Slugs on grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 343524

Reaction score
Greetings fellow fermenters

At the end of the summer, I was donated a great haul of homegrown grapes to make wine with.

Many of them had started to spoil so I went through the lot by hand, discarding the obviously bad fruit and bathing the lot in fresh water. I ended up with about 4.5kg of good fruit.

Doing this, I came across the occasional neonate (tiny baby slugs) which I obviously discarded. These are seriously small beings. Like a few millimetres in size.

So here’s the thing. I know that slugs can be dangerous, even poisonous, if consumed. And these things are so small I don’t know if I might have missed one, two, several…

My process for winemaking is to freeze/thaw/repeat to break down the fruit before fermenting.

Does anyone know these tiny slugs would be a problem for my wine if some made it through my sift? That Campden tablets wouldn’t solve?

I obviously don’t want to make anyone ill except by drinking too much at once!

Cheers

P.S. Tried to see if there were any similar threads already, apologies if I missed something relevant

Greetings fellow fermenters

At the end of the summer, I was donated a great haul of homegrown grapes to make wine with.

Many of them had started to spoil so I went through the lot by hand, discarding the obviously bad fruit and bathing the lot in fresh water. I ended up with about 4.5kg of good fruit.

Doing this, I came across the occasional neonate (tiny baby slugs) which I obviously discarded. These are seriously small beings. Like a few millimetres in size.

So here’s the thing. I know that slugs can be dangerous, even poisonous, if consumed. And these things are so small I don’t know if I might have missed one, two, several…

My process for winemaking is to freeze/thaw/repeat to break down the fruit before fermenting.

Does anyone know these tiny slugs would be a problem for my wine if some made it through my sift? That Campden tablets wouldn’t solve?

I obviously don’t want to make anyone ill except by drinking too much at once!

Cheers

P.S. Tried to see if there were any similar threads already, apologies if I missed something relevant
Do a search on snails/slugs from the area and see what's ya got. Maybe nothing that would harm anything especially if you could match up what you saw.

Latest posts

Back