my first time using a wort chiller... was a disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
So I used a wort chiller for the first time (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gonna-use-immersion-wort-chiller-first-time-154493/). The short story:
* I couldn't get a good connection to my sink.
* It was probably 40 minutes total before my beer was cool.
* I broke my kitchen sink nozzle
* I sliced my fingers at least 3 times.
* i also made several questionable decisions regarding the beer itself... so I hope the beer still turns out ok.

The details:
It started with trying to cut a 15' hose into 2 pieces, and adding my own connectors. It was a 5/8 hose and supposedly the connectors could fit in either a 3/4 or 5/8 hose... getting them in was nearly impossible. I had to soak the ends of the hose in hot water to loosen them up, stretched them with pliers, and in the end, I think I scrunched up the inner lining and crimped the hose, making the connections not that great. Lesson learned: going to find a "one piece" hose without an inner lining, and make sure the connectors can be inserted more easily.

Next, to connect it to my sink, I took the aerator out of my nozzle and put in a hose adaptor. First problem: the aerator threads were so deep in the nozzle that the first adaptor I bought wouldn't catch. So I searched 3 stores until I found one that worked. Awesome. Tested it out, seemed fine.

So then it comes time to cool the beer. Got it all hooked up, turned on the faucet and it starts spraying out the adaptor connection. after resetting it several times, 10 minutes or so later, I finally put the kettle on the ground (instead of on the sink), and that helped out enough to get water flowing through the chiller, with some still coming out the connection... so I let it sit. It probably took 25-30 min. I think an ice bath would have been faster, especially with the 10+ min I spent resetting the connections. Lesson learned: I think I might completely take off the nozzle next time, and find an adaptor that connects directly to the sink hose.

Oh, meanwhile I had sliced my fingers while griping the various threads on the adaptors. Lesson learned: don't turn pipes and stuff by their threads with your bare hands.

So I finally finish making the beer. Time to clean up. Go to put the aerator back in, and the nozzle is leaking like crazy. Try to reset it several times, and eventually the nozzle snaps open. Oops. Luckily home depot is still open, so I run down there, grab another nozzle, come home, put it on, and get back to cleaning up.

Meanwhile regarding the beer, I topped off the fermenter higher than I wanted to (should be quite a blow off with the 3068 too...), I didn't think to sanitize tongs to place the orange in the carboy so I used my bare hands without thinking about infection risks, and when i pitched the yeast out of my starter I didn't shake it up well enough and left a bunch of stuff stuck to the bottom of the beaker.

Oh well, time to relax and have a home brew or two (or three), wait a few weeks, and figure out a better setup for my wort chiller!

Sorry bud. FWIW, when it comes to new equipment I always do a practice run with water first too see how it performs or fails.

I saw some replacement faucet aerators at Lowes that had garden hose threads on the outside. You can leave it in place and thread a regular garden hose onto it with out mucking with the sink.

I wouldn't worry about the beer, Im sure it faired better than you ;) keep at it mate!

All I needed to hear was removing the aerator. You have male, female and a couple different threads to figure out before you can find an adapter to go to hose pipe threads. Then unless you know exactly what size fittings/connections you need it quickly turns into a nightmare.

All I needed to hear was removing the aerator. You have male, female and a couple different threads to figure out before you can find an adapter to go to hose pipe threads. Then unless you know exactly what size fittings/connections you need it quickly turns into a nightmare.

Take the aerator out of the faucet, bring it to lows and tell the guy you want to go from that to a garden hose. Easy peasy ;)

Instead of a section of garden hose you could just get a shorter washing machine hose.many of the garden hoses are"kink" proof,giving you the extra layer of stuff that is not very compatible with barbed fittings.

My first 3 experiences with my IC were a nightmare too, so I feel for ya. I still have little scars on my fingers from gripping the threading bare-handed. And the hose that attaches from the sink to the chiller still leaks where it is clamped onto the copper (despite a metal clamp, a plastic clamp and a wire tie). However, I set the water at a flow rate where the leaking water sprays (a small stream) out of the vicinity of the pot. Not ideal, but it works and I am still infection free (knock on wood). The best piece of advice I received was to stir the wort while cooling. Especially stir around the coils, and then around the edges of the pot. That allows the cooler wort to be mixed in with the hot wort. If not the cool wort just hangs out around the coils, forming a boundary layer, kinda like a thermocline.

Always do a trialrun,having said that when i made my imerssion chiller i used 2 hose clamps and it still had a stream cumming out.Once i set it up for outdoor use for AG it became a slow drip???? I think it is wise to always do a trial run to avoid disaster!I wouldnt worry so much about infection ive done some pretty questionable brew techniques at times an never had a problem. Good luck next time!!

ok - went to home depot, got some stuff, tested it out, and it works.

I bought a 2-pack of washing machine hoses (5ft each), a 1/2in-3/4in adapter, and a male/male 3/4 in adapter, hooked it all up, no leaks. Probably about $16-18 more spent.

Now I just need to brew another beer and put it to a real test!

Has anyone ever thought to put a 2nd-dary hookup UNDER the sink directly off the main shutoff so you can hook it up and break it back down without damaging you existing faucet?

I would think you would just need a 3-way of whatever you already have, another shutoff valve and an adapter to what you need. That way you could just screw it in under you sink and take it off while still having some other dumb **** weird strainer like I have on my sink(an not breaking it would keep SWMBO happy).

Just a thought...
-ArXiX

Latest posts

Back