N00bie in Colorado Springs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tumbleweed14

Reaction score
Hey, just got my equipment and will start brewing this weekend. Any advice for a first time brew? I plan on bottle conditioning.

Clean everything really well. After you get it into carboys, leave it alone for a week or so, don't prod, be patient. What are you planning on making?

Hey Tumbleweed, welcome to the boards. There are a few of us from Colorado here. Where are you buying your supplies? For your first brew, keep a log of everything you do, you will learn alot from your first brew. :mug: Good luck!

A few things about Pilsners before you set your heart on it:
1) Traditionally they are lagers, so unless you are all set up for that you would have to use an ale yeast, which people do, but not exactly the same
2) Most of the time it is recommended to try to make a darker beer for the first time around. The darker a beer is, the more it will mask any mistake you may make. Pilsners are pretty much the clearest beer there, so little errors show up big time and are very hard to master.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to Old West Homebrew Supply on saturday to get ingredients and an air lock. I will keep the advice on the darker brews in mind and keep a good log.

Welcome! Two of my best friends are in the Springs, what a great place to make and drink homebrew...

Man, I wish I was in CS right now drinking an IPA and hanging in garden of the gods.

Welcome!

The people at the Old West are very good people. I love their little store, and they have or can get nearly everything you need....and the cigar shop don't hurt nutten either! :D

We'll keep our eyes open for your here on the board.

Oh...and don't be afraid of an Ale / Pils! They turn out ok. Just when you are ready to bottle your #1 batch, get ready....You'll want to start #2 ASAP. It's all part of filling the pipeline.

Welcome! Big fan of your town. I would highly recommend starting off with an ale. Lagers aren't much more complex in theory than ales, but are more complex in carrying out and ending up with a great beer. I wouldn't want you to be disappointed/discouraged on your first try. Good luck!:mug:

Welcome to HBT!

Good luck on batch #1, and feel free to ask questions. My advice -- leave the beer in the fermenter at least twice as long as your book / instructions say to. Lots of beginners transfer beer to a secondary way too early. Two weeks to a month in primary is not in any way going to hurt your beer. Also, resist the urge to peek in on it, and don't even think about taking a hydrometer reading for ten days. Patience will be rewarded.

Now go get brewin' Welcome to the fold.

So far so good.
Went with a Belgian Pale Ale, brewday went well and everything seems to be going good. Now..............patience.:cool:

Back