my new mash paddle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoobyBrew

Reaction score
My Mom makes handmade wooden kitchen utensils and sells online and up and down the East Coast at craft shows. She saw me brewing with one of the small 2ft spoons she had given me years ago and said I needed a bigger one like the ones she makes for the Italian restaurant I work at to stir their large batches of sauce. She tasked me with getting her demensions and the design. So after going back and forth with her and my girl friend we came up with this. I had to show it off.

It is 41"long, 4"wide, it has 2"diameter holes, all routed edges, the paddle is slightly scooped, has an angled tip, and it is unfinished.

Almost all her utensils are coated in butchers block to protect the wood but I requested this one unfinished. I wanted the wood to absorb the sugars from the malt and become seasoned.

ForumRunner_20130305_131050.jpg

ForumRunner_20130305_131128.jpg

ForumRunner_20130305_131550.jpg

ForumRunner_20130305_131705.jpg

ForumRunner_20130305_132821.jpg

ForumRunner_20130305_133819.jpg

Thank you for the comments, I'm passing them along to my Mom because she is going to start making these to sell at her booth at the craft shows, any design points you think should go into the paddle please let me know

Will do, lol, and she has a site she just doesn't have the mash paddle on there yet, I wanted to give her some feedback from people who know a lot more about brewing than I do before she goes and sells them.

I also thought it would be neat to have gallon increments for a sanke keg notched into the side of it. That way I could check the level of the boil kettle. Yes no maybe?

Nice looking paddle. I wouldn't pre-mark volume increments. Lots of different sizes of vessels out there.

link to her website? Id like to check out her work - that paddle is just the bees knees

Ok, sorry for the delay. 2 things, She is getting an exact quote on shipping but it looks like 80-85 shipped. 2nd, she can only ship paddles up to 36" in length. I guess something traumatic happened trying to ship a longer one and she won't to do it again, lol. if it was a local pickup she would do any size.

But with the overall length being 36 you could choose the size of the paddle part to be any size you want

on my 41 inch paddle the paddle part is 14 inches, I'd probably recommend 12" on a 36"

and furthermore the holes in the paddle are 2 inch diameter, you could choose those any size you want too

Back