DIY Mash Paddle in an afternoon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ-3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that mash paddles are not expensive for basic ones, but I am trying to go all grain on a budget. I made this one in an afternoon and the total cost was $5.48

This is the blank of maple I bought at the local lumber yard.
blank%20paddle_zpsqujq7jg3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was 36" long, 3/4" thick, and 5" wide. $5.06 plus tax = $5.48

After you get a blank, just draw your layout on it in pencil. If you don't care for the layout, it is easy to erase and alter. Mine will have a paddle that is 4" wide, by 16" tall with holes in 3/4", 1 1/2" and 2" sizes. The stem will be 1 1/2" wide and run the rest of the 36" length.
I drew them as diamonds, but they will be drilled out as circles.

paddle%20layout_zpsrx9y3tou.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Following other advice I had seen on this forum, I drilled the holes first then cut the paddle shape out.

Sanding was done in 3 steps, 80 grit, 150 grit, and 220 grit, it is smooth as glass.

I deceided against sealing the wood at all due to not wanting to get varnish or stain in my brews, and I don't like the idea of mineral oil leaching out either, as it may be possible to mess with head retention a bit.

But, I also did not want a paddle that was so light in color, as it will show every fingerprint each time I touch it. With that in mind I grabed my torch (I am a plumber) and went about giving the paddle a once over with the flame. It came out a bit too dark at first, so I sanded it again with 220 grit and I really like how it came out.

finished%20paddle%202_zpsnzzsphyb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And there you have it. Took about 3 hours, cost $5.48. Those of you with better wood working skills can make better ones, but this works for me. Eventually I will put marks on it in one gallon increments for easy pot measuring, but that is for a different day.

Back