My Rye Wine Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsandjorts

Reaction score
Hey Everyone just wanted to get a new thread going about rye wines to see if theres any more info since not many exist and haven't been posted in for years.

So two weeks ago I brewed a Rye Wine. I've been wanting to do one since I started brewing and have found very little info or recipes.

Here is my recipe:
40% American Rye malt
14% Light Munich
14% Pilsen
10% Golden Promise
4% Special B
8% Honey
10% Rice Hulls

Fermented with Irish ale yeast

I used Chinook and Fuggles to around 50 IBU, split between bittering and flavor.
Target OG of 1.095 (Hit 1.088)
Target FG of 1.026 (Hit 1.020)
Mash Temp of 158 F

My mash went fairly smoothly. It was sticky and viscous but nothing that caused too many problems, and that was with out any rests. In the future I hope to try a rest to see how it works.

I didn't quite hit my OG due to collecting too much wort and not boiling quite long enough. It had a fairly quick and explosive fermentation.

After two weeks, this weekend, I racked it to a secondary where it should sit for months before bottling. It smells great, very spicy a good kick of chinook. very intense. The taste on the other hand is very powerful. It is full of spicy and almost astringent rye flavors. Also some pine and a good kick of bitterness. I am hoping to age it for months to hope the flavors mellow out and start to agree better. Otherwise I may consider aging it for a time on something (not sure what yet to try and balance flavors.)

Thoughts? Questions? Experiences?

I like the idea! I may make this to fill up my 3 gallon keg when the 3 gallon batch of wheatwine I just brewed is gone. :fro:

You may consider cutting down to one or two of pils, Munich and golden. With all the rye you can't tell the difference. Just use portions to balance and ease the mashing process. And be ready to wait. It was intense when I tried it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back