My Weldless Build Using Strut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still tightening it up but this is what I have with bg14 . I've got to add washers and nuts but it seams the burner holes are metric type 6 threads ??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

How low are your burners, they need to be about 4" from the bottom of your kettle, if not prepare for the longest brew day of your life, not to mention using a lot of gas.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've been reading up a good bit and saw that 2-3" seems to be the sweet spot for the BG14 burners. Any higher and you choke the flame, any lower and you start losing heat.

As for mounts I am sending some of these fittings in the picture below to one of the guys who bought a stand from me and he's going to mount his BG14's with them. I think they'll work great as the slotted side can attach to the underside of the strut, and the fixed side will set the height of the burner at a little over 2" (from burner to kettle) on a standard 1.625" square strut channel. During installation if the strut nuts are kept loose the fittings can be slid in or out within the slot, making it easy to get the burner centered. Should be pretty adjustable.

bg14 mount fitting.jpg

Cool, just wanted to keep someone from making the same mistake as I did. My burners are about 3.5" from the bottom of my kettle. I am using kegs, which while are cheaper don't offer good heat distribution as a triclad bottomed kettle, but they work.

I'm operating off of low pressure LP due to automation, this also cuts down on BTU output. I've considered running a split high and low pressure system but for now all is working well. If you are operating on low pressure LP or Nat gas be prepaid for lower BTU output then you would with the same burner operating on high pressure LP.

As soon as I start adding wort to the BG I light the BK burner, keeping it low until I have about a gallon in the BK, using this technique I can get 12 gallons of 160 degree liquid to a good boil within 30 minutes. This past weekend I brewed a 10 gallon stout, 12.5 pre boil volume, in 5.5 hours,this was from filling the HLT with 50 degree water to cleaned up yeast pitched, fermenters locked down. I must say I do cheat by heating strike water up in the BK, while the HLT is getting up to temp.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I've had similar experiences with Low Pressure - works well but BTUs are considerably lower even when really focused on optimizing it. I wrote up my automated strut based HLT build here which includes info on stand, gas and electronics build:

http://hommel.weebly.com/1/post/2014/02/automated-hlt.html

Any info getting more BTUs out of low pressure propane would be great.

I may change my BK to high pressure if it's not enough. I have the regulator to accomplish it, just need to move the propane tank to that regulator or have a second tank, which I need anyway. Time will tell. Welding up my stand this weekend, then plumb it and run a test batch through

I placed an order with strutchannelfittings yesterday and received a call with a couple of questions. During the discussion he mentioned that they're currently putting together a dedicated brewstand section for the website - expected to go online in late May.

We also discussed using a non-galvanized top layer, and he suggested aluminum (which they carry at the same cost as galvanized) as a cheaper alternative to stainless. Has anyone tried this?

I placed an order with strutchannelfittings yesterday and received a call with a couple of questions. During the discussion he mentioned that they're currently putting together a dedicated brewstand section for the website - expected to go online in late May.

We also discussed using a non-galvanized top layer, and he suggested aluminum (which they carry at the same cost as galvanized) as a cheaper alternative to stainless. Has anyone tried this?

Wow - Aluminum. Nice. I did stainless. That would probably have saved me some serious $$$. Tat and the weight savings would be great.

My only concern is how it will hold up long-term considering the heat and weight during large boils.

Here is the burn off on mine with all galvanized. I really don't think it is that bad, is not a perfect look but with a little sandpaper it blends right in. The key is to burn it off really good without breathing the fumes then start using your stand. you don't want to breathe that nasty gas. Making a 10 gallon batch of Centennial blonde right now.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394843119.391551.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394843155.280752.jpg

And since I am headed to Belgium next week, I am treating myself to a 14-month-old Orval. Those are my centennial additions.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394843263.511655.jpg

he mentioned that they're currently putting together a dedicated brewstand section for the website - expected to go online in late May.

I Was going to order using my tax refund..but I think I may wait.
Looking forward to see a page just for brewstands.

My strut order arrived on Monday (at least most of it, and the missing pieces are being sent post haste). A couple of observations:

- The cuts aren't perfectly square, so pieces don't sit perfectly flush to each other, so you need to allow a little room for slop (up to 1/8") in your design.

