My rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That is one amazing rig! Very impressive. I second the sunglasses - you're going to need them when you get those keggles out in the sun

wow. inspiration. hopefully I'll get my argon bottle today so I can make better welds. That console is beautiful, btw, thanks for posting.

Could you give the measurements for that stand? I would love to make something just like it.. I have been looking for a good 2 tier plan..

thanks!

I hope this helps if not let me know...the length is 66in height 37in including the wheels the width is 20in the top tier is 46in long and the bottom tier is 20in long the drop from the top teir to the boil teir is 25in.

Now if I were to build it again I would make it about 6in longer and have the top burner openings 20x20 thet would make it much easier to make the kettel supports. The boil kettel area is 20x20 it would also give it a bit more of an air gap and keep the frame alittle cooler.

I am also going to build some heat sheilds in the frame just below the gauges.

Pat.

Do you have a personal website where some of your other hotrod work is showcased? Those are some enviable fabrication skills. My welding ability is pretty good in mild steel but I have only about an hour's time on a TIG and it shows.

Nice clean design. I like the way it seems to borrow the best of many designs.

Have you considered battery powered electronic ignition for the burners? You could hide it completely inside the frame rails, leaving only a small ignitor button exposed.

Do you have a personal website where some of your other hotrod work is showcased? Those are some enviable fabrication skills. My welding ability is pretty good in mild steel but I have only about an hour's time on a TIG and it shows.

Nice clean design. I like the way it seems to borrow the best of many designs.

Have you considered battery powered electronic ignition for the burners? You could hide it completely inside the frame rails, leaving only a small ignitor button exposed.

No I don't have a web site but I am interested in the ignitors where can I get them.

Thanks Pat

No I don't have a web site but I am interested in the ignitors where can I get them.

Thanks Pat

You could probably just use a Grill ignitor for that. Lowed/HD/Menards or any where. We used to use them in our Potato guns

*wow* Never would have guessed I could have contributed to this thread! haha

This makes me think I need to start a brewing club in my town, and go recruit people from the custom cycle shops. *nice work*

Fantastic job. Where did you get or what did you use to make your burner shields? Please tell me you didn't use some of that free stainless you can get.

Awesome work!!!

Can you tell me what fitting you have on the bottom of your inductor/fermenter, I just ordered one and have yet to figure out what to fit it with.

Fantastic job. Where did you get or what did you use to make your burner shields? Please tell me you didn't use some of that free stainless you can get.

Yes it was the free stainless...I made the burner shields on a tool called a sliproller.

Thanks again Pat

I'm currently building my new rig. If only I had a layout table or the clamps and miter saw to make those kind of flush welds. Sucks working on an uneven garage floor. Very nice craftsmanship.

Having the right tools is a big help.. you could make a plywood table that is level and layout your rig on it bore some holes in it with a hole saw and clamp your parts to it to keep it square..yes it will burn a little so keep some water around.

Good luck Pat

Awesome work!!!

Can you tell me what fitting you have on the bottom of your inductor/fermenter, I just ordered one and have yet to figure out what to fit it with.

I got the valve from mcmaster-carr it's an inch and a half plastic valve it was $37.00. I also used an inch and a half close nipple.

Thanks Pat

whoa.gif
Wow! Well done, my friend!

Two questions:
Why didn't you build two and sell the second one? (not much more effort to build two).
How do I get to be your friend?
Seriously though, are you a member of a club out there? I'd imagine that there are a lot of guys that would like to do a group sculpture build with your guidance.
Look increadible.

Two questions:
Why didn't you build two and sell the second one? (not much more effort to build two).
How do I get to be your friend?
Seriously though, are you a member of a club out there? I'd imagine that there are a lot of guys that would like to do a group sculpture build with your guidance.
Look increadible.

Do you want to buy one ?

Yes I belong to a club in Owosso called the SCABS.

