My Porter tastes just like the extract...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot45

Reaction score
Brewed an ironmaster Porter extract kit almost 4 weeks ago. In the primary for 14 days, then I bottled, and it has been conditioning for almost 2 weeks (it will be 2 weeks on Sunday). Last night I had to crack one open, curiosity got the best of me. It had great carbonation and great head, but it tasted just like watered down LME. I couldn't even finish it. Here is the question. Will it get better with time? Should I put the bottles in the fridge or keep them at room temperature? Could it possibly have been to green?
Also, I have an electric stove and never achieved a full boil, no hot break. I did one more extract brew like this, but it is still in the primary. I am switching to a turkey fryer to get a full boil. Will this alleviate the problem?

4 weeks is very young for a porter IMO. I take my first taste at about 8 weeks, and often let it age a couple more before really getting into it.

As far as I know, the weak boil would mostly affect the bittering hops. Hot break is not a real big deal with extract, but if you didn't get good isomerization of your hops because of the weak boil (or lack thereof), the end product can certainly reflect that. I had a similar problem when I started brewing, once I reached boiling I'd turn down the gas to a simmer because I was afraid of a boilover. Those first couple of batches were definitely lacking in bitterness, and after discovering that a good fierce boil is desirable, I've noticed the difference.

I do think your beer will improve with time, so don't give up on it yet. Tuck those bottles away for a bit (at room temp) and press on.

Also, check these boards about ways to increase body. That was an issue I had with a few of my extract kits as well.

+1 on letting it age. It can make a tremendous difference. Also, on the boil, I used the stove a few times but it took so long to boil that I moved outside. RDWHAHB. Luck - Dwain

Never found a porter I truely liked.. One of my least favorite beer styles.. but regardless let it sit..

Just an FYI.. the two kits I did with partial boils both had an off taste I couldn't put my finger on. I believe it is what people call extract twang.. Since I got my 15 gallon keg to boil in I've had no such problems.. Full boils are the way to go IMHO.

Did the kit come with enough LME for a 5 gallon batch? Single-can kits require you to add more fermentables.

IronMaster Porter was the 1st ever kit I chose to brew while attending Homebrew class here in CT. I did a 5 gallon batch and used 2 4lb.cans.Boiled ,chilled and pitched with the dry yeast included.Transferred to secondary 3 weeks later,then back to primary for bottlling. Used corn sugar ,bottled and let sit for 3 weeks while on vacation.Went to our last class with the brews we made and sampled everyones.My Porter came out exellent.
Nice head, good carb and nice flavor/even my wife liked it and she is not a dark beer lover.
Instructer wanted me to do the same for 2nd batch but with a liquid yeast to taste the difference. I accidentally grabbed 2 brown ales instead of Porter so I am doing that for 2nd batch. I will do the Porter next with liquid yeast.

Encouraging news for sure. Perhaps I just need to wait longer to taste. What is the effect of putting the bottles in the fridge to condition? Will they condition, just at a slower rate, or will they not condition at all? I had them out for about 2 weeks, but it seems that the house gets too hot during the day. I should mention that I am in Florida, and by too hot, I mean 80 degrees.
:mug:

My first brew was an Ironmaster porter, it tasted terrible and its at about 8 weeks. I am going to give it another shot tonight.

Its pretty discouraging to have your first batch taste bad. I tried one a few weeks ago and it was finally drinkable. It has carbonation but it lacks any head to speak of.

I did a batch of Ed's Haus Pale Ale though and that sucker is dang drinkable after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Im going to do a better porter here soon I think.

Also, I think you could continue to bottle condition them at room temp, jut keep them in a plastic bucket with some water a quarter way up the bottles. The evaporation should keep the temperature down (or blowing a fan at them would help the water evaporate)

I made the Midwest Brewing Power Pack Porter kit last year. I let it sit in the secondary fermenter for 4 weeks after 2 weeks in the primary. Then I let it condition in the bottle for 8 weeks before having one and it turned out extremely well.

Back