- I was surprised that the grooves in the nuts (THK-31's) weren't a better fit to the lip of the strut J. They kind of fit, but I'd expected them to lock into place. They do seem to hold things good and tight though.

Lots of fun building my prototype. The plan was to use 3-hole 45-degree angle straps (THK-185's, though they sent the 4-hole THK-190-45's instead) on two side-struts to hold a Blichmann burner and it seems to work well, though I've come across a number of places where I'll want to tweak the design a bit.

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

btbnl, if you had made your opening just a little smaller (like 15.5"), you could've used a standard "L" fitting, taken the feet off the Blichmann burner, and screwed right into the boss' on the burner. Pic attached.

bg14mount.jpg

My strut order arrived on Monday (at least most of it, and the missing pieces are being sent post haste). A couple of observations:

- The cuts aren't perfectly square, so pieces don't sit perfectly flush to each other, so you need to allow a little room for slop (up to 1/8") in your design.

- I was surprised that the grooves in the nuts (THK-31's) weren't a better fit to the lip of the strut J. They kind of fit, but I'd expected them to lock into place. They do seem to hold things good and tight though.

Lots of fun building my prototype. The plan was to use 3-hole 45-degree angle straps (THK-185's, though they sent the 4-hole THK-190-45's instead) on two side-struts to hold a Blichmann burner and it seems to work well, though I've come across a number of places where I'll want to tweak the design a bit.

Is that powder coated strut?
Where did you order your strut from?

gifty74 - doesn't that leave the burner a little low? looks like the kettle sits ~2" from the top of the screen, compared with ~1" on the legs.

jrubin - yes, powder-coated from strutchannelfittings.com; I'm actually now toying with going all-aluminum for the full-scale version.

Nice! Im just getting into all grain and was going to try and build my own mish mosh setup with a King Kooker and a turkey fryer and put that all on a wood platform but them i saw these strut builds. Much cleaner looking and the bayou burners but out a lot more heat and are slightly cheaper than the stand alone version. Plus it would be clean nice looking and sturdy to spend a few more bucks and not have my sh*t fall apart haha.

Just an FYI the stands are now for sale on strutchannelfittings.com are live, limited to 200 units right now, 349.00.

Just checked it out. They must have realized that brewers were putting in hundreds of orders. Somebody at that outfit is thinking outside the box.

IMHO, I'd sooner order from strutstands. Same price, build appears to be more substantial, comes with wheels, he's added burner connection options, and I gotta believe he'll deliver before the end of May!

Still, it's nice to see this kind of thinking from a vendor.

Just checked it out. They must have realized that brewers were putting in hundreds of orders. Somebody at that outfit is thinking outside the box.

IMHO, I'd sooner order from strutstands. Same price, build appears to be more substantial, comes with wheels, he's added burner connection options, and I gotta believe he'll deliver before the end of May!

Still, it's nice to see this kind of thinking from a vendor.

Yeah, I'm still going the DIY route I think. I can probably save 100 bucks doing so, and put that money towards a second pump.
but yeah it's great that there are now more, and cheaper options than dropping a ton of money on a More Beer stand, or a Top Tier...

Yeah, no doubt that would be nice with SS on the top. However, if you see a stand done in SS compared to a galvanized one, after a year of brewing, they do not look all that different. Spills scorch, finishes discolor, pitting, etc. The SS looks pretty for a little while, then it's gone. I still would offer this as an option if someone wanted it. Just whenever I'm asked I warn against the value for the money. Galvanized is the way in that regard. I have been working with these guys since I started selling my stands and they have told me on several occasions they were amazed at home many leads were coming direct from this thread on HBT. They have been great to me. They mentioned they'd like to get into it someday, so that's cool. Better for the consumer! I'll prob have to do some price adjusting, but will eventually just kill it off as a little (very small) side gig. Not worth the work to cut, prepare for ship, etc. My burner mounts should be a sweet option for those buying. I'll have some pics up this weekend.

