice...
Brewsmith said:
... Moylan's Hopsickle.

I'll second all three of these. They may not be available where you are, but definitely seek them out. I'd add Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye to the list.

Just tried Bell's Hopslam on Sunday for the football games. It makes standard IPAs taste like BMC...now I know where all the hops are going! Really though, at 10% ABV, it is truly huge in all aspects. Apparently it's made with honey-and if anything, this boosts the ABV but keeps it hidden. It is sweet, fruity, bitter, and warming all at the same time. We were all just floored by this beer, my buddy even had to ask if we were supposed to add water to it (reminded me of the orgins of the IPA). I left the last one in my buddy's fridge, since he's kind of new to 'good' beers...last night I had a nightmare that I was cleaning up after a party and found an opened bottle of this stuff sitting around with only a few ounces missing. If that's not a testament to this stuff's severity-I don't know what is!

My fav IPA is Two Hearted but I dont think it over hopped, But Michigan Brew Companys High Seas IPA is a good Hoppy IPA with a 7.0 ABV kick

RICLARK said:
My fav IPA is Two Hearted but I dont think it over hopped, But Michigan Brew Companys High Seas IPA is a good Hoppy IPA with a 7.0 ABV kick

The place that is the 'from work' hangout has Bells 2 Hearted 33 oz. drafts for 6 bucks and I have grown quite fond of it. Prefer the MBC IPA, but the Bell's is a worthy choice. BTW, the Bells is 7%, too.

Ya gotta love a 2 pint draft....

BrewDey said:
Just tried Bell's Hopslam on Sunday for the football games. It makes standard IPAs taste like BMC...now I know where all the hops are going! Really though, at 10% ABV, it is truly huge in all aspects. Apparently it's made with honey-and if anything, this boosts the ABV but keeps it hidden. It is sweet, fruity, bitter, and warming all at the same time. We were all just floored by this beer, my buddy even had to ask if we were supposed to add water to it (reminded me of the orgins of the IPA). I left the last one in my buddy's fridge, since he's kind of new to 'good' beers...last night I had a nightmare that I was cleaning up after a party and found an opened bottle of this stuff sitting around with only a few ounces missing. If that's not a testament to this stuff's severity-I don't know what is!

We just had this for the first time over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I actually wasn't over powered by the hops the way I was expecting, but I loved the combination of the sweetness and the 10% without the overdone alcohol taste.

BrewBrain said:
And this was the second one that came to my mind. It has to be tried. That said, for over the top hops, it won't touch the Hopsickle.

Forgot about that one. Cheese and I had it at Lunar Brewing awhile back and it does have a real hop wallop. So much so that we gently peeled the label off the bottle so we would remember the name!

WOW! SO many options!

Correct me if I am wrong (of course you will!) but 10 years ago, you couldn't FIND hops in beer in USA. I left Minnesota, headed for Australia in 1998, and while there were quite a few GREAT beers on the market, the American palate had not yet accepted STRONG hop flavours and aromas. I remember drinking a bottle of St Pauli Girl and being astounded by the fantastic flavours and aromas! I'm not sure when, how or why the USA palate changed to super bitter, but I suppose it's the same reason that HOT chilies weren't the popular 10-15 years ago, and now they are everywhere and most of us like them the hotter the better! Maybe it's just a case of chasing those extreme flavours.

Now keeping that in mind, the Aussie palate doesn't care much for hops either. It's starting to mature, but it's still not very easy to find a domestic with much bitterness or hop aroma. Some of the micro breweries are very nice, but no one dreams of making an over hopped beer here... It just wouldn't sell.

So, with that off my chest, I can say that I have never had the opportunity to taste any of these SUPER HOPPED beers that you are raving about. My one and only experience with a beer that I thought was too bitter and too strong, (keeping my uneducated tastebuds in mind) is one sent to me from a mate in Texas about 3 years ago.

http://www.averybrewing.com/BigBeers/docs/salvation

How does this compare to the brews you guys are talking about?

It blew me away!

I couldn't understand how anyone could drink it!

I only wish I had another bottle, so I could try it again now that I am making stronger hopped beers myself.

PeteOz77 said:
WOW! SO many options!

