My first result!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldf150

Reaction score
I just opened my first cold bottle of my first batch. It's a Austin Homebrew kit recipe of a Dusseldorf Altbier. I added the 1% alcohol booster. It has only been in the bottles abt 10 days or so, but I couldn't wait. It poured dark amber, slightly hazy, kept a head and lacing throughout the imbibing. I'm not sure what an Alt is supposed to taste like, this one is something like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but not as bright on the back of the palate, more grainish. Also, the alcohol wang is a bit more prominent. Probably will not use the etoh booster next time. I am wondering what parts of the taste can I expect to change as it ages in the bottle.

Nice. Welcome to the obsession. As long as it tasted good to you, you should think "Job well done".

I just opened my first cold bottle of my first batch. It's a Austin Homebrew kit recipe of a Dusseldorf Altbier. I added the 1% alcohol booster. It has only been in the bottles abt 10 days or so, but I couldn't wait. It poured dark amber, slightly hazy, kept a head and lacing throughout the imbibing. I'm not sure what an Alt is supposed to taste like, this one is something like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but not as bright on the back of the palate, more grainish. Also, the alcohol wang is a bit more prominent. Probably will not use the etoh booster next time. I am wondering what parts of the taste can I expect to change as it ages in the bottle.

This "alcohol wang" may be due to the fermentation temperature and/or the beer's maturity. Fermenting too warm will cause the yeast to produce higher level alcohols instead of just ethanol. Longer time in the bottles may reduce this.

Leaving it in primary 3-7 days after it hit FG would've given time to clean some of those flavors up. Besides the fact it seems to be a little green yet.

Back