Yeah, no doubt that would be nice with SS on the top. However, if you see a stand done in SS compared to a galvanized one, after a year of brewing, they do not look all that different. Spills scorch, finishes discolor, pitting, etc. The SS looks pretty for a little while, then it's gone. I still would offer this as an option if someone wanted it. Just whenever I'm asked I warn against the value for the money. Galvanized is the way in that regard. I have been working with these guys since I started selling my stands and they have told me on several occasions they were amazed at home many leads were coming direct from this thread on HBT. They have been great to me. They mentioned they'd like to get into it someday, so that's cool. Better for the consumer! I'll prob have to do some price adjusting, but will eventually just kill it off as a little (very small) side gig. Not worth the work to cut, prepare for ship, etc. My burner mounts should be a sweet option for those buying. I'll have some pics up this weekend.

What's the prognosis on the longevity of powder coat? Those powder coated rigs look the business IMHO, and no zinc poisoning if it burns off :)

(not that I'm that worried about zinc poisoning, since one should always burn off that galvanization in a well ventilated area).

plus:
the top level is stainless.

minus:
no wheels
only two spots for burners/kettles (i need to put 3 kettles on there)

My thoughts exactly.. I don't use a third burner but would like a spot for my cooler. Also a kit with just the fittings would be nice. I can get strut threw the plumbing supply houses for a fair price.

I do. You can check out the base stand designs at www.strutstands.com. Then if you want something sized a bit different, or threaded holes to mount a pump, or whatever else, email me at [email protected] and we'll figure something out for you. I just got 4 orders this week!

Going to be getting an order from me within the next two months...the SWMBO has decided to pay for it, something about me and DIY project scares her..

My propane lines

So I got some 3/8 brake line and some 3/8 copper line all bent and in place I've tested for leaks and everything is good just got to figure out the optimal flame for the bg14s.

Sorry for the sideways pics , but the black hose is the 10 feet hose for the regulator

1395874676678.jpg

1395874694368.jpg

Thanks , I still need to order 2 dip tubes for my keggle and my pot on top for gravity draining. It's pretty tall with my 20 gal pot on top but I wanted to be able to drain from the keggle into a fermenter, will post more pics when I break it in , still thinking of a name lol.

The correct angle brackets arrived (more excellent customer service to rectify their mistake) and I got to play with the design a bit more. Here's the current prototype, to be tried out this weekend and - assuming all goes well - scaled up to 3 stations, all-aluminum.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396055479.986232.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396055551.860471.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396055587.063976.jpg

Thanks for the pointer on the casters, gifty74.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That worked very well. The top layer of strut didn't get that hot so nothing burned off, and with the top of the Blichmann legs clear of the stand I could still use the adjustable retainers to stop the pot shifting. The only thing I might change is the leg height, since shifting the burner up moved the keggle a few inches higher than originally planned.

The final version will also have the correct angle brackets on the top since the 233's seems to be available again now, but the existing ones that overshoot the top can be reused on the bottom of the full stand.

First looking at the newly offered GP LLC brewstand I agreed with a few other posters about the lack of the 3rd burner. But upon reading the the description, it appears that they provide 14 feet of SS that is cut to the length you determine and 23 feet of the powdercoated strut cut to your length. Without measuring, I would strongly assume one could get a single tier out of that stock. Rather tempting with the SS top.

First looking at the newly offered GP LLC brewstand I agreed with a few other posters about the lack of the 3rd burner. But upon reading the the description, it appears that they provide 14 feet of SS that is cut to the length you determine and 23 feet of the powdercoated strut cut to your length. Without measuring, I would strongly assume one could get a single tier out of that stock. Rather tempting with the SS top.

It's a great idea. I like what they did, If they get enough feedback, maybe they'll offer a 3 burner system at some point.

I placed an order for my build out yesterday and included a note that I had feedback on the brew stand. They immediately phoned back and were incredibly receptive to suggestions for improvements. After a 5 minute conversation I was told they would (i) increase the amount of strut in the package better to accommodate 3 stations, for example going to 17 feet of stainless (enough for 2 x 5' sides and 6 x 14" cross pieces) and (ii) add casters as an option. I was really impressed at how open they were to tweaking the package to make it more useful to the brewing community.

Thats great they were so responsive. Seems to be a great company to buy from. My point was that given the number of feet they provide and the fact that the buyer determines the cut list, one could make a three burner single tier with what they provide.

Oh dang! They changed it to a 3 burner set up. Good for them. That was quick. ha.

Latest posts

Back