My MASSIVE Craigslist Score!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mister704

Reaction score
So....I am heading home for easter this weekend to see the old folk(aka my parents).

So I decided to do a Craigslist sweep to see if there was anything out there that I may see at home or on my travel down.

SCORE!!! I happen to find this craigslist ad and it had just been posted 30 minutes before I saw it. I IMMEDIATELY contacted the guy and left a email and my number.

Losing confidence, about 4 hours later, he called me. Said I was the first email he got so I had first dibs. BUT enlightened me that he had about 5 or 6 emails of folks wanting to pick it up.

Called my brother..told him to get off his ass and get in his truck and go get this immediately!!

Just received the text from my brother letting me know he had it and was on his way back home. TOO HAPPY right now.

JZSDQ1e.png

1 - Gas Burner (sitting inside the pot in the photo) with gas line
1 - Keg
1 - Wort Chilling Coil
1 - Mash Tun
1 - Conical Fermenter
1 - Brewing Pot

$100

Guy is either rich, stupid, or desperate for money.

I don't know. I spoke with the stepson on the phone which is who put the ad up. He had to leave to do something this evening but said his stepfather would be home for the transaction. And thats all I needed to make it happen.

Was not willing to wait until tomorrow for the vultures to snag my items.

Son said he never personally used it but my bro said it all seems pretty clean except for the burner which is pretty rusted.

And I assume u r from Philly darn u beat me. If u r looking to sell anything please let me know. Trying to call dibs before anything is actually advertised

Hello my name is Drizzt and I have a brewing addiction.

Ignore me I just saw the Charlotte on the ad. Makes me feel better that I did not miss the deal in my home town

And I assume u r from Philly darn u beat me. If u r looking to sell anything please let me know. Trying to call dibs before anything is actually advertised

Nah I'm in DC area.

Fellas when I tell you I had butterflies in my stomach and was like I was going on my first date ever, it's not an understatement. I just knew I would not hear back from the guy or just get that sad "it has been sold" email.

Probably stolen. Cops will be banging on your door in a week. Brew fast ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Probably stolen. Cops will be banging on your door in a week. Brew fast ;)

Man I am going to brew in a couple of weeks.

Question now is....

Whats the best way to go about cleaning it all?

I may just buy new hoses since that is the easier thing to do. No reason to have something happen to the beer because I was too cheap to buy a few things to ensure proper cleanliness.

I am guessing, wash everything (I have a pressure washer), then use some spray bottles of StarSan to ensure I get all the nooks and crannies. Let it all sit then hit it again with a StarSan wash and spray.

New hoses are a great idea.

The flaw in your cleaning plan is the Starsan, which is a sanitizer.

Get yourself some unscented oxyclean or go to LHBS and get some PBW, one step or similar cleaner. The key ingredient is sodium percarbonate.
You really only need to use this on the visibly soiled things, if they have dried on gunk. Mix it up with hot water and soak for a while until the debris comes loose.
Get yourself some BarKeepers Friend and a green scotch brite scrubby and clean all the metals BUT not plastics.

New hoses are a great idea.

The flaw in your cleaning plan is the Starsan, which is a sanitizer.

Get yourself some unscented oxyclean or go to LHBS and get some PBW, one step or similar cleaner. The key ingredient is sodium percarbonate.
You really only need to use this on the visibly soiled things, if they have dried on gunk. Mix it up with hot water and soak for a while until the debris comes loose.
Get yourself some BarKeepers Friend and a green scotch brite scrubby and clean all the metals BUT not plastics.

My apologies....I totally meant to say OxyClean. I use it for cleaning all my bottles and carboys.

Will look into the BarKeepers Friend and scotch brite(which I am pretty sure I have already).

I live pretty close to charlotte and emailed the same guy about this stuff. You beat me to it! Happy brewing - let me know if you wanna get rid of it!

I live pretty close to charlotte and emailed the same guy about this stuff. You beat me to it! Happy brewing - let me know if you wanna get rid of it!

The guy told me he had like 10 folks interested. Glad my brother was free to grab it

I wonder how long it took him to realize that he might have been able to charge more and still move the stuff fast.

I have no idea. He who I spoke with said he had never used it. I have no idea who's stuff it really was. He was the stepson who made the ad, my brother picked it up from step-dad so don't know who ever really did the brewing. I'm guessing it was step-dad but I have no idea

COuld have been left behinds by former tenants or some sort of basement/garage find. That keggle almost looks like it is brand new, and everything else looks unused (aside from the IC) great find. I am kinda jealous I have always been too late when looking for brewing equipment on CL.

COuld have been left behinds by former tenants or some sort of basement/garage find. That keggle almost looks like it is brand new, and everything else looks unused (aside from the IC) great find. I am kinda jealous I have always been too late when looking for brewing equipment on CL.

Could of been but for all I know it was just in a older couples garage. I am home now so I will be checking all the stuff out today. Will update with better pics in a few.

And man this the first Craigslist pickup for me of significance. Most have been one or two carboys and some bottles.

Blue cooler is a 5 gallon. I am actually a little confused about the inside of the cooler. It has like a wort chiller coil inside of it like it was used to chill the mash. Not really sure. Seems a little weird. The keg is DEFINITELY close to new...not really a ding on it.

The wort chilling coils pictured are in good shape but I will be buying new hoses for sure.

I will probably order the Weldless mash keggle kit from MoreBeer to convert the keg. Might as well do it once and be done for $60

MiniBrew Conical Fermentor = VERY good shape. Even had the airlock and bunge inside it. So it literally had all components.

Pot = smaller than I thought...welded valve opening which is nice(will check for leaking tomorrow). Definitely looks like a 5-6 gallon pot.

End of the day...I am still very happy with the purchase. The gas burner is definitely RUSTED but I didn't even know it was in the deal so whatever. I will probably have to buy a burner seeing that all the threads I see about a keggle are folks struggling to get enough heat to get things boiling.

I said GOD DAYUM!

Probably a moderately wealthy guy who thought he'd love this stuff, but was too dumb, impatient or it wasn't his thing.

I said GOD DAYUM!

Probably a moderately wealthy guy who thought he'd love this stuff, but was too dumb, impatient or it wasn't his thing.

Hey you are in my area. Centreville...NICE. I am down in NC for easter but how is this for a coincidence. I live in Centreville.

Blue cooler is a 5 gallon. I am actually a little confused about the inside of the cooler. It has like a wort chiller coil inside of it like it was used to chill the mash. Not really sure. Seems a little weird. The keg is DEFINITELY close to new...not really a ding on it.

So the coil is built into the cooler? Then I would say it is probably supposed to be some sort of a pre-chiller?

Keg looks like a non stolen one too. Those keggles when bought are way more than what you got it all for. Once again, great score.

Back