My Keezer is done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrainToGlass

Reaction score
Kenmore 8.8 cu. ft.
2x6 Inner Collar
1x8 Outer Collar
5 Perlick 630SS
Micromatic Primary
Taprite Secondary
Lots of coffee
:mug:

KeezerClosed.jpg

Keezer.jpg

Perlick.jpg

Gauges.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Beautiful!
What do you call the silver insulation stuff? I think my keezer needs some :)

I appreciate it, it's called Reflectix insulation that I found at Lowes. Really easy to work with, plus it's shiny...

Do you know how many ball lock kegs will fit on the floor?

4 will fit on the floor. My setup will be 3 (5Gal) ball locks and a 20lb CO2 tank on the floor, plus 2 (2.5Gal) ball locks on the hump which will hold split batches.

Updating with build pics for anyone interested. Here we go!

Brand new 8.8 cu. ft. Kenmore

2x6 Pine and 1x8 Red Oak

Drilling out the tap holes. 7/8" Spade bit.

Boards cut and inner collar connected with brackets. Testing fitment with outer collar.

Freezer lid relocated and checking fitment.

Time to stain!

Drip tray sandwiched in between collars with shanks installed. Both collars glued together with Liquid Nails.

Laid a layer of rubber foam strip onto freezer lip and sealed with silicone.

Sealing the collar onto the freezer with more silicone.

Putting on a layer of rubber foam strip to properly seal with the lid.

Reflectix insulation installed. Mounted a board to extend out and hold the secondary regulators.

Insulation finished and secondary regulators mounted.

Snaked the temp probe though the collar and insulation. I submerged the probe inside a 22oz bottle filled with water.

ThermoStar mounted at the back with a swivel to stay out of sight, but easy to access.

Installing the 630SS Perlicks.

Tell me more about how that drip tray is affixed to the collar!

This is a beautiful piece of work :)

I think this is similar to how I was planning on doing mine. It's a wall mounted drip tray with holes for the shanks to pass through. So it's supported by the faucet shanks between the inner and outer collar.

Didn't notice a reply to the thread so pardon the late response. Well, sketchykg pretty much nailed it.

Inner Collar > Drip Tray > Outer Collar > Shanks

I think this is similar to how I was planning on doing mine. It's a wall mounted drip tray with holes for the shanks to pass through. So it's supported by the faucet shanks between the inner and outer collar.

Exactly, thanks! I hate seeing nice collars covered up by hanging drip trays on the front, but that's just my opinion. :D

I finally got my backsplash and installed it on my work in progress today. Didn't realize that the edges of the backsplash were not flat, so I had to route a channel on the back of the outer collar. probably could have spaced the taps closer, since the outside taps bearly hit the tray, but live and learn! Jealous of yours. I see a lot I'd do differently when this freezer craps out!

Keezer_to_date.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got my backsplash and installed it on my work in progress today. Didn't realize that the edges of the backsplash were not flat, so I had to route a channel on the back of the outer collar. probably could have spaced the taps closer, since the outside taps bearly hit the tray, but live and learn! Jealous of yours. I see a lot I'd do differently when this freezer craps out!

Looks awesome! That backsplash curved edge is a bit odd, but I'm glad to see you made it fit properly. Nice touch with the chalkboard tap list. Keep it up and Cheers! :mug:

Beautiful build!

I just ordered the parts to do mine. I'm planning to use red oak as well for the collar. Can you tell me what color stain you used? I love how it stands out against the black freezer. Well done sir!

Beautiful build!

I just ordered the parts to do mine. I'm planning to use red oak as well for the collar. Can you tell me what color stain you used? I love how it stands out against the black freezer. Well done sir!

Thanks a lot! It's called American Chestnut by Minwax and it's the PolyShades version which you can find at Lowes.

Cheers!

absolutely beautiful work, definitely what I'm going to model my own after. My only question is do you, or will you be using a fan inside?

I think with a keezer its a good idea. Mine gets stratified so much that the taps and lines at the top don't get cool enough. I had foaming issues even with a fan. I fixed it by adjusting the fan location and making sure cold air gets to the back side of the taps.

I think with a keezer its a good idea. Mine gets stratified so much that the taps and lines at the top don't get cool enough. I had foaming issues even with a fan. I fixed it by adjusting the fan location and making sure cold air gets to the back side of the taps.

Not a bad idea... So many different ideas on the fans from not having one at all to, to the idea that air just needs to move a bit in there. not to thread jack, but i wonder how many people run their fans nonstop, or periodically :off:

Beautiful job, I'm building my own in the next few weeks and using this as inspiration.

absolutely beautiful work, definitely what I'm going to model my own after. My only question is do you, or will you be using a fan inside?

That's awesome guys! I'm truly humbled and will gladly provide guidance if you have any trouble. I currently do not run a fan as I have not experienced any foaming or significant temperature stratification problems. I do get some minor moisture from time to time on the walls and floor due to me opening the lid quite often, but that's resolved with an Eva-Dry dehumidifier and towel drying when exchanging kegs. No worries.
:mug:

Some pointers that I forgot to mention in my earlier posts:

-I use 10 ft. beer lines. I coil the slack with velcro and lay it on the bottom floor tucked in between the kegs where it's the coldest. I believe this has helped me greatly with avoiding foaming issues.

-As you can see with my first gas line, it's much longer than the rest. The 5 foot gas line allows me to easily reach out and purge any carboys or kegs outside of the keezer.

-It's much easier to rack into an empty keg already placed inside the keezer than it is trying to lift a full keg over the collar and into position. Might be common sense I guess, although that "Aha!" moment hit me pretty hard. :drunk:

Some pointers that I forgot to mention in my earlier posts:

-I use 10 ft. beer lines. I coil the slack with velcro and lay it on the bottom floor tucked in between the kegs where it's the coldest. I believe this has helped me greatly with avoiding foaming issues.

-As you can see with my first gas line, it's much longer than the rest. The 5 foot gas line allows me to easily reach out and purge any carboys or kegs outside of the keezer.

-It's much easier to rack into an empty keg already placed inside the keezer than it is trying to lift a full keg over the collar and into position. Might be common sense I guess, although that "Aha!" moment hit me pretty hard. :drunk:

I'm sure I'm not alone when saying "thank you for your thoroughness." I wish a regulator for each brew were in the budget here, but a 3 way manifold will have to do for now :mug:

I'm sure I'm not alone when saying "thank you for your thoroughness." I wish a regulator for each brew were in the budget here, but a 3 way manifold will have to do for now :mug:

That's not a bad place to start at all, as long as it's moving forward to your goal!

Love the build! Going to build something similar...love the stain you used against the black keezer and stainless faucets!

Latest posts

Back