Correct me if I am wrong (of course you will!) but 10 years ago, you couldn't FIND hops in beer in USA. I left Minnesota, headed for Australia in 1998, and while there were quite a few GREAT beers on the market, the American palate had not yet accepted STRONG hop flavours and aromas. I remember drinking a bottle of St Pauli Girl and being astounded by the fantastic flavours and aromas! I'm not sure when, how or why the USA palate changed to super bitter, but I suppose it's the same reason that HOT chilies weren't the popular 10-15 years ago, and now they are everywhere and most of us like them the hotter the better! Maybe it's just a case of chasing those extreme flavours.

Now keeping that in mind, the Aussie palate doesn't care much for hops either. It's starting to mature, but it's still not very easy to find a domestic with much bitterness or hop aroma. Some of the micro breweries are very nice, but no one dreams of making an over hopped beer here... It just wouldn't sell.

So, with that off my chest, I can say that I have never had the opportunity to taste any of these SUPER HOPPED beers that you are raving about. My one and only experience with a beer that I thought was too bitter and too strong, (keeping my uneducated tastebuds in mind) is one sent to me from a mate in Texas about 3 years ago.

http://www.averybrewing.com/BigBeers/docs/salvation

How does this compare to the brews you guys are talking about?

It blew me away!

I couldn't understand how anyone could drink it!

I only wish I had another bottle, so I could try it again now that I am making stronger hopped beers myself.

Are you sure it was the hops you were tasting that beer is only 25 IBU?

Well, it WAS 3 years ago, and I realise 25 IBU isn't that much, but this beer definitely assaulted my senses... I found it difficult to drink. Like I said, I wish I had one to try again ;)

so what is the IBU rating on some of these beers being mentioned?

All the IPA's from Russian River are heavily hopped
Pliny the Elder, Pliny the Younger, Blind Pig and Russian River IPA.

I also really like Moylan's Hopsicle, Boundary Bay Imperial IPA, Big Time Decade IPA, Silver City Whoop Pass IPA, Ninkasi Tricerahops Double IPA, to name a few.

WOP31 said:
You all are WAY off :D

You need to find Dark Horse Brewing Co. Crooked Tree IPA and Double Crooked Tree IPA.

By far the best IPA & DIPA I have ever had. Story behind the Double is the head brewer doubled everything in the batch but the amount of water. Talk about slam you in the face with hops.

Cheers

I've had the Dark Horse IPA and to me it was like drinking hop oils with no malt or water added. It was to much for my delicate taste buds!!

Bell's two hearted ale is just a damn good beer, not over hopped.

Linc

I was going to put my 2 cents in with Dogfish 90 min. I have actually never treid 120... cant find it. But you know....It realy depends. I never was much of a hop head before. Started drinking 60 and man it was good. Few months went by and... eh.... ah.... there is 90 min... FINALLY FOUND IT.... wow it was good.... now... eh..... seems you get used to the stuff quickly and need something more you know what I mean?

Origianlly posted by Beer Snob
seems you get used to the stuff quickly and need something more you know what I mean?

That's called *****in Threshold Shift
lts2.jpeg

Henry Hill said:
The place that is the 'from work' hangout has Bells 2 Hearted 33 oz. drafts for 6 bucks and I have grown quite fond of it. Prefer the MBC IPA, but the Bell's is a worthy choice. BTW, the Bells is 7%, too.

Ya gotta love a 2 pint draft....

Where is the 33 oz Draft? I must find it! I knew Two hearted was 7 % I was just trying to describe the beer to people who never heard of it, I think it is quite a bit more hoppy then 2 hearted.

Russian River doesn't bottle Pliny. It's available in California, PA and Washington DC.

Oh yeah, and Seattle in March! :rockin:

RICLARK said:
Where is the 33 oz Draft? I must find it! I knew Two hearted was 7 % I was just trying to describe the beer to people who never heard of it, I think it is quite a bit more hoppy then 2 hearted.

Leo's Lodge on E. Jolly. I don't own it. Nice place, though.:D

And yeah, the MBC IPA is....more. Quite a bit more.

Three Floyds Dreadnaught IIPA is amazing as is their Broodoo. I am a huge fan of Lagunitas Hopstoopid unfortunatley it isn't distributed here in northwest Indiana, but it is a mind blowingly great smelling/tasting beer ( I would kill for it since I can't find anywhere to buy it around here). I don't have a problem with DFH 90 minute but I think think 60 minute is better (way better), how is that for backasswards. Oh and you can't go wrong with Ruination or Goose Island Imperial IPA (though it's pricey).

Back