My mash temp is too low, will this kill me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockout

Reaction score
I think my electronic thermometer decided to go nutty on me this morning. When I poured my grain into my cooler with the 170 degree water, I took a temp reading just like I always do. Instead of 150, it said 164. After a few minutes of stirring, it was still at 161 and I was getting suspicious, so I took my trusty old analog regular tube thermometer and dropped it in there. It said 142 after I let it stabilize. I immediately covered the mash.

Is this going to affect me terribly? Will leaving the mash going longer than 60 minutes help me? Can I add hot water to it now? This has never happened to me before and I'm desperate for help!

Never mind, I just opened my mash cooler up to check again (25 minutes into mashing) and the thermometer read dead-on 150. I guess I forgot to RDWHAHB... although it's only 10 am here.

I still have my other problem, though - when measuring the temp of my sparge water my electronic thermometer says 178 and my old-school one says 165. Which one are you more likely to trust? They've always matched up in the past, until today.

I'm personally more inclined to trust the analog model. I've had TONS of trouble with electric thermometers in the past; the wire can get scuffed easily, and they'll just go haywire.

Thermometers are cheap, though. Just buy a new one and check it against the readings from both. Then you'll know fore sure.

I would boil a pot of water and stick the thermometers to see what they read. If one of them doesn't read 212, then that's the one that is off. I find that my electric one is more accurate than my analog thermometer.

Back