1. Beautiful. Absolutely frigging beautiful. I think I'm going to have dirty dreams about that brewstand.

2. If you keep the same level of craftsmanship, I have little doubt that you'd be able to sell a stainless or mild steel version of this stand for a nice price. No idea whether it'd be worth it for you given materials costs and time invested.

3. If you were selling these and my budget would cover one (my budget wouldn't even cover SHIPPING one of these beasts), you'd have an order from me first...

I hope you have some friends who know what they are doing, so you can really learn how to utilize all of that right away. If you have any questions, let us know!

1. Beautiful. Absolutely frigging beautiful. I think I'm going to have dirty dreams about that brewstand.

2. If you keep the same level of craftsmanship, I have little doubt that you'd be able to sell a stainless or mild steel version of this stand for a nice price. No idea whether it'd be worth it for you given materials costs and time invested.

3. If you were selling these and my budget would cover one (my budget wouldn't even cover SHIPPING one of these beasts), you'd have an order from me first...

Shipping hell I just put a trailer hitch in it.

Thanks Pat

I hope you have some friends who know what they are doing, so you can really learn how to utilize all of that right away. If you have any questions, let us know!

I've been doing alot of research on brewing amd I know a couple of pro brewers including Joe Short but I'm sure I 'll be on here for advice.

Pat

Pat,
You need a little spst momentary pushbutton switch from radio shack, a battery powered bbq ignitor that you can get off ebay for about $20 (get a three burner one so you don't have to mess with wiring the electrodes in series), and then the electrodes themselves. The electrodes typically come with the ignitor kit, it is cheaper that way. You'll need to fab up a little bracket to extend the electrode so that it will arc to the burner body. That works fine for some burners, and for some it will not get the entire burner going. If it will not get the burner going, then you can use the little stainless collector boxes that will come with the kit. Position them near the burner so that they will capture a bit of the gas. The electrode mounts within the collector.

You can hide the ignitor itself, and its battery (typically a 9-volt) somewhere on the frame of the stand. Mine was just a bit too big to fit inside the 2" square tubing itself so I mounted it on the bracket that holds my counterflow chiller coil. You don't see it and it is protected from spills.

Get as low a voltage of ignitor as possible. You only need a tiny spark. You start getting the bigger ones and they will arc right through the insulation of the wiring you use. 18 guage stranded 250 volt wire will be ok. It is often used for rewiring lamps and small electronics. I got mine at Fry's, not sure if Radio Shack sells it. I would not use automotive wire.

Look at the parts in the kits available online and you will immediately see how the electrode parts go together.

Enjoyed the fabrication photos in your gallery. I would love to spend a few days just watching work like that being done. You learn so much by observing and by just knowing what tool is used to achieve a certain bend or shape.

Hey Woody thaks for the info..Your right about watching someone work I've read my books on metalshaping that still left me wondering but I have several dvds that helped me understand what I was reading.

Pat

Shipping hell I just put a trailer hitch in it.

Thanks Pat
Ok now your just broadcasting my idea:D I'm about 2/3 done with my brew trailer. Hoping to pop her cherry on March 7th. Please finish yours so I might steal an idea or two. I will post pics of my inferior workmanship when its complete to another thread.

Ben here's a console for a 69 Camaro it's 3003h14 alum. 64th.

You don't see too many 69 Z28 consoles made out of stainless.
Nice.

I have a 69 El Camino with an aluminum diamond plate bed that's pretty cherry but it's nothing compared to that '32 in your gallery!

JD

You don't see too many 69 Z28 consoles made out of stainless.
Nice.

I have a 69 El Camino with an aluminum diamond plate bed that's pretty cherry but it's nothing compared to that '32 in your gallery!

JD

The console is aluninum.

Pat

I still don't understand the point of this rig if you've never brewed a batch in your life...

The understanding is that it appears his main hobby is fabrication. So if he has the smallest chance to fabricate something he'll take it. Even if he doesn't like brewing, he still got the fun of building this rig. That I'm sure he'd have no problem selling for a pretty penny.

Back