Nalgene bottles as growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In recent years, studies have suggested that polycarbonate plastics such as the ones Nalgene used may leach endocrine disruptors.[5] Nalgene denies that the quantity leached from their products posed a significant threat to health.[5] Among the secreted chemicals, Bisphenol A (BPA) is a concern as it binds to estrogen receptors, thus altering gene expression.[6][7][8] Other research has found that fixatives in polycarbonate plastics can cause chromosomal error in cell division called aneuploidy. Nalgene claims these chemicals are only potentially released from Nalgene products when used at temperatures outside of the designed range.

stolen from wiki.

But seriously i think anything these days CAN cause harm if used incorrectly.
I would stick to metal or glass not sure if alcohol will "leech" anything

I think the more important issue, as far as beer goes, is that the bottles are not designed to contain pressure. I also question their impermeability to oxygen.

There are several growlers that I have used, According to me many Nalgene bottles and other hard plastic sport water bottles are made of polycarbonate.

I have used the 36oz stainless bottle from RTIC with good success. My parents use the half gallon and gallon for getting beer from a local brewpub on the weekends.

Latest posts

Back