Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriskkk

Reaction score
Dear fellow brewers,

I have been reading this forum for a while now and it seems everyone has there own methods, experiences that works for them.
I would like to share mine that is theoretical at the moment but will be applied in a month's time when the equipment arrives.
Here it goes!
I will blend the apples (grinding and pressing to get the juice) in order to arrive to the desired sugar and PH that i want, then will use sodium metabisulfite to sterilize and remove the wild yeast .
I will be using ale yeast and ferment at 70 degrees for about 6-8 days and will know when to move forward by measuring SG and observing the air bubbles from the airlock.
I will then crash cool to 33-35 degrees with the help of the glycol jacketed tanks, and let the remainder of the ale yeast clamp up (flocculation) and fall at the bottom and help the cider develop it's aromas and clear up (6-7 days).
Keep in mind that I will be doing gravity reading frequently and will not move forward unless I have the correct ones.
When the cider is clear enough and tastes good enough, I will rack it to the carboy and then infuse it with my the desired CO2 (forced carbonation).
After that, I will fill the bottles up with a counter pressure filler.
The batches that will not have been fermented to completion will be dived into hot baths in order to pasteurize and so that I may have something not fully dry and that way I do not need to add any type of sugar at the end.
I also have one critical question: does the type of metal make a difference for the filling machine? specifically between 304 and 316, some countries strictly sell 316 while China only used 304. Has anyone had experience with that and would know if it made any difference?

That's how I see myself doing it, and I have been reading that around 8 days in those very low temperatures will allow the flavors to develop really nicely and get a clear cider.
I could keep it for a few more days in the carboy since it will also be around 35 degrees as well.
I know that some people would give the process a minimum of 2 months, but I would like to see if it's doable in that time frame.
Your input and experience would be greatly appreciated saving me time and trial and error on those critical steps.

the desired sugar and PH that i want
You want to target a particular TA (titratable acidity), not pH, since TA is what makes the juice taste acidic.

sodium metabisulfite
If you haven't bought it yet, get the potassium salt instead. Not a big deal though.

There's a good sulfite calculator here:
http://fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html
Target 1ppm molecular SO2.

I will rack it to the carboy and then infuse it with my the desired CO2 (forced carbonation).
You mean keg? Or do you have a pressurized stainless fermentation vessel?

Everything else sounds reasonable. Welcome to HBT!

Thanks for the great feedback, will go for potassium salt instead.
Absolutely, TA is a more reliable indicator and is what I should be looking for.
I have a pressurized fermentation vessel (brite tank) for the forced carbonation.

Stainless is fine. If you have temp control, pitch at room temp then drop it to the low end of the yeast's range during the ferment. I'm glad you understand that SG and not time dictate the progress, 'cuz your anticipated timing is a bit optimistic in my experience